Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me I'm not the only horribly sentimental one out there?!

(21 Posts)
Poppity Mon 01-Jun-09 18:37:05

Ok, last week I posted on here as I watched Enchanted with a lump in my throat and I absolutely loved it.

Now I am watching Mamma Mia, and am properly weeping at Slipping Through my Fingers....

Please tell me I'm not the only onegrin
Or tell me to Get. Over. Myself.grin

HeadFairy Mon 01-Jun-09 18:39:06

My sister cried at Scott and Charlene's wedding on Neighbours (Kylie and Jason Donovan for those of you too young to remember ). Now THAT'S soppy!

I always pride myself at being a hard hearted cow but was horrified to find myself sobbing at Titanic, the most ridiculous film ever made.

Nothing wrong with being an emotional person in my book.

Tootiredforthis Mon 01-Jun-09 18:39:50

Not pregnant are you? I wept at washing powder commercials when I was! (the whites were just so overwhelming!)

Aimsmum Mon 01-Jun-09 18:40:05

Message withdrawn

FabulousBakerGirl Mon 01-Jun-09 18:40:43

I was thinking pregnancy too grin

endless Mon 01-Jun-09 18:42:42

i cried at that bit in mama mia....and there on in.
i cry at childrens films, i was inconsolable the other night at "previously on er" when they showed a bit that i had not previously seen.
i cry at poems, at people talking about their children affectionately, at the news.

tis an affliction i tell you. awful.

Poppity Mon 01-Jun-09 18:48:15

Tootired, I don't think so....washing often reduces me to tears actuallygrin

I have found it's much much worse since my children though!

The signs were always there though- pre kids I went to see Sense and Sensibility(the Emma Thompson one) at the cinema in the day, by myself 4 timesblush

Am weeping at the ending now.....

Poppity Mon 01-Jun-09 18:49:31

Oooo endless, I know. I can feel myself welling up and have to try and hide!

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 01-Jun-09 18:54:47

I cried at bigfoot and the hendersons when the dad slapped the beastie across the face to get it to go back to the wild. blush

LightShinesInTheDarkness Mon 01-Jun-09 19:08:43

Poppity - you probably have a DD, right?
That part of Mamma Mia made me cry at the time, and just reinforced how precious our time with our kids is.
I don't that sentimental - just in touch with your feelings!

silkcushion Mon 01-Jun-09 19:11:44

ok Poppity I cried at that bit too (3 weeks ago when I saw it for the first time) and dh bought my the soundtrack and I cried listening to it in my car the other day blush

However - I am heavily pg and I have lovely 18 month old daughter who is growing up so fast and....

... now I'm bloody crying again

Shouldn't have opend the thread!!!

Pheebe Mon 01-Jun-09 19:13:21

I was quite frankly a hard faced cow til I met DH and had our DCs. Now I weep (and I mean weep) at the drop of a hat.

My last real sob was a few weeks ago when I saw the clip of Marnie (I forget her surname) when she had to hand her kids over to her shit of an egyptian husband.

OK so that was real life and someones real pain but really anything can set me off these days. MIL has a way of finding cards with loads of words on that are very meaningful - she never fails to have me in tears. Think I'm one of the few people who actually loves her MIL, even though she's intensly irritating at times.

So after that rambling diatribe - no YANBU grin

Pheebe Mon 01-Jun-09 19:14:23

O and I also cried recently when I read somewhere that we don't own our children we only borrow them for a short time... sad

LightShinesInTheDarkness Mon 01-Jun-09 19:17:25

Pheebe - I think that quote you are referring to comes from 'The Prophet' by Kahil Gibran.
I read it aloud at my DS's 1st birthday.

Portofino Mon 01-Jun-09 19:18:05

No, I cry at ANYTHING! Titanic, Scott and Charlene, people winning gold medals, SATC movie etc etc. DH is very good at knowing exactly when to bring the tissues. blush

LightShinesInTheDarkness Mon 01-Jun-09 19:20:23

Actually, its Kahlil - but here it is :

On Children

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, "Speak to us of Children." And he said:

Your children are not your children.

They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.

They come through you but not from you,

And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts.

For they have their own thoughts.

You may house their bodies but not their souls,

For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.

For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;

For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Poppity Mon 01-Jun-09 19:38:38

That's beautiful Lightshines and Pheebe

Now I feel like an inadequate mother.

I'm flooding the place here!

I'm glad so many others are the same, I can blub and feel normal now.

Poppity Mon 01-Jun-09 19:41:32

Headfairy, Scott and Charlene's wedding was very emotionalgrin

I do have a DD, lovely isn't it?(DSs lovely too!)

Pheebe Mon 01-Jun-09 20:19:58

Lightshines - thank you so much for that, its so much more beautiful in its entirety smile

Poppity - I'm also glad to know I'm not alone in my soppiness grin

Pheebe Mon 01-Jun-09 20:20:15

Lightshines - thank you so much for that, its so much more beautiful in its entirety smile

Poppity - I'm also glad to know I'm not alone in my soppiness grin

LightShinesInTheDarkness Mon 01-Jun-09 20:26:02

I found the whole text online here Its lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now