Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to thump a website for telling me I'm overweight?

(6 Posts)
bleh Mon 01-Jun-09 16:51:02

I was checking my BMI (which was in the normal range), didn't know my hip and waist measurements, so just left them as they were in default mode, and the cheeky website said "you're overweight, but with a little help, can get back in shape".

Stupid website

Morloth Mon 01-Jun-09 17:05:21

I think BMI is the biggest crock of shit I have ever heard TBH.

According to that, I am overweight. I wear a size 8-10 (depending on chocolate situation).

Complete and utter bullshit - there are way too many variables between people that are just not taken into account.

pjmama Mon 01-Jun-09 17:08:37

I want to thump my dh for telling me I'm overweight (my bmi is 21.4)

Perfectly normal reaction - thump away wink

TakeLovingChances Mon 01-Jun-09 22:33:51

In my gym theres a machine that measures blood pressure, bmi, 'fat percentage' of body, 'ideal' weight etc all the usual crap.... To be honest, I believe it if it tells me a 'good' result, but if not I 100% do not trust it. blush

I wear a size 10-12, don't think I'm huge or anything, but could do with shedding about 5lbs.

But yeah, I'd want to thump that website too bleh.

pingviner Mon 01-Jun-09 23:35:32

BMI is a very problematic tool, especially for children, those who are tall, short, muscular in fact its pretty crap all round, take it with a pinch of salt. (Yes, puns were deliberate)

I dont mean by this that there is no point to aspiring to a more healthy diet and lifestyle but dont obsess over the numbers!

I think BMI has become a useful shorthand but a tool that many regard as gospel without looking at its limitations- eg as a mathematical formula, as statistically representative of the population today and thats without even starting on what a BMI of overweight/obese means for the individual at any stage in their life. I know many people will cite BMI as giving a target, a supposedly objective, definitive number to aim for but it really doesnt do that well.
A better measurement might be hip to waist ratio - has some good correlations with chances of heart disease etc in later life.

simple critique of the calculation by some greek chap, because I really need to go to bed and stop muttering about geometry

bleh Tue 02-Jun-09 09:57:42

Thanks everyone. I swear that if the website had seen me it wouldn't have said that (about a size 10/12, 5 foot 7 ... normal).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now