Talk

Advanced search

To be in such a bad state?

(11 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Sun 31-May-09 23:05:16

To prepare DS1 for secondary school in September tomorrow we are trusting him to come home from school by himself.
My mum is going to get on the bus with him and get off 2 stops later to get a bus home. He then has to travel 6 stops by himself!
I know it doesn't seem far but I am so worried!!! He has never gone further than the corner shop by himself and even then i worry the whole 6 minutes time he is gone.

and yes he is my PFB!!!!

PremenstrualChickens Sun 31-May-09 23:11:47

YANBU, but you are being a responsible parent by preparing your PFB to be a bit more independent. Hope it goes well

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 31-May-09 23:14:35

Pre, I am just so so worried lol. I know it is only 6 stops but......

PremenstrualChickens Sun 31-May-09 23:18:53

I would/will be exactly the same. Scary to let your 'baby' go! I bet he'll be so proud of himself, though wink

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 31-May-09 23:22:46

Prem, i dread to think what I will be like when ds2 is old enough lol I have 9 years between them.

sunnydelight Sun 31-May-09 23:24:37

You're being really sensible getting him prepared now, yes it is scary but if you (and he) can deal with your anxieties now he'll be in a much better position come September. Starting secondary is a big step - does he have/will he have a phone? I agonised over this one - the security of knowing he could contact me (or I him) versus the risk of him being a target for theft, but I think once they are coming home by themselves it's worth giving them a cheap one.

cornsilk Sun 31-May-09 23:25:34

Aw! My ds1 (Y6) has been gadding about by himself for ages (not always with my permission) so I'm quite relaxed about it now. I was a mess when he started pre - school though!

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 31-May-09 23:39:45

He has a very cheap basic mobile I bought him a couple of years ago. Am going to look in shops for something a tad better though lol

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 01-Jun-09 20:03:06

He did the journey I was waiting at the bus stop for him and he looked so little sitting on the bus on his own!!!

PremenstrualChickens Mon 01-Jun-09 20:10:55

Bet he was pleased with himself, though! Well done you for earning another 'right of passage in mummydom' badge

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 01-Jun-09 21:14:46

Prem, Thankyou now where do I collect my award for letting go a bit?

He has been so good since coming home as well, he has looked after ds2 while i have been writhing and crying on the sofa in agony with a tooth ache

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now