Talk

Advanced search

to be fed up with people saying "fed up OF" ...

(71 Posts)
howtotellmum Sun 31-May-09 22:01:44

do they not know the correct preposition after "fed-up"?

and also the use of "of" after "off" such as...

can't think of an example, but someone will..the "of" is not needed.......

SoupDragon Sun 31-May-09 22:14:32

I'm fed up of people nit picking other peoples' grammer.

[snigger]

MrsMuddle Sun 31-May-09 22:34:04

Can you get off of the chair?

(That's an example, not a request.)

Marthasmama Sun 31-May-09 22:42:12

It's fed-up with right?

ILoveDolly Sun 31-May-09 22:44:11

Bad grammar and bad spelling tick me right off,

especially when it's my own on a MN post, and I only notice after I've posted grin

Marthasmama Sun 31-May-09 22:49:39

I agree, Tsk me, I should have used a comma after the with.

Bonneville Sun 31-May-09 22:50:18

YANBU Should of; could of; drives me insane but not as much as 'brought' when it should be 'bought' GRRRRRRRRRR!

MrsEricBana Sun 31-May-09 22:54:02

YANBU - where was these people brung up

cheerychapstick Sun 31-May-09 22:55:50

slightly tangentially... have you noticed how BBC reporters are giving up on adverbs... so trains over the bank holiday were going slow ... I find myself shouting "ly" at the television more and more often.

Like a bad tempered old loon...

Don't even start me on few/less!

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 31-May-09 22:57:55

OOh yes, Bonneville, my mum does that the other way round. For example, might say "I bought a cake for us to have with our cuppa" when she made it herself. Used to confuse me as a child something rotten.

littlelamb Sun 31-May-09 22:57:58

But doesn't grammar evolve with language? I predict in one genration, of will be the correct way of saying it grin Now if you want a really good one, down here in the depths of the westcountry, people don't ask where something is, they ask where it's to. Has puzzled me for ages.

MrsEricBana Sun 31-May-09 22:58:33

Also, saying "...the electric" instead of electricity. Agree re few/less. (I am anxious am going to make a grammatical error now!)

MrsEricBana Sun 31-May-09 23:00:35

That's an odd one isn't it littlelamb - that's definitely a regional thing rather than poor english though isn't it.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 31-May-09 23:01:13

The media has (or should that be "have"?) gone completely downhill when it comes to grammar. The newspapers are the worst. But I've seen glaring grammatical errors on BBC news programmes too.

Makes me feel all old because I really want to say what my grandma used to always say "These young people today - aren't they educated?!" Someone is employing these people FGS.

Bonneville Sun 31-May-09 23:01:33

And people saying "can I get" instead of "may I have" in shops. Oh dear I really need to get a life!

MrsEricBana Sun 31-May-09 23:03:43

Is that a US thing Bonneville? In films they always seem to say "can I get an X to go" etc

littlelamb Sun 31-May-09 23:04:12

I was on the phone to my friend, trying to establish where I was, and all she kept saying was 'where you to?' I just kept thinking 'What do you mean????' blush

MrsEricBana Sun 31-May-09 23:04:16

Or should that be "an US thing" - aaaaaaaaaargh!

lockets Sun 31-May-09 23:04:59

Message withdrawn

Marthasmama Sun 31-May-09 23:05:05

The one that really annoys me is 'myself' instead of 'me' or 'yourself' instead of 'you'. People seem to think it is more correct or posh some how. The police often use it in statements. 'The gentleman approached myself' hmm Almost as if there is a separate entity that is, ones 'self'.

cheerychapstick Sun 31-May-09 23:14:44

littlelamb - I grew up in Devon, and one of the lads in my French class said

"ou est le chat a"

Please imagine where the accents are, I've no idea how to put them in...

littlelamb Sun 31-May-09 23:15:56

grin
That's so funny!

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 31-May-09 23:16:12

Sorry but YABU. You should have posted in Pedants' Corner.

grin

ineedalifelaundry Sun 31-May-09 23:39:33

It's 'should of' 'could of' 'would of' that drive me insane. My DH used 'should of' in a formal letter the other day (he always gets me to proof read his letters thankfully) and I found myself seriously wondering why I had married someone so intellectually inferior. Which was incredibly unfair and snobbish of me. He's very clever in his own way; just not great at grammar.

A turn of phrase that I find particularly galling at the moment is 'So I just turned round and I said to him...' Why does everyone insist on performing a pirouette before making any utterance?

Also 'At the end of the day...' irritates the bejesus out of me.

Baisey Mon 01-Jun-09 08:27:41

My ex came from West Brom he always used to say "you am" instead of "you are" drove me insane, needless to say he soon got dumped!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now