Talk

Advanced search

I RSVP'ed by text......

(24 Posts)
tigana Sun 31-May-09 21:03:53

to a party invite from one of DS's preschool friends.
DH thinks it was a horrific thing to do and has just 'told me off' for being so rude.
In my defence...the "RSVP" on the invite just gave a mobile number and the other party invite he has received had "RSVP by text on 123456, tel on 456789 or by post to 12 abc" so I was in mindset that texting was ok. I didn't even consider phoning...

Part of me is now cringing inside..but only because DH reacted in that way.

If it helps, the other mum is pretty young so likely to be mobile-savvy.

Am I hideously socially inept?

jkklpu Sun 31-May-09 21:05:11

No, if they gave the mobile no only, it's fine. I've done that, too, especially if I didn't actually know the other parent.

nickytwotimes Sun 31-May-09 21:05:21

Yanbu.
In the context, texting is absolutley correct.

If your dh is so up in arms about it, tell him to take care of the party invites next time.

FabulousBakerGirl Sun 31-May-09 21:05:31

I text rather than ring. Don't worry about it.

sagacious Sun 31-May-09 21:05:34

Bloody hell
It asked to rsvp by text you did

Tis fine

Your dh is being a twat

Fimbo Sun 31-May-09 21:05:40

All replies to parties are done via text at my ds's school - seems to be the norm these days. It was phone calls when dd was at the same school 4 years ago...

Ponders Sun 31-May-09 21:05:42

When they only give a mobile number, texting is a better way than (eg) leaving a voicemail message that they may not get. Sounds fine to me smile not rude at all.

thisisyesterday Sun 31-May-09 21:05:44

not at all, if they left a mobile number it's fine to text IMO.

fucksticks Sun 31-May-09 21:06:00

Sounds fine.
Think about it the other way round - if you were hosting a party it would be miuch quicker and easier to receive a dozen texts to work through than all those phone calls and polite chit chat with people you dont even know! She will be grateful A. that you replied and B. that you texted!

squeaver Sun 31-May-09 21:06:58

Stop cringing. And tell your dh to get with the programme, Daddio. What century doe she think he's living in?

peppapighastakenovermylife Sun 31-May-09 21:07:09

I would be asking myself what he would have done in the situation - I presume he left it to you to sort out?! Or am I just being cynical here - my DH has a habit of criticising what I do when he does nothing!

And text just fine.

preggersplayspop Sun 31-May-09 21:07:14

It's fine. I put my mobile number onto my DS's invites, expecting texts. I was surprised when someone actually called and left a message!

oxocube Sun 31-May-09 21:07:17

No - if the invitation gave the option of replying by SMS, then you have not breached any 'code' IMO. If the invitation was more formal then it would be rude to reply by text but the scenario you have given sounds very casual smile

So, to sum up, YANBU grin

BananaFruitBat Sun 31-May-09 21:09:47

It's standard practise at DS's school. Invites come out with text (mum's name) - 0000 0000000 in the RSVP section. I haven't come across one that hasn't.

ingles2 Sun 31-May-09 21:10:16

YANBU.. replies by text are so much easier to keep track of who's coming.

LenniEd Sun 31-May-09 21:15:15

I text RSVPs too - and prefer them when I'm having a party - esp if don't know the parents, otherwise the phone calls can get embarrassing - "So whose Mum are you again..?" blush

Sycamoretreeisvile Sun 31-May-09 21:15:28

I have texted replies to every single one of DD's pre-school party invites. It's the done thing. I would prefer it too, on the receiving end. Especially as I'd rather not have a lot of conversations, and I'd probably forget to write it down.

tigana Sun 31-May-09 21:19:42

grin grin grin
I love you all!
knew he was being an old fashioned fart!
Well...hoped...

Mspontipine Sun 31-May-09 22:24:32

Well done for actually bothering to rsvp these days

pranma Mon 01-Jun-09 10:54:18

Off the point but want to say that Tigana is my favourite Fantasy read!

namechangerforareason Mon 01-Jun-09 11:09:50

YANBU

The invite clearly said that RSVPing by text was acceptable.

I would have done the same in your position

X

MissSunny Mon 01-Jun-09 11:16:00

Message withdrawn

Bathsheba Mon 01-Jun-09 12:28:14

If you are given a mobile number then RSVP by text is being positively encouraged..

Heck, at least you DID RSVP - how many threads have been done on this and other ofrums over the years about people not RSVP-ing at all...

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 01-Jun-09 12:34:01

texting is fine and tbh prob easier as then the host has got a record of who is coming/not coming and easier to remember rather than people calling to say yes/no and then then host forgetting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now