Talk

Advanced search

Chicken pox - what to do with pre-schooler on school run

(19 Posts)
debs40 Sun 31-May-09 20:17:00

Well ds1 (6) had chicken pox before half term. We moved in half term. Just getting back to normal and ds 2 (3) woke up this morning with it. Inevitable, I know.

Now, my question is, AIBU to try and arrange a plan for dropping off and collecting DS1 rather than usual route through school playground. Friends who've had little ones with chicken pox recently have wheeled them in in prams but should I be spreading it like that? I know it's good for kids to get it over with but it can be risky for some people can't it?

Anyway, don't know if I'm being too fussy. DH can drop off and collect twice next week but works miles away so can't do it every day. DS1 won't go with/be collected by anyone else. School is just around the corner so I was going to ring tomorrow and see if I could drop off through the office or something.

What do you think? Overdramatising or being sensible?

herbietea Sun 31-May-09 20:20:39

Message withdrawn

Niftyblue Sun 31-May-09 20:21:32

No I think if you can make arrangements for your Ds to dropped off and picked up you should
Its a sensible idea smile

When Dd had it my friend picked up and dropped off DS to my car outside school
it was only for a week

bigstripeytiger Sun 31-May-09 20:24:25

I think you are being considerate. Do you know anyone who walks past your house on the way to school? Most mums wouldnt mind helping you out by doing the drop off and pick up while your DS2 is contagious.

Ohforfoxsake Sun 31-May-09 20:36:12

I really wouldn't worry too much. Keep him in the buggy (perhaps pop the raincover over when you get to the playground?)

People with vulnerable immune systems and pregnant women who haven't had chicken pox before could be at risk, but the chances of passing it onto someone in this situation in the school playground is pretty small I'd say. I think doing a school drop off is OK, its not as if you are taking him to visit an elderly aunt in a nursing home IYSWIM.

bluejeans Sun 31-May-09 20:38:42

Good way to get to know some neighbours by asking around, over 30 years ago (ahem!) my D lil sis was too ill to leave the house for a week and my mum arranged for a 'big girl' who lived up the road to walk me to school and I loved it!

Good on you for being considerate

debs40 Sun 31-May-09 20:42:26

Thanks folks. Trouble is my six year old is really funny about other people - he has possible Asperger's - and now he's been off for two weeks (pox and then hols) he's just not likely to go with anyone else.

Sometimes, he doesn't even go in without me.

We changed schools at the end of last year and I do know mums who would help but he wouldn't go with them. Or at least I don't think he would.

I think I'll give the school a ring.

Morloth Sun 31-May-09 20:44:31

Give the school a ring, if that doesn't work out I think the buggy solution is a good idea and is what I would do in your situation.

cookielove Sun 31-May-09 20:45:37

if i remember correctly, if the spots are out he's no longer contagious, i think they children are only contagious 2 weeks before the spots appear

LesbianMummy1 Sun 31-May-09 20:47:50

disagree ohforfoxsake my ds2 has low immunity and I got most upset when at 18mths old I left him outside dd1's classroom in pushchair while I took her in when I came out another parents child who was fully contagious had been put in his pushchair next to him the mother then said to other mothers "come and bring your little one's near my son if they want chicken pox." I was hoping to wait till at least 2 so ds's lungs were stronger. I got so upset I spoke to the head teacher as I felt that parents should not decide whose children should be exposed and also other parents were taking siblings in classrooms and letting them play with toys whilst contagious. My dd's school now ask parents to come through front gate and buzz to reception to colllect child in that situation rather than bring younger siblings through school playground

LesbianMummy1 Sun 31-May-09 20:48:03

disagree ohforfoxsake my ds2 has low immunity and I got most upset when at 18mths old I left him outside dd1's classroom in pushchair while I took her in when I came out another parents child who was fully contagious had been put in his pushchair next to him the mother then said to other mothers "come and bring your little one's near my son if they want chicken pox." I was hoping to wait till at least 2 so ds's lungs were stronger. I got so upset I spoke to the head teacher as I felt that parents should not decide whose children should be exposed and also other parents were taking siblings in classrooms and letting them play with toys whilst contagious. My dd's school now ask parents to come through front gate and buzz to reception to colllect child in that situation rather than bring younger siblings through school playground

LesbianMummy1 Sun 31-May-09 20:48:22

sorry clicked twice!!!

cookielove Sun 31-May-09 20:49:24

ok wait i just googled that and it said, contagious until all the blister have scabbed over and its two days before not two weeks, i clearly know nothing. blush

LesbianMummy1 Sun 31-May-09 20:49:50

contagious till last spot has scabbed over and for 2 weeks prior but once you know I feel you should try and avoid contact

debs40 Sun 31-May-09 21:07:50

LesbianMummy1 that is the sort of thing that I was worried about - I'll definitely ring school!

LesbianMummy1 Sun 31-May-09 21:13:23

they will probably have a solution I know my ds2 needs more care than others his age but you won't know every single parent and child in that school so may not know of a child in similar situation. Thank you for being sensible if only every parent was as thoughtful as you

debs40 Mon 01-Jun-09 09:38:52

Hi

Took ds1 in through office today although I think they thought I was being a little bonkers - 'everyone has to get it, it does them good you know' says the receptionist.

I then rang the GP as DS2's rash is different - blotchy and converging on his face rather than distinct spots - and she was like 'oh bring him in at 11.30'. I asked whether him being contagious was a problem for other people in the waiting room and she said 'yes, that is difficult but maybe if you sit at the top end'.

Maybe I'm overracting. I know these things are out and about and being spread even before people know they're infected and show no signs of it, but it just felt that knowing he was contagious, it was only polite not to force him on to others!

Pinkjenny Mon 01-Jun-09 09:51:40

I am taking dd to the GP with it today also. I couldn't believe that they were happy for me to bring her in!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 01-Jun-09 12:43:59

i think you are being very considerate

i want my younger 2 dc to get the pox - older one has had it

but many parents dont want their child to get it, esp if going on holiday in a week or 2 etc

I have dropped off at drive and got another parent to walk up with them or dropping off at office is a good idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now