Talk

Advanced search

To assume it was my child who was lost and found?

(16 Posts)
belgo Sun 31-May-09 11:52:44

Went to a music festival yesterday in a local park, with my three children, dh and sister in law. SIL took dd1 aged five off to a stall while dh and I waited at a table with the other two children. Just as I was beginning to think 'where is sil and dd1', a tannoy announcement announced that a child of five years with the same name as dd1 had been found and would the mother please come to the main stage. Of course I rushed to the stage thinking it was dd1, only to find it was another child with the same name as dd1(fairly unusual). I felt very bad for the child who had been told her mother was on her way, and rather embarrassed that I appeared to be a mother who did not know if her child was missing or not.

Dh's reaction was 'of course my sister hasn't lost dd1'; he could not understand why I had assumed it was my dd1 who had been found, he had sat calmly at the table while I had rushed to the stage.

It was nearly an hour before dd1 and sil turned up, (they hadn't heard the tannoy announcement).

So AIBU to have assumed that it had been my child who had been found?

millenniumfalcon Sun 31-May-09 11:56:51

yanbu. of course you had to go - how could you not? of course, had you chosen a more unique name like tiamakara this problem would never have arisen in the first place wink

hope it didn't spoil your day

junkcollector Sun 31-May-09 11:58:05

YANBU at all- Better safe than sorry anyway I say.

Do you not have a mobile phone?

belgo Sun 31-May-09 11:58:22

I thought she had a unusual name, but now I know three in our area!

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 31-May-09 11:58:46

Not unreasonable at all.

Of course you would go and check if your child was not with you and you heard a child with the same name was lost/found!

Children get lost very easily at busy events, even with the most vigilant of carers so it would not be a slur on your sil to go and check.

TheProvincialLady Sun 31-May-09 11:58:54

Of course YANBU. It must strike fear into the heart of any mother whose child is not with her when they hear an announcement that someone with the same name has been found.

Is your SIL a bit flaky? Mine is. DS1 could be climbing a mountain barefoot and carrying a can of petrol and she would barely look up from her trying to attract male attention coffee.

junkcollector Sun 31-May-09 11:59:02

Not saying everyone SHOULD have a mobile phone by the way.

belgo Sun 31-May-09 11:59:10

yes I have a mobile phone but sil had left her bag and mobile with me.

belgo Sun 31-May-09 12:00:26

no SIL is not flaky smile, she is very trustworthy, but it was very very busy and I understand how easy it is to lose a child at something like this.

millenniumfalcon Sun 31-May-09 12:01:05

we always take permanent markers to festies to write phone no. on child

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 31-May-09 12:02:24

Do you write it on their foreheads, milleniumfalcon? grin

millenniumfalcon Sun 31-May-09 12:03:31

lol, along with glasses and comedy moustache grin

usually they have wristbands it can go on, but would do it on arm if they could take the wristband off.

BalloonSlayer Sun 31-May-09 12:27:28

I always write the phone number on the DCs arms too.

When I got the idea, seeing someone else had done it, I thought her children had been studying concentration camps at school or something. Before I twigged, that is...

belgo Sun 31-May-09 12:46:10

ok. I'll do that next time.

I assume that the mother of the little girl who was lost turned up fairly quickly. It must be awful to be a lost child.

FabulousBakerGirl Sun 31-May-09 12:48:22

YADNBU

makipuppy Sun 31-May-09 13:11:34

Never thought of writing number on child! Brilliant. I spent much of my childhood in a dream and have been announced over more tannoy systems than bears thinking about.

<goes off to think of a name for unborn child that will be clearly distinguishable over the airwaves>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now