Talk

Advanced search

To be amazed by this question....?!

(43 Posts)
tessofthedurbervilles Sat 30-May-09 22:03:25

Juat back from a bbq...am due to drop any day....this guy turns up with his gf and she sits down and starts chatting about my pg (never met her or him before) I nearly fell off my chair when (after questions about due dates, names and general pg stuff) she says 'so was it planned then?'
I was totally lost for words....is it me or is that really not dinner table talk?!

pjmama Sat 30-May-09 22:05:28

That's right up there with people asking whether my twins were "natural" or not. None of their bloody business and downright rude!!

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 30-May-09 22:06:23

Message withdrawn

mrsmaidamess Sat 30-May-09 22:06:42

It's one of those pregnancy questions people just ask though, isn't it? Especially rude people.

traceybath Sat 30-May-09 22:06:49

Well not terribly polite but i'm pregnant with dc3 and a few people have indirectly asked this. Fair enough though as i'd always been emphatic i was only having 2 dc's and ds2 was only 10 months when i realised i was pregnant.

So not terribly polite but ime people tend to lose all sense of social niceties when chatting to pregnant women hence all the 'wow, aren't you massive comments' etc.

traceybath Sat 30-May-09 22:07:43

Oh, and was it planned? smile

cthea Sat 30-May-09 22:07:46

Well, it seems you'd exhausted all sensible baby related talk by the time that cropped up. Perhaps you should have steered the discussed away from your pg by then. Rude of her but maybe she thought she was continuing to make polite conversation.

TheProvincialLady Sat 30-May-09 22:08:02

YABU to be amazed. It is the standard fall back of someone who doesn't know what to say.

YANBU to find it rude.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 30-May-09 22:09:34

Message withdrawn

MrsWeasley Sat 30-May-09 22:16:10

you should have said "no not planned, what contraception do you use?" and then smiled knowingly and told her to be careful grin

DorisIsAPinkDragon Sat 30-May-09 22:16:24

Also due to drop anyday now with DC3 (with fairly close age gaps) and the number of times i have been asked this is shock

so op YANBU!!!!!

TrillianAstra Sat 30-May-09 22:16:49

LOL at Reality

I can't talk to pregnant women any more. Every sentence I concoct I think 'can't say that, it'll be on AIBU later'

notsoteenagemum Sat 30-May-09 22:17:55

Are you quite young?
People always ask me if dd was planned (I was 19 when she was born), I always say "Of course I always planned to have children"wink

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 22:18:41

Message withdrawn

mummyflood Sat 30-May-09 22:23:30

Got this question quite a bit for some reason with DS2, even from my Mum!! There is 2yrs between them, exactly how we wanted it. Didn't really think much of it at the time,looking back I now think 'how rude' but the one that really got me was when DS1 was at nursery, and I was chatting outside with him & DS2 one day. This woman (who I didn't know from Adam) came up to me, said 'ohh, they are so different aren't they, have they not got the same Dad then?'

fruitstick Sat 30-May-09 22:25:49

My neighbour (who I barely knew) asked me after DS2 was born whether I had any stitches shock

She didn't even ask his name!

Curiousmama Sat 30-May-09 22:26:54

Worst one I got was after losing a baby between ds1 and ds2 a woman at toddler group said 'what a shame you won't have the age gap you wanted' shock As if that's all I cared about! She was odd though so I let it go.

cthea Sat 30-May-09 22:32:50

That was so crass, Curiousmama

Geocentric Sat 30-May-09 22:33:30

My sil asked a woman once how far along she was and heard in reply 'oh, I'm not pregnant, luv, its just worms'
shock

poorbuthappy Sat 30-May-09 22:41:03

People kept asking me if I was feeding the twins - I said of course, if I didn't feed them then they wouldn't grow up big and strong...I would always walk away before they could try and explain they meant BF...and quietly laugh to myself...oh yes and the "natural" twins question...pees me off

Lancelottie Sat 30-May-09 22:42:32

Can I join the foot-in-mouth brigade?
Went back to work after mat leave for my first baby and asked what the latest news was in the office. Turns out my close colleague is having a baby too.

'Oh, fantastic,' I say, 'Whose?'

[trust me, no amount of saying 'Sorry, when, I meant, when?' will get you out of that one. Not when you know said colleague was having an affair with someone else in the office when you last worked there. And she didn't know you knew, but now she does, doesn't she...?]

Geocentric Sat 30-May-09 22:43:28

poorbuthappy, I gor the BF question too, from a total stranger in a life 'nice baby, do you BF'. Erm, excuse ME??!!

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 30-May-09 22:43:59

Message withdrawn

busybeingmum Sat 30-May-09 22:45:47

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 22:49:09

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now