Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up with endless MN bitchery about women's weight!

(38 Posts)
Janos Sat 30-May-09 21:45:35

It really doesn't show us women in a good light and brings down the 'tone' of the site (says she snobbily).

Seriously though, why? It's annoying, small minded, bitchy, petty and spiteful. And aren't we all better than that?

<waits for someone to say no>

Stretch Sat 30-May-09 21:49:52

I agree, although I come from the other end. I was always called skinny/lanky, and had people asking what kind of eating disorder I had when younger. sad Thankfully, I'm not skinny anymore!

I think women are nastier about other women, than men are about women. sad

cthea Sat 30-May-09 21:51:12

I haven't noticed. Is it about other MNers or in general about celebs for e.g.?

KingCanuteIAm Sat 30-May-09 21:51:16

On MN Janos?

I hadn't noticed it, is this a follow on?

Stretch Sat 30-May-09 21:51:35

Meant to add, it's not just MN though. I have people in my family who like to take the piss out of other, more chunky, women. sad

TsarChasm Sat 30-May-09 21:53:13

I was going to say the same as KingCanute. I think mn is usually quite positive about this. Did something kick off or is this a general observation?

OrmIrian Sat 30-May-09 21:55:34

Not sure where you mean. Re celebs I suppose it's there but not as badly as elsewhere. But re individual women, I don't see it.

scottishmummy Sat 30-May-09 21:56:07

hadn't noticed over the crescendo of nurseries are evil posts

dont think MN has a tone

simpson Sat 30-May-09 21:56:55

haven't noticed any bitching tbh

fill me in....

2shoes Sat 30-May-09 21:59:47

what threads are you reading?

scottishmummy Sat 30-May-09 22:00:35

yes want to know who has been chuckin their weight about

Janos Sat 30-May-09 22:01:40

No, nothing kicked off! Just sticking in my two pennorth.

I've just read the rationing thread and seen a thread in the news section about this...and there was (I think) one about Mica Paris the other day and I guess they've struck a nerve.

So perhaps all over MN is a little bit of an exaggeration but there's certainly a few threads about of this nature.

Anyway.

I really don't like it. I find it infuriating that there is so much focus on women's appearance, and that other women (not everyone here I know)just cannot wait to jump in and criticise anyone who does not have a so-called perfect figure.

Stretch - yes, that's what I mean.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 22:02:41

Message withdrawn

Janos Sat 30-May-09 22:03:34

Hang on will look for some links!

Janos Sat 30-May-09 22:07:39

this one

Ok this one about rationing has obviously been started by a loon, and is more about weight I suppose.

Ooh and this one about Mica Paris

KingCanuteIAm Sat 30-May-09 22:11:41

Janos, I think you may be being over sensitive (but I accept I could be wrong). In general I find MN to be very supportive of different sizes and shapes.

I must admit I did see the rationing title but I just thought "Huh, not touching that one with a long pointy stick"!

I suppose the world at large has a certain amount of prejudice and so a certain amount of it will spill over here.

2shoes Sat 30-May-09 22:13:04

oh dear I haven't opened any of those threads. it is easy

scottishmummy Sat 30-May-09 22:13:19

but the joy of MN is we could all be munters and no one would know

hullygully Sat 30-May-09 22:14:22

yes, but fat people are just plain greedy. All this nonsense about endocrinal glands and metabolism - just put the chocolate down. That's what it's really about, criticising those with no self-discipline. And that's a valid point, surely?

Janos Sat 30-May-09 22:15:47

Oh, this is true ScottishMummy.

It's ENTIRELY my own fault for clicking on links when I know they will provoke/annoy grin

scottishmummy Sat 30-May-09 22:15:59

kerching!thatshould get a few angry glands secreting

cthea Sat 30-May-09 22:18:14

"criticising those with no self-discipline. And that's a valid point, surely?" Yes, it is. Then you have people who smoke, or drink, or do drugs, or run into debt, or spend too much time on MN etc. It's OK to criticise but it doesn't really get you far. Tsk. Tsk.

hullygully Sat 30-May-09 22:19:26

Yes, but no one minds those as much as the fatties, do they?

TrillianAstra Sat 30-May-09 22:19:29

Um, none of those threads look that bad to me.

The one about the student with the beauty contest was being sarcastic about the Daily Mail thinking that it was news that someone would win a contest while weighing 10 stone.

And the rationing one was, as you said, started by a loon.

The 'size 12' one I didn't read. But even if it was truly horrible (which I doubt) one thread does not equal 'endless bitchery'.

ThingOne Sat 30-May-09 22:24:58

It's not been overwhelming to me. Every post I've seen that criticises the way a well-known woman looks has been jumped on. But I don't read sleb threads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now