Talk

Advanced search

To remove the toy baby feeding bottle from my dd's new doll bath and feeding set?

(1002 Posts)
Springfleurs Sat 30-May-09 15:23:58

I was brought up to think that breast feeding was a strange and rather disgusting thing to do.

Luckily managed to overcome this myself and b/f both dc for 5 months and 14 months respectively.

Took dd to a toy shop today and she chose a doll bath and feeding set. Unpacked it for her when we got in and there is a feeding bottle in there. I know it might seem a bit precious but it irritated me slightly, as though it was a mandatory piece of equipment for all babies/dolls.

Or

I am taking it all rather too seriously?

Overmydeadbody Sat 30-May-09 15:26:14

You are taking it tooooooo seriously lady!

Most bfed babies still have a bottle when they're older don't they? For water if nothing else? It's just for role play.

Get her a mini feeding bra and some breast pads so she can pretend to bf as well, if you're that ocncerned about it.

Don't want to say that YABU, but both mine were bf for a really long time, and despite never really seeing a babies bottle, both love giving their dolls a drink from one.

I would let her play with it, but it's your call really.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 30-May-09 15:28:17

But how will the doll get it's milk?

Your child is not lactating wink

NeedaNewName Sat 30-May-09 15:29:17

You're taking it way too seriously. Its a doll FFS.

How old is your DD, I'm assuming you have plently of time to discuss BF with her beofre she has her own children!

moaningminnie2020 Sat 30-May-09 15:29:54

YANBU at all, I threw out a pretend baby bottle this week from a dolly set. My DD likes to stick her dolls/ animals up her top to feed them and I think thats fab.

She'll still see bottles elsewhere I'm sure,no problem with that, but my house my rules LOL

MANATEEequineOHARA Sat 30-May-09 15:31:38

I think YANBU at ALL. I hate the way bottle feeding is normalised, that SHOULD be challenged.

In terms of 'just role play' and babies having bottles when they are older (mine didn't btw), it is still unneccesery, and putting a bottle with a doll is suggesting that this is something babies need, when in fact all that is needed is in our own bodies, and the fact that this is undermined by our capitalist society, SHOULD be fought!

bubblagirl Sat 30-May-09 15:31:44

i've never known a child to breast feed a doll its pretend such as pretend tea and pretend food your pretending to feed the baby

your in put as she gets older will help her choice of feeding she is far too young to understand and all children love to feed babies

also breast fed babies have a bottle for water etc so you can say on your giving dolly water

sorry but i think yabu let children be children and let them make choices with your encouragement when they get older

OracleInaCoracle Sat 30-May-09 15:34:07

im a bit torn on this. i dont actually think there is anything wrong with dolls bottles. many mothers ff for a huge range of reasons, but i think it has become too accepted as the norm. when i was pg with ds my sil was horrified that i intended to bf and hadnt even bought bottles or a steriliser. to her they were essential babycare items, like a cot or a pram.

thats fine for her, and her dd "feeds" her doll with a bottle. however, despite ff ds in the end, i still feel that bottles were the "back up". at nieces party there was a nursing mother with her 6wo ds, when ds asked what she was doing i simply said "baby is having lunch. thats how babies eat". i think the way that your dc percieve bf/ff is down to how you teach them and talk to them about it. not what they buy in shops. however, if you feel like that YANBU to remove the bottle.

phew, sorry!

MANATEEequineOHARA Sat 30-May-09 15:34:12

Bubblagirl but childhood play impacts upon decisions made as adults, especially in that it normalises repeated practices.

Maybe you could get rid of the bottle with 'milk' in and get one with 'juice' in instead.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 30-May-09 15:35:02

as an aside, there are some lovely bf-ing dolls out there!

MissSunny Sat 30-May-09 15:35:06

Message withdrawn

LaurieFairyCake Sat 30-May-09 15:35:55

Formula feeding is also normal hmm

The dolly pack is not going to come with a fake boob. She will have to provide her own boob so that she can diversify her feeding practices and provide a whole range of feeding experiences for her plastic doll grin

HuffwardlyRudge Sat 30-May-09 15:36:38

What if she wants to express so she can have the odd night out?

(My dd was once heard admonishing her Mermaid Barbie doll thingie for not having breast pads inside her shell bikini top).

MANATEEequineOHARA Sat 30-May-09 15:37:09

Neither of my dc's had bottles for water or anything! That is another of those myths that is sustained when bottle feeding becomes so integrated in daily life.

Oooooh you would have to take remove the spoon, you would only want dd to practice BLW.grinwink

Springfleurs Sat 30-May-09 15:39:46

Miss Sunny Don't think that babies feeding bowls and spoons are the same thing as a formula feeding bottle at all, in that all babies will be weaned at some point so they are a necessary equipment. I do not feel that bottles are a necessary piece of equipment, they are a last resort!

No, neither of my dc's has ever had a bottle for anything either, but I wouldn't stop them playing with them. I let ds wear clip on earings when he is being a pirate, but I wouldn't let him have them pierced.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 15:41:41

Message withdrawn

Zarniwoop Sat 30-May-09 15:42:11

Some people express bm and then feed with a bottle or cup. Are you seriously suggesting that you have a problem with your daughter having that knowledge?

If the toy set had come with a cup, would you still take it away in the belief that it might damage your daughter's future opinions, which you seem intent in foisting upon her?

Springfleurs Sat 30-May-09 15:42:16

Manatee, my ds had bottles of water because I didn't know any better. My dd never drunk from a bottle in her life. She moved from b/f to drinking from a cup.

"when i was pg with ds my sil was horrified that i intended to bf and hadnt even bought bottles or a steriliser. to her they were essential babycare items, like a cot or a pram." Lissielou, exactly the same here. My family and ex H family were completely astounded by my decision to b/f. They were all clearly very uncomfortable with it. I had to leave the room every time I wanted to feed.

StealthPolarBear Sat 30-May-09 15:43:13

agree with lissie
Also, DS never had a bottle for water - why would he? He was not brilliant with cups/bowls spoons etc but managed fine with a tommee tippee thing from 6 mo.

Springfleurs Sat 30-May-09 15:46:01

I don't have a problem with her having the knowledge with regard to using bottles but I would rather it came later as part of a balanced education about methods of feeding rather than as the first idea that she ever has about feeding a baby.

Niecie Sat 30-May-09 15:47:56

I'm sorry I don't believe that at all.

I was FF, I had a doll that you could bottle feed and it would wee out the other end (your doll won't do that if you pretend bfwink).

However, it never crossed my mind that I wouldn't bf myself. I didn't think about the games I played as a child when I was making decisions on how to feed a real life child. Did you seriously consider childish games when making decisions about your baby?

Sorry, but I think YABU, OP. Babies don't need a baby bath, they are handy, but you don't actually need one nor half the other stuff I bet was in with the bottle. Why single out the bottle.

This thread is not accepting new messages.