Talk

Advanced search

Not to want DD1's friend to gollop down two litres of freshly squeezed orange juice during an afternoon's play date?

(110 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Wed 27-May-09 18:15:45

Why can't she drink squash like the others? Or water?

flashharriet Wed 27-May-09 18:17:08

Lovely you for offering it - it's water all the way here <evil cackle>

wonderingwondering Wed 27-May-09 18:17:48

Why did you let her? I can't see that's very good for her. How old is the child?

nametaken Wed 27-May-09 18:18:29

YABU and inhospitable and the opposite of generous, whatever that is.

silverfrog Wed 27-May-09 18:18:32

how old is she?

I'd be inclined to say have water/squash (depending on food issues wink)

or just water her juice down (out of sight, naturally) and then she will think your juice so horrible that she will have the squash grin

SoupDragon Wed 27-May-09 18:20:20

Why on earth should she drink squash??

If you don't want them to drink something, don't have it available.

Tanith Wed 27-May-09 18:20:21

I would NOT like to be around when it's worked it's way through her system. I hope you warned her Mum!

GrapefruitMoon Wed 27-May-09 18:20:24

Hide it the next time!

We had a teenager visiting recently (from "abroad") who loved OJ - he was keeping a mental list of the best brands he encountered. Unfortunately he liked the one we buy the best (we try to make the carton last a week...)

I had to bite my tongue when he helped himself to some from my mother's fridge - it was a carton I had just bought and had put in the fridge till I was going back to my own house!

lockets Wed 27-May-09 18:21:29

Message withdrawn

nametaken Wed 27-May-09 18:22:02

How on earth can you hide fruit juice? It needs to be refridgerated, therefore, it's gonna be in the fridge.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 27-May-09 18:22:40

She's 11. So Nametaken, do you think I'm mean? I let her have it, but that means we have no juice left for the family for the next week or so, until I can get to the shops. If I'm mean, don't you think she's greedy? Apart from the fact that all that acid can't be very good for her. And her Mum just sat there and let her drink it! Had one of mine been greedy enough to keep asking for juice, I'd have suggested, sternly, in Joyce Grenfell voice, that water would have been better for them.

ilove Wed 27-May-09 18:23:18

erm...just say no?

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 27-May-09 18:24:28

She helped herself from the fridge. Just went to it and said "I want juice" and poured herself an enormous glass and then several more.

No reason why she should drink squash, but that's what we had, plus ribena, and grenadine syrup. I'd have thought that was enough choice!

nametaken Wed 27-May-09 18:25:30

Well, not mean exactly, but sometimes it nice to go without something yourself in order for someone else to have it.

Having said that, she does sound greedy. Surprised her mum didn't stop her. Were they all thirsty, or just her.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 27-May-09 18:25:30

I didn't like to say no - no objection to one glass, but two litres???

sparkle12mar08 Wed 27-May-09 18:26:04

Two litres? That's four pints, are you sure? Either way, but the height of rudeness to help herself without asking unless that was agreed at the start.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 27-May-09 18:26:29

I'm not Ste Therese!

KingRolo Wed 27-May-09 18:26:43

YABU.

She's a child. You are an adult. You can say No if you want, it's your house.

SoupDragon Wed 27-May-09 18:26:46

You let her drink it so why would her mother stop her in your house? [confused]

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 27-May-09 18:27:13

Yes, absolutely sure - two full bottles gone.

KingCanuteIAm Wed 27-May-09 18:27:34

Sorry but the first time I woul have taken the glass out of her hand and told her she had poured far too much and poured most of it out to share amoungst the other dc. Then, if she had said it again I would have said, no, we only have juice once as it gives you a poorly tummy, how about some water/squash.

She is 11, she should not be telling you what she is doing!

squeaver Wed 27-May-09 18:27:44

I wonder if she's diabetic?

nametaken Wed 27-May-09 18:27:50

Was it Tropicana, that's really expensive. Actually, I'd probably be posting the exact same thread as you come to think of it grin

SoupDragon Wed 27-May-09 18:28:04

When DSs have friends round, they like to help themselves to cartons of Innocent smoothies. I let them have 1 each and then I say no.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 27-May-09 18:28:12

Soupdragon - manners? If your child was offered eg biscuits at someone else's house, would you let them eat the entire packet or plateful?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now