Talk

Advanced search

to disagree with the persil definition of 'what is a mum'?

(65 Posts)
stainesmassif Wed 08-Apr-09 22:14:23

'someone who saves to buy a pretty hat and then spends the money on a cricket bat instead'........am definitely not buying persil now!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 08-Apr-09 22:15:25

I have never brought Persil. Does this not make me a mum?

KingCanuteIAm Wed 08-Apr-09 22:16:32

'someone who uses Persil' how is it possible to define a Mum as someone who uses their own brand, what about the Ladies with children who use Fairy, what are they if not Mums?

Irritating advert, which is a shame as they have now ruined the "Awww MUuuUM" advert that always made me smile!

stainesmassif Wed 08-Apr-09 22:18:36

fluffy - presumably not!!

for some reason the words 'pretty hat' particularly grate with me

AnnieLobePassoverSeder Wed 08-Apr-09 22:19:39

Well this mum doesn't buy anything off companies who test on animals, which includes all the detergent manufacturers (hooray for soapnuts!), so I don't buy Persil anyway. But this annoying advert adds another reason! grin

BTW - have any of you ever saved to buy a pretty hat? Should I, if I am to stand any chance of being a proper mum?

IneedAbetterNickname Wed 08-Apr-09 22:19:42

Thats means I'm not a Mum either, must have imagined them 2 babies I pushed out my chuff then hmm

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Wed 08-Apr-09 22:21:00

Well, ds is a bit too big to put back. Maybe Social services?

I'd rather have the hat by the way.

Shambolic Wed 08-Apr-09 22:22:02

Pretty hat?

WTF?

How many women wear hats on a regular basis? It's not 1906. How odd.

paolosgirl Wed 08-Apr-09 22:24:10

Have never bought a pretty hat or a cricket bat - but then again DD has informed me this week that I am the worst mother in the world, and did I know that? Persil is reinforcing what she has known all along - I am simply not the mum I should be.

DiamondHead Wed 08-Apr-09 22:24:13

It's fairly unimaginative rhyming - 'Hat' and 'bat'.

Could they not think of anything better. Who here has ever saved for a hat, especially a 'pretty' one. Euurggh.

Perhaps the Mum decides she doesn't want the poxy hat, so buys a cricket bat for herself, leaves the washing and goes and plays for England ladies in Barbadoes.

stainesmassif Wed 08-Apr-09 22:24:26

it hadn't occured to me that maybe she's buying the cricket bat for herself.........that's not quite so bad.

ShowOfHands Wed 08-Apr-09 22:25:11

I wear hats all the time, but they're from charity shops mostly. No saving.

I'm so confused. Is dd mine? Did I imagine it?

muffle Wed 08-Apr-09 22:26:31

Now you see I did think that on reading the OP <dim>. "She wanted a hat" I mused... "But she bought a bat - why? and what does it have to do with being a mum?"

Oh well, I use Fairy anyway.

Lilyloo Wed 08-Apr-09 22:28:31

ooh yes i can only feel 100% mum if i am wearing a hat hmm
FGS what is that all about , a hat ????????

paolosgirl Wed 08-Apr-09 22:28:42

I like your thinking, Diamond! Perhaps that's it - perhaps she thinks "sod the lot of you, do your own bloody washing, I'm off to follow my dream and play cricket for England in Barbados as I should have done years ago, before I met and married your father and became the drudge you now see before you".

Yes, now that would make me buy Persil!

KingCanuteIAm Wed 08-Apr-09 22:33:07

I have changed my mind! If Pesil is right and I am not actually a Mum then that must mean that I don't actually have to stay in at night with the dc and I have plenty of spare money so I could book myself a nice sunny, lazy cruise... See, great advert wink

stainesmassif Wed 08-Apr-09 22:42:14

Classic mumsnet, I was starting to think I'd posted my first safe YANBU, and it's a YABU after only 19 minutes!

TheHedgeWitch Wed 08-Apr-09 22:45:16

Message withdrawn

Lilyloo Wed 08-Apr-09 22:55:01

But a hat Hedge ???????????? wink

pointydog Wed 08-Apr-09 22:55:35

I would be upset if I did fit the persil definition of a mum

stainesmassif Wed 08-Apr-09 22:57:14

I don't think I'm being too literal. Obviously we all make sacrifices for our children. It is the tone of the advert that I object to. I understand that it's dated, and that it's making a selling point out of the longevity of the brand, but i object to a woman's highest aspiration being a 'pretty hat' regardless of the era.

stainesmassif Wed 08-Apr-09 22:57:32

And now you've made me all serious!

HecAteTheEasterBunny Thu 09-Apr-09 16:30:37

I think they were tying it in with their ad campaigns over the years!

screamingabdab Thu 09-Apr-09 16:34:58

I remember writing a poem for Mothers Day when I was about 10:

"A mother who loves you
A mother who cares
A mother who cleans
And dusts the chairs

A pretty mother
Yes it's true
I tell you mother
I love you"

AIBU to try and sell it to Persil for their next advert?

BouncingTurtle Thu 09-Apr-09 17:51:48

Screamingabdab - it is far superior to the hat/bat thing. They need to look for new copywriters! I bet it was someone's kid who dreamed it up!

Obviously I too am not a mum as not only do I buy soapnuts, I sell 'em too! Perhaps this means that I am really this guy shock

wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now