Talk

Advanced search

To suggest this to sil?????

(25 Posts)
thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 27-Feb-09 10:24:16

We were supposed to be going to stay with sil for our holiday in the summer, she lives in Guernsey.
She gave us £200 towards the flights for xmas, we have been saving up the rest, I have finally saved up enough and went to book the flights and they have gone up by £100, we quite simply can not afford to go.
My oparents have a flat in Dorset which we always go to and love, we have booked 2 weeks there instead, my dad suggested asking sil to come over and join us for a week, I would send her the money back to pay for her ferry, which goes from guernsey to very close to where we will be staying.
Would it be unreasonable of me to suggest this to her, I really dont want to offend her but with things as they are at the moment we cant afford to go over to guernsey.
I am going to phone her tonight so opinions would be gratefully recived.

wotulookinat Fri 27-Feb-09 10:31:38

I think as long as you offer her the money back then you go ahead and suggest it.

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 27-Feb-09 10:33:04

Why don't you take the ferry?

thisisyesterday Fri 27-Feb-09 10:33:17

i don't htink thwat's unreasonable at all.
just explain exactly what's happeend and why you can't go and say that obv you'll send the £200 back and you would love it if she could use it to come and stay with you

edam Fri 27-Feb-09 10:33:22

didn't you post a thread on this right back at the beginning?

I'd explain the flights have gone up by £100 and you can't afford it, huge shame and all that and how about Dorset?

Sheeta Fri 27-Feb-09 10:33:35

Sounds OK to me... as long as the money goes back to you. Of course, you're down a xmas present then wink

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 27-Feb-09 10:35:02

I looked at us taking the ferry, but it would cost more than the flights, there being 4 of us and car, she could just come on foot. I did post a thread on this ageas ago, and we had deciedd to save up, has taken a while. blush

katz Fri 27-Feb-09 10:35:02

thesockmonster - Sounds sensible, as an aside do you know that Auringy have introduced a new route to Guernsey (east midlands) and are currently doing very cheap flights (£35/pp) from their to Guernsey.

Simplysally Fri 27-Feb-09 10:36:09

If I was your SIL I'd ask why you couldn't take the ferry - but having said that, it's not unreasonable to offer the money back.

Try and see .

Unless she has got things in mind to do in Guernsey which can't be done in Dorset?

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 27-Feb-09 10:36:49

Aha much more sensible idea. Quite agree with you on prices of taking children on holiday to see family.

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 27-Feb-09 10:37:48

thanks katz, just checked it out, it is the tax that they put on after the flight cost that is the problem, comes out about the same.

katz Fri 27-Feb-09 10:40:31

aurgingy's flights include tax so those would be £70/pp return for 4 people thats £280, also no extra charges for bags and you get a free drink on board.

katz Fri 27-Feb-09 10:42:03

its flybe that add tax on after.

We have flown to Guernsey hundreds of times! and have found aurigny to be both the best and general come out a smidge cheaper.

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 27-Feb-09 10:42:17

Ooooo, will have another look, have got their website open on another tab. smile

helsbels4 Fri 27-Feb-09 10:42:19

Is sil short of money or quite comfortable? If she is easily able to afford it then I think I would lay it on thick and say that you've been saving like mad but now the prices have gone up and there's no way you can afford the extra but you were so looking forward to seeing her, so could she please, pretty please, pretty pretty please meet you in Dorset instead? I't worth a try!

katz Fri 27-Feb-09 10:44:25

thesockmonster - have you been before?

electra Fri 27-Feb-09 10:44:41

I think your suggestion would be fine - she must understand your situation to have wanted to help you out in the first place.

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 27-Feb-09 10:45:08

yah, that is fantastic. shall book this evening when dh gets home as he has the credit card. woo hoo.
Thank you so much Katz.

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 27-Feb-09 10:46:13

No we have never been before, havent been on a plane for years, is it lovely sil assures me it is.

katz Fri 27-Feb-09 10:47:08

is Eastmidlands airport a goer for you then? glad to be off assistance, just wish they announced this before Christmas as we paid £40 more to fly this Easter from Bristol.

katz Fri 27-Feb-09 10:48:54

thesockmonster - Guernsey is lovely, its very tranquil and we've had some fab summer hols their playing on the beach. Have done most of the German invasion stuff too, very interesting esp. as you could get an idea of what Britain may have been like if Hitler had made it this far. Where abouts will you be staying?

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 27-Feb-09 11:09:53

just spoken to my mum who will give us a lift to east midlands and back so pretty much sorted.
I think it is in St Peter port that we will be staying, sil has a cottage cant wait to asee where she lives tbh, she only moved there last year.
Just going to check the dates with her and then book it. I am really excited now.

katz Fri 27-Feb-09 11:15:15

you'll have a lovely time, glad its all fitting into place for you. We stay in St Peter Port when we go, my sister lives there, and its great. The bus service on the island has greatly improved and one of things our girls love is that one of the buses goes right round the edge and its about £1.50 as its classed as a single trip. Hiring bikes is good fun too as the roads are quiet and have very low speed limits.

electra Fri 27-Feb-09 11:36:27

I'm glad it worked out smile

edam Fri 27-Feb-09 17:20:01

hurrah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now