Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

More on dogs. My friend visited this week and brought her terrier without asking.

(19 Posts)
queenceleste Thu 26-Feb-09 00:22:27

I've got a young baby, I think you should ask before turning up and bringing your dog. I was so surprised. She said "Well I want him to learn to behave when I go out so I brought him" I mean, he's okish but he jumps up loads and I wouldn't put the baby in her seat because I find these small dogs to be so unpredictable. A friend's daughter was bitten on the face by an excitable westie who was 'only jealous!" typical dogfanatic anthropmorphic apologia for appallingly out of control dog.

I just wish people wouldn't impose their dogs on me! How rude not to ask.
angry

Alambil Thu 26-Feb-09 00:26:10

so why did you let her in?

queenceleste Thu 26-Feb-09 00:39:01

She's a mate! What can I say? I'd invited her to lunch. If I didn't let her in that would be basically telling her to f off. I like her a lot. I'd like her bloody dog to f off though!

Many dog owners are utterly irrational, they think their pooches are as adorable to everyone as they are to them. You can't reason with these people.

JodieO Thu 26-Feb-09 00:43:30

I would have told her to put the dog in the garden/outside etc but wouldn't let it in my house without her asking beforehand. If she's such a good mate she'll understand.

thumbwitch Thu 26-Feb-09 01:30:11

I wouldn't have let the dog into the house - I have a friend who has a Staffy - lovely, but v. excitable, and she wasn't allowed in the house until DS was 1yo. And even now she has to be kept on the leash the entire time she is here (usually only about 15mins, my friend is very local so she pops in for a short while every now and then)

I went for a meal to a friend's house, a group of us were there and DS was only 3mo; the one friend who had brought her terrier was asked by the hostess to keep him outside until my DS was asleep in the eve. (Hostess has 3 small DC herself and understands).

Do tell her next time that her dog must go outside though, if she brings it again, but that you would prefer she doesn't.

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 02:35:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

queenceleste Thu 26-Feb-09 09:02:59

she did put him out but he kept barking to come in etc, so was in and out, I can't let him in any other rooms because he just chews toys and wrecks things. She threatened him with being put in the car but I assume doesn't want him peeing/pooing in there. I haven't seen whether he crapped in my garden...... !

I think she feels "love me, love my dog', It's just so selfish I think. But she clearly feels it's mean to leave him at home for more than a couple of hours.

queenceleste Thu 26-Feb-09 09:05:31

thumbwitch, if it were a staffs I would certainly say I wouldn't have it in the house. My family have westies though and I'm more familiar with them. I think the one that bit my friend's daughter was known to be a bit nutty and very possessive of its 'parents' i.e. owners (barf)

iggypiggy Thu 26-Feb-09 09:15:21

I have a labrador (that I love) but I never take him over to other people's house unless he is specifically invited by them (ie. they ask - I don't!), which actually happens quite often.

Don't really get why people are inconsiderate like this... is not actually about the dog - is more about people not thinking about others before doing things..

Madmentalbint Thu 26-Feb-09 09:25:22

I'm the same iggypiggy. I wouldn't dream of turning up with my dog unless he'd been invited. And I've never ever asked to take him anywhere.

LucyEllensmummy Thu 26-Feb-09 09:55:13

I would never dream of taking my dog to somwone elses house, baby or not

LucyEllensmummy Thu 26-Feb-09 09:56:09

mind you, i would rather some of my friends not bring their CHILDREN either!

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 26-Feb-09 10:00:21

I would not have let the dog in. She will think it's ok to bring him again now.

wannaBe Thu 26-Feb-09 10:16:43

"She threatened him with being put in the car" pmsl does she think he listened then? grin

I'm assuming this friend doesn't have children and that this is her substitute baby from what you've written.

I have a guide dog and obviously if I visit people on my own then the dog comes with me. But he is kept on a lead and made to lie down quietly - I wouldn't dream of letting my dog off in someone else's house. Also I do have friends who have dogs of their own who have asked if they could pick me up instead as their dogs might not like another dog coming into their house, and of course I respect that.

kitbit Thu 26-Feb-09 10:19:38

<gets on high horse>

This sort of attitude from dog owners really annoys me.

<gets off again>

Lotster Thu 26-Feb-09 11:19:36

I would always ask before taking my dog along anywhere, rude and presumptuous not to, especially if they are badly trained. To be fair, it doesn't happen so much now I have children and have stopped treating my dog like one grin

LucyEllensmummy - totally get your comment about some kids too, especially when I was at home with a newborn, feeling v.fragile and just expecting a friend/relative to visit on their own, only to be overwhelmed by toddler/small kids running rampage. One of my pet hates and I would again try not to take mine along...

newpup Thu 26-Feb-09 11:20:51

As a dog owner I would NEVER take my dog to anybody elses house. She only ever goes to my parents and brother who have dogs and invite her and my pil who do not have a dog but love her and always invite her. I would never ever turn up at someones house with her.

You should really ask her not to bring him again.

newpup Thu 26-Feb-09 11:22:29

lol lucyellensmummy and lotster. I sometimes wish friends/relatives would leave there DC at home too grin

newpup Thu 26-Feb-09 11:23:34

aggggghh 'leave THEIR dc not there dc'

blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now