Talk

Advanced search

to think school should name DS as winner?

(40 Posts)
minxthemanx Wed 25-Feb-09 21:18:50

DS1 age 7 has won a competition, which means he plus 40 odd children from his school have a day in London, tour round Houses of Parliament, meet a Lord etc - all expenses paid. Letter came home tonight with details of the visit - it said "someone" had won this competition, no name! Neither has he been mentioned on weekly newsletter well done section - I would think it's as much an achievement as the 5metre swimming badges etc! Don't feel I can say anything as will look like right pushy parent, but am disappointed for him. Wouldn't the parents want to know who had won? There wouldn't be a lovely trip if he hadn't! The Head did mention it in KS1 assembly, but it seems a bit mean to refer to him as "someone" in the letter. AIBU? Do you think there's a reason?

fryalot Wed 25-Feb-09 21:21:13

I can't imagine why they wouldn't have named him unless there is some data protection issue with naming him on an official letter hmm

Seems a bit off to me that he isn't named and celebrated properly.

Well done him btw! You must be very proud (if a bit pissed off with the school)

minxthemanx Wed 25-Feb-09 21:23:42

Yes, I did wonder if there was some data protection reason they didn't put his name, but can't see why it's ok to name everyone for their tap/ballet/football etc achievements. Doesn't help that I'm on the staff, so even more reason that I can't say anything. sad

etchasketch Wed 25-Feb-09 21:24:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

myfunnynametaken Wed 25-Feb-09 21:25:30

Well, I can see why you want some recognition but I think it all depends HOW your son won the competition.

For example, was it a "lottery" type competition where the answer was obvious and most people would answer it correctly and then the winner was picked at random. Or did it require some hard work and effort.

If it's the first, I don't mean to downgrade what he's done, but I can (almost) see why they didn't think it necessary to name him.

If it's the second however, then I think YANBU and his effort should be recognised. I wouldn't say anything though.

wolfear Wed 25-Feb-09 21:25:54

I'd be annoyed. Kids loved being recognised for their achievements - so they should.

minxthemanx Wed 25-Feb-09 21:29:13

It was a local council competition called "It I ran the council..." DS wrote a long list of things he would put right. He put loads of thought into it.

pointydog Wed 25-Feb-09 21:29:20

I would just ask whoever writes up the newsletter why your ds's name wasn't mentioned. Why not? Perfectly reasonable question. I'd feel proud too.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 25-Feb-09 21:29:26

I think it seems a bit rude and ungrateful of the school not to acknowledge him.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 25-Feb-09 21:29:53

Oh, and well done to your clever DS!

edam Wed 25-Feb-09 21:30:47

Seems very unfair.

myfunnynametaken Wed 25-Feb-09 21:30:53

If he put a lot of work into it then yeah, I do think they should have mentioned him. Miserable gits. (the school, not you and your son)

Lilyloo Wed 25-Feb-09 21:31:49

I would also ask school why they havent mentioned him.
If they send home letters with pupils names in then no reason not to include ds

minxthemanx Wed 25-Feb-09 21:32:55

Maybe I could do something like scribble a note on the trip permission slip, asking whether it could be mentioned in the newsletter. Still seems bloody pushy, but it's pretty good kudos for the school and he did really well.

fryalot Wed 25-Feb-09 21:34:01

I would deffo ask them if there is a reason why they haven't named him.

It sounds like the kind of extra-curricular thing that schools generally make a big fuss of and he should be rewarded for his hard work with loads of praise from everyone!

A boy at our local school won some kind of competition and was mentioned in the newsletter and all the mums were congratulating him as he came out of school the next day, it was lovely to see his proud little face. You son deserves the same.

cheesesarnie Wed 25-Feb-09 21:34:17

its the taking part that countsgrin well done your ds!

id make huge fuss of him at home but wouldnt bother with school-its done now.

pointydog Wed 25-Feb-09 21:34:58

I wouldn't write a note. I'd phone or speak to someone nicely and quietly. Just say ds would love to see his name mentioned.

pointydog Wed 25-Feb-09 21:35:23

it si not just the taking part that counts!

myfunnynametaken Wed 25-Feb-09 21:36:04

I wouldn't ask them to include it. Then he would only be mentioned in the newsletter because his mother asked him to be. Not because the school thought his achievements worth of being mentioned. Things are always meaningless if you have to force people to do them sad.

On the other hand, they did mention his name in assembly, so he's had a bit of acknowledgment.

Hope they all enjoy the trip.

paolosgirl Wed 25-Feb-09 21:38:28

Both DC's schools name children who win things (sadly none of my miscreants ever have grin), and rightly so. It should be shouted from the rooftops IMO - and I would definitely have a quiet word with them about it. I'm sure that the school is quick enough to notify you of it's achievements or those of the teachers.

pointydog Wed 25-Feb-09 21:42:41

goodness, I mgiht actually be cross if I thought the school didn't see his achievements as being worthy. I am assuming it was some silly oversight.

fryalot Thu 26-Feb-09 13:02:02

what happened, minx?

Celia2 Fri 27-Feb-09 08:36:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuppyMonkey Fri 27-Feb-09 08:41:53

Well put things right by contacting your local newspaper about him - they would probably be delighted to print his thoughts on how to run the local council!!! Seriously, they really really would!

LucyEllensmummy Fri 27-Feb-09 09:31:10

I think that is really sad - your little lad not only won the school a fantastic prize, he will have raised the schools profile and set a great example to the other children. I think you should say something, but i wouldnt make it a big deal for your DS otherwise he might get upset, just make sure he knows how proud you are of him!! Well done minx's DS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now