Talk

Advanced search

to not go to ds's Book Week 'parade' tomorrow?

(9 Posts)
IrritableGrizzly Tue 24-Feb-09 14:54:30

He hasn't shown the slightest interest in getting a costume together, and tbh I haven't had the time, inclination or money to go out and buy something or make a fabulous creation at home, so he will be wearing a stripey T shirt and shorts and going as Harold from Captain Underpants hmm. Is it really mean of me not to bother getting myself and ds2 (9m) down there for 9am just to watch ds1 trotting round the school field in casual gear, and then stand and make small talk with the mums until it's polite to scarper? In my defence, I always turn up to the important school events, and have been known to bake the odd cookie, but really can't be bothered for this one.

IrritableGrizzly Tue 24-Feb-09 14:56:33

Oh by the way, we live in Singapore, which is why I can send him off in shorts and T shirt in the middle of February!

mumto2andnomore Tue 24-Feb-09 16:15:47

I would go, think how he will feel when most of the other mummies are there and his isnt

screamingabdab Tue 24-Feb-09 20:03:43

How old is DS?

If he's say, 8, and is not particularly bothered about dressing up, then I think you'd be OK not to go.
If you think he'd be upset,or he's younger, best to go.

BTW 'parade' sounds a bit over the top. Isn't it enough they get to dress up and see each other? what do parents who have to work do?. I'm all for giving children positive reinforcement but I think sometimes all this encourages competitive mummying (Bah, humbug)

Divineintervention Tue 24-Feb-09 20:05:42

I'm making lots of assumptions about your expat lifestyle.... please tell me I'm wrong and you do take care of your children and are joking about one of the only things required of you as a parent!! grin

IrritableGrizzly Wed 25-Feb-09 04:30:24

Oh no, I'm really not a stereotypical expat mum, honest! I don't even have a maid, which apparently makes me a bit of a freak grin

Anyway, this probably isn't going to be read but I decided not to go and ds1 wasn't worried at all (he's 6 btw). I will however make lots of effort to go to the next parade/show/lunch/whatever! Thanks for replies.

mumeeee Wed 25-Feb-09 12:18:31

If he is not bothered about you going then thats fine. But at 6 he would need help to get his costume together and although he says he doesn#t mind he might really want you there. When my DD's were 6 they would be very upset if I didb't managee to get to something they were doing at school,

Divineintervention Thu 26-Feb-09 07:51:17

IG, get yourself a maid..... it helps to employ someone! (That's how my mother justifies her full time maid and driver!!)

IrritableGrizzly Thu 26-Feb-09 13:30:53

Gawd, no - have tried it once and hated it! Couldn't even walk into the kitchen to make a cup of tea without her taking over; I've never felt so useless or pointless in my whole life. I'd rather have unironed clothes and less 'me time' but also privacy and a bit of dignity!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now