Talk

Advanced search

Daily Mail Bashing

(163 Posts)
TheDrunkard2009 Thu 12-Feb-09 14:23:27

I am a Guardian reader and hate the Daily

Mail, but FFS must have every fucking thread

I read bash someone's comment they don't

like and accuse them of being a DM reader.

It's getting fucking boring now, think up

something more original please, you're

obviously a bright bunch of women.

Thankyou

Wizzska Thu 12-Feb-09 14:29:33

Specially as the Observer and Grauniad are slagging off women now too.

I agree with you, there is a lot of name calling and labelling going on on some threads. At least the troll accusations have died down a bit. That was getting on my tattie when every poster seemed to be being accused of trollery.

georgiemum Thu 12-Feb-09 14:32:39

I think it has just become part of the language now (like 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells').

georgiemum Thu 12-Feb-09 14:32:40

I think it has just become part of the language now (like 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells').

dashboardconfessionals Thu 12-Feb-09 14:39:01

Message withdrawn

PussyNoMore Thu 12-Feb-09 16:34:43

Yanbu, it's like they want a pat on the back for not being a DM reader.
Well done <pats on head> hmm

Frasersmum123 Thu 12-Feb-09 16:35:33

I like to read The Sun grin

PussyNoMore Thu 12-Feb-09 16:37:05

Well done! <squeeze of the hooters>

OrmIrian Thu 12-Feb-09 16:37:46

I don't want a pat on the head. I just don't like it. Sorry. And it's got nothing to do with whether or not it bashes women - it's to do with it's narrow minded moralistic view of life. And the fact that it pretends to be a proper paper. At least the Sun has the guts to be honest about itself.

I apologise for being boring but hey ho, at least I don't read the DM wink

WithHilariousConsequences Thu 12-Feb-09 16:43:29

I know two people whom read the DM.

One is a lovely, witty, intelligent, fair-minded, kind and generous woman.

The other is my MIL.

Which more or less balances it out.

dittany Thu 12-Feb-09 16:46:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 12-Feb-09 16:50:50

I have noticed that very often when MN is getting in an uproar about a story in the Mail, there is the exact same story in the Telegraph.
Sometimes there are stories in the Mail which make me laugh and gasp with horror at the same time (the one where they accused Eastern European immigrants of eating swans was an all-time classic, or that extraordinary 'Nigella has fat knees!' bitch fest), but equally they will sometimes pick up on an important story before anyone else does, often with things related to women.
All the papers have their bad points IMO. I've never noticed the Guardian being women-hating, but it can be hugely hypocritical. And unscientific, which goes down badly in my family.

TsarChasm Thu 12-Feb-09 16:50:53

Yanbu it's a lazy default on here for 'I don't agree with you and I know best'hmm. Also it's newspaper snobbery.

Also considering how it's so awful, funny how many people who 'don't' read it link to the DM on here.

Funny that.

PuzzleRocks Thu 12-Feb-09 16:57:42

Totally agree with Orm's post. Although I would quite like a pat on the head. wink

I read the Times, which comes in for a bit of stick too. Don't really know or care what that says about me.

MrsSchmaltzyMerryHenry Thu 12-Feb-09 17:01:06

Dittany! People don't bash the DM because it's lower middle class. They bash it because it makes itself ohhhhsoooobashable!

I've heard some awful things about the DM editor...from a reliable source. Turns his whole 'family values' rhetoric on it's head and slaps it firmly on the arse.

ClaraDeLaNoche Thu 12-Feb-09 17:03:28

Yes it's an easy dig isn't it. I don't know why people assume you are what you read.

lalalonglegs Thu 12-Feb-09 17:10:48

Could we have some examples of the Guardian being women-hating? I've just never noticed it and I read it daily.

OrmIrian Thu 12-Feb-09 17:11:10

I don't think anyone assumes you are what you read. I don't care who reads it. The thread is about DM bashing, not DM-readers bashing. If you like it read it. I don't.

hifi Thu 12-Feb-09 17:12:27

the news is exactly the same in all the papers, just articles are different. dont see why people have to flame the dm, i enjoy the fashion and femail.

KayHarker Thu 12-Feb-09 17:15:31

Can I call people 'bloody grauniad bleeding hearts' then? grin

Calling someone a DM reader is a broad brush insult, designed to convey the idea that the recipient is a narrow-minded, prudish, reactionary, nimby. 'DM reader' takes up less typing space.

The DM is an annoying tome, but no more annoying than any of the other newspapers.

I do feel the need to apologize if I link to it, because it usually means people will be sucked in to a vortex of vacuous and judgemental sleb gossip for the rest of their morning.

MrsSchmaltzyMerryHenry Thu 12-Feb-09 17:16:08

Guardian

Lots more on that page. I wouldn't mind if the articles were well-considered, at least you could say that put some effort in.

KayHarker Thu 12-Feb-09 17:18:24

MrsMH, that is the mother of all examples, isn't it? Vile article.

FlorenceAndtheWashingMachine Thu 12-Feb-09 17:21:43

I judge people by what they read. If I see a man dressed in jeans and a t-shirt carrying 'The Sun' I will rate him as less intelligent than if he is carrying 'The Times'. We all make instant judgements like that a thousand times a day. It may not be admirable but I think that it is the way we tick.

MrsSchmaltzyMerryHenry Thu 12-Feb-09 17:22:42

Quite, KayHarker, <<hiyaaaa! waves>> quite. Such a letdown from a paper I've read for years.

MrsSchmaltzyMerryHenry Thu 12-Feb-09 17:23:23

Florence, I admire your candour. However I don't judge people that way so I'm clearly a better person than you. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now