Talk

Advanced search

to stop doing unpaid overtime because work would not pay for the one day people were unable to get in because of the snow?

(4 Posts)
Carbonel Mon 09-Feb-09 21:48:00

I feel very stongly about this - I regularly work (unpaid) overtime / evenings / weekends (as do others - the director told us the office had done 800 hours overtime in Dec shock) but am seriously pissed off that they will not pay people who genuinely were unable to get into work because of the weather

I am even thinking of 'falling over' walking in tomorrow if the snow is bad and taking the week off with a sprained ankle / knee

This is a very large firm by the way not a small business where I would obviously have more sympathy for the economics

Haribosmummy Mon 09-Feb-09 21:50:53

Nope, I'd work to rule.

But make it clear WHY you are doing it. Make it clear that if THEY won't compromise on certain things, YOU won't compromise on unpaid overtime!

morningpaper Mon 09-Feb-09 21:52:03

Most companies won't be paying for this day. It will be:

- annual leave
- time in lieu
- unpaid leave

that is quite normal

MsHighwater Mon 09-Feb-09 21:54:35

I've had 2 instances of being unable to get to work because of weather and, in both cases, employer granted leave to everyone affected.

Tbh, I just would not dream of working unpaid overtime especially if working for a large employer. Why do you do it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now