Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to buy my dd secondhand shoes?

(35 Posts)
gingerbreadlovegirl Sun 08-Feb-09 13:05:43

she's 18months and i've seen some really nice decent clarks shoes on ebay.
can't afford those in the shops

these are the one's, look like they have hardly been worn.

here

Breizhette Sun 08-Feb-09 13:07:52

I buy a lot of my DCs clothes on ebay but not shoes. I don't know if I am right or now but it doesn't feel right to me. I might be wrong!

RubyRioja Sun 08-Feb-09 13:07:53

It is tricky - I think fit is important are you sure you can fit her properly?

Heated Sun 08-Feb-09 13:08:27

They look in very good nick and unworn so why not?

Heated Sun 08-Feb-09 13:09:04

Have you had her measured at that size?

gingerbreadlovegirl Sun 08-Feb-09 13:09:10

Yes that is her size, she was measured about 11 days ago, or should I go to a cheaper shoe shop?.

paolosgirl Sun 08-Feb-09 13:09:42

I did with DC3 - had just bought him a new pair, and only had them for 3 days before he kicked one off and never saw it again. I couldn't afford another new pair, so bought him a pair off eBay. They were fab, hardly worn at all, and he certainly hasn't suffered in any way!

Penthesileia Sun 08-Feb-09 13:09:51

Hmmm. Not sure: they do say that you really ought to buy new shoes because shoes mould themselves to fit the feet of the wearer, so in theory, these shoes will have been worn by another child with a different foot-shape to your daughter, and wearing them could potentially damage or hurt your daughter's feet.

However, I'm not sure how far that is entirely true, and how far it is a marketing-ploy by shoes manufacturers to sell overpriced shoes to worried parents.

I hope someone with experience of this can advise.

Penthesileia Sun 08-Feb-09 13:10:54

x-posts! hmm grin

gingerbreadlovegirl Sun 08-Feb-09 13:13:22

Supoose lot of parents are caught in this dilema, clarks/start right 2nd hand or new cheap shoes?

be really interesting to hear some foot shoe experts opioions on what is the best out of these two options.

laweaselmys Sun 08-Feb-09 13:14:54

I think if they've hardly been worn they can't have 'molded' themselves too much (although I would agree with properly worn shoes!)

I'm sure I read on MN that somebody did this for their DC, because lots of clarks first walkers get bought before the DC that are supposed to be wearing them can walk and therefore never or barely ever get worn.

As long as you're sure they're the right size I think it's fine.

justaboutindisguise Sun 08-Feb-09 13:16:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nelix2000 Sun 08-Feb-09 13:17:33

The shoe does mould to the shape of the foot, but how long will a toddler wear them?my ds has had new pairs from clarks at £30 a go every 6 weeks since he could walk. He wears them when we are out so no more than 2 hours a day IF that, so no chance of them moulding. After this pair thats it tho, I am fed up buying him shoes that the market says are the best. He is barefoot in my house and that is best, and I would rather spend money on a good diet for him. I never wore fitted shoes, nor did my parents or grandparents whose feet are fine lol. So yes ebay away!!!

I ebay ALL his clothes and then resell them so really he has been clothed for free too!...

justaboutindisguise Sun 08-Feb-09 13:18:22

memoo Sun 08-Feb-09 13:20:11

I buy lots of clothes for DC from ebay but never shoes. Even if they are the right size being worn by somebody else means the shape will have altered to their foot.

far better to buy cheaper new ones

gingerbreadlovegirl Sun 08-Feb-09 13:24:53

yes thats a good point justaboutindisguise she only wears shoes when we go out.
mainly she bear foot or in socks.
don't they say this shoe/slipper free time is the best thing for feet?.

mil is constanlty telling me to get her slippers.

nelix, I do that too, I by 90% of her toys and clothes on ebay then sell when outgrown then use the money to buy more.

justaboutindisguise Sun 08-Feb-09 13:26:38

gingerbreadlovegirl Sun 08-Feb-09 13:27:27

where do you buy your wellies from? i've been meaning to get some.

lljkk Sun 08-Feb-09 13:38:51

Woolworths used to sell them, lol.
Mothercare? Most shoe stores sell child-size wellies, Startrite, even. B+Q. Shoezone, too.

2nd hand Small kid size shoes sell very well on Ebay -- obviously a lot of people reuse shoes, seemingly without ill affects. I've done a mix, some 2nd hand, some new for DC.

I can't use any type of wellies for DS3 (1yo) because his feet don't fit in them well; wellies are too stiff, his feet are still quite soft, he has high arches (as do I) so I'd have to force his foot in -- I'm not even chancing it. But wellies did work well for other dc when a bit older.

sorrento Sun 08-Feb-09 13:40:33

I've passed down trainers, lelli kelly's etc whilst they are little, it's a big con to make more money out of parents, for god sake the shoes you see on teenagers when their feet are still growing yet we spend £40 on a pair of babies shoes.
Buy them 2nd whilst you still can when they get older you can't get away with it because they notice grin

justaboutindisguise Sun 08-Feb-09 13:47:30

gingerbreadlovegirl Sun 08-Feb-09 13:49:57

you lot talk such sense
thanks

ChippingIn Sun 08-Feb-09 13:54:16

I think it's fine. They don't look like they have been worn much. Shoes do mould to the shape of a foot - but not at this age for the little they wear them

Missing Woolies too...

oldraver Sun 08-Feb-09 17:07:02

Ive never paid full price for Clarks (who arnt the best IMO but they con you they are).I usually get them from an outlet or the last pair in the sale for £12. I always intend NOT to buy Clarks but see them discounted and go for them

I know a few Mums as well who buy in advance they for whatever reason sell them on, but will always say worn once, as technically there not brand new

magicfarawaytree Sun 08-Feb-09 17:19:25

If you have good feet yourself it may not be such a risk. Podiatrist told me never to used 2nd hand shoes for dcs. The shoes mould to users foot, this could have a knock on effect on the next childrs feet. Children should have properly fitted shoes whilst their feet are growing as they can be easily damaged. Even for children two pairs of shoes in different styles in the same size may not fit. It is a dilema which you think of the rip off prices charged for shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now