Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that the council don't grit our road and in turn won't collect our rubbish as it's too icy!!!!!!!

(15 Posts)
Lilyloo Wed 21-Jan-09 14:35:12

Basically we have a two weekly collection which is a nightmare with a family of 5.

The council refuse to grit our road for whatever reason.

We get bad weather up here and when it snows we have to park car on main road and walk to our houses. It snowed Monday still can't get car back to house.

Today put rubbish out and van drives right by our street but doesn't collect it.

So am now stuck with overflowing bin for who knows how long and can't even take it to tip as can't get car anywhere near here to pick it up!

angry this service costs us £150 per month!

Mooseheart Wed 21-Jan-09 14:39:54

Lilyl YANBU at all. I would be incredibly pissed off. It's a health hazard apart from anything else. Have you phoned the council?

envy At your snow though - if that's any consolation.

Lilyloo Wed 21-Jan-09 14:47:03

she basically said we aren't the only ones who they can't get to but can't say when collection will be shock

When i asked if they would collect any extra bags (they have policy of not collecting bin if lid won't shut) she said if they collect Friday they will only take one extra bag angry

TBH i did love snow before we moved here but it is a nightmare. Trudging 3 dc's up and down the hill 4 times a day and dragging the pushchair in it is no fun. I fell over on Monday and have a whopping bruise on my side trying to pull the pushchair.

No surprise we were voted one of the worst , most expensive councils in the country.

PlainOldPeachy Wed 21-Jan-09 14:51:34

Oh ours are as bad, YANBU

They'll collect from the house two doors down, but if the chap next door has parked outside his place they can't get past, so rather than carry the boxes 20 yards for the last couple of homes they just reverse and go elsewhere. We're at the end of a narrowing terrace.

80% of the time we don't get a collection, then Dh calls and they send a van out from depot- about 6 miles- wasting even more money on fuel and staff time!

Once I could understand, twice even, but- ?

PlainOldPeachy Wed 21-Jan-09 14:52:18

Oh ours are as bad, YANBU

They'll collect from the house two doors down, but if the chap next door has parked outside his place they can't get past, so rather than carry the boxes 20 yards for the last couple of homes they just reverse and go elsewhere. We're at the end of a narrowing terrace.

80% of the time we don't get a collection, then Dh calls and they send a van out from depot- about 6 miles- wasting even more money on fuel and staff time!

Once I could understand, twice even, but- ?

duchesse Wed 21-Jan-09 15:03:22

The council took our salt and grit bins away without any notice at some time in the last few months. Nobody noticed as it happened some time in the summer. Fast forward a few months to December, with water freezing in sheets on the hill and suddenly the school bus can no longer reach the next village along; the children of that village have to stay at home for several days. That makes me cross- it's not as though people around would sit and wait for someone else to do the gritting, but who has a personal access to that amount of salt?

LazyLinePainterJane Wed 21-Jan-09 15:36:07

Unless you are more pregnant than you think you are. The hormones drop off after a while don't they, in terms of tests?

LazyLinePainterJane Wed 21-Jan-09 15:36:28

hahahah doh! wrong thread

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 21-Jan-09 15:44:09

That's not the only service you pay council tax for though is it?

And would you prefer this or 'aibu the stupid council sent a truck up our icy road and crashed into my house'

I do agree they can be totally silly though, why couldn't they arrange for you to drop it at the end of the road/ My mum has had her bin not collected before because the lid wasn't closed properly.

LadyOfWaffle Wed 21-Jan-09 15:47:45

Is it a private road?

Lizzylou Wed 21-Jan-09 15:55:29

Our road is icy, Lily and the rubbish was collected, I was shocked tbh, it's normally any excuse.
I think that you are in Rossendale too?

weblette Wed 21-Jan-09 17:10:59

It would be a very good one to go to your local paper with. Might get something done about it.

Lilyloo Wed 21-Jan-09 20:23:27

No it's not a private road

Yeah Lizzy same old same old i guess with this council!

Weblette our local paper is full of the failures of this council so another letter liely to make no difference!

Agree devil it shouldn't come down when it's icy but at least let us take it to them it literally ten steps.

Lizzylou Wed 21-Jan-09 21:18:35

Before we bought this house, we were warned about Rossendale council, but DH looked it up and said that they were improving. ER no, they are not!
I am in a new estate in a valley at bottom of a steep hill, the road off the main one onto our estate is full of potholes, last week there signs up saying work was going to be started in the area. We thought it may be the road. Nah! It's the already flat and perfectly flat pavement that they are digging up and relaying! WTF! There are bloody councillors living in lovely barn conversions near us who write into the Free Press regularly bemoaning the state of the road. Still nothing!

inlawoutlaw Thu 22-Jan-09 01:04:24

From rossendale too , have never experienced anything quite like this council.
Entire estate not gritted lateley despite warnings of severe weather and im also affected by what apears to be pointless digging accompanied by traffic lights making it almost impossible to get onto the main road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now