Talk

Advanced search

...to want someone to say 'well done' to me for driving...

(38 Posts)
Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 19-Jan-09 17:14:35

...from York to Leicester? On my own? Considering I had never driven on a motorway before yesterday and was miles out of my comfort zone?

I keep mentioning in passing to people at work that I DROVE down today instead of getting the train but no-one seems very impressed grin

ANamesANameForAThatsTaken Mon 19-Jan-09 17:15:28

Well done - who'se a clever girl then?

Wonderstuff Mon 19-Jan-09 17:15:53

I'm impressed. Well done you smile

BodyBagBastard Mon 19-Jan-09 17:16:27

would a man expect a well done?....thought not.

ANamesANameForAThatsTaken Mon 19-Jan-09 17:17:15

the man in my house would expect a well done for unloading the dishwasher.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 19-Jan-09 17:20:02

Thank you Wonderstuff.
(not ANamesAName because I suspect she is being sarcastic).

Would a man expect well done... no probably not. When my dh had just passed his test he needed to drive from Cambridge to Durham and one of his friends said 'You must be able to do it because I can and I'm a girl'

However since men seem to get immoderate amounts of praise for being able to change nappies, I think I should get some for a major driving milestone.

chancelloroftheexCHEQUERS Mon 19-Jan-09 17:22:04

That's great, well done.

The company I work for praise you for using public transport though, cos of the whole green thing.

Maybe your colleagues are silently impressed but can't say so for fear of recriminations and accusations of being Jeremy Clarkson-esque.

BodyBagBastard Mon 19-Jan-09 17:22:18

wellI wouldn't say well done to a man for changing a nappy either.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 19-Jan-09 17:23:12

Thank you Chequers.
Actually in my workplace they are probably thinking 'oh great, one more person to compete with for the very limited number of spaces in the staff carpark'.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 19-Jan-09 17:23:33

Glad to hear it Bodybag.

ANamesANameForAThatsTaken Mon 19-Jan-09 17:25:31

sarcastic? me? nooooooooooooo

grin

plj Mon 19-Jan-09 17:27:42

Genuinly well done. I am sitting driving lessons at the moment and can't even imagine driving to the local supermarket! (If i ever pass my test!)

madlentileater Mon 19-Jan-09 17:28:25

Well done for moving out of your comfort zone!
consider though, train would be much kinder to the planet and you could work on the train rather than getting stressedwink

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 19-Jan-09 17:32:16

Well, I've been doing train for years - trouble is that there is a bus at one end which are becoming ever less frequent, and the trains are often so crowded there isn't a seat so you can't work. I do love the train when it is good and I take your point about environment, but the costs in terms of time are just becoming so great.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 19-Jan-09 17:33:09

I think thats brilliant and a really big thing to achieve. Well done!!!!

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 19-Jan-09 17:34:09

Thank you BadBadKitten! smile

goingonfortynoelectricshocks Mon 19-Jan-09 17:35:38

The distance is one thing but.........tackling the Leicester Ring road definitely deserves a pat on the back <shudders>.

MsG Mon 19-Jan-09 17:35:54

Well done - I think that's ace! I hate driving and haven't for years but am thinking I ought to really get back into it as baby number 1 is due end of May and although we don't have plans to buy a car at the moment, I think we will borrow one occasionally from our parents. I have only driven on a motorway once from Preston to Lancaster and that terrified me. It's a fear I really want to overcome.

goingonfortynoelectricshocks Mon 19-Jan-09 17:36:26

There are Skeletons driving round that ring road i tell ye.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 19-Jan-09 17:40:59

LOLOL!
DH went on and on about the ring road when he was going through the route with me but actually because I had loads of driving lessons in Leicester during one of my abortive attempts to learn, it was fine.
Was lovely to come off the motorway and see the big Boden warehouse grin

psychomum5 Mon 19-Jan-09 17:41:44

well done you

RachePache Mon 19-Jan-09 17:41:49

I think it's impressive. I've only been a driver (properly) for 6 years and I still remember that feeling that comes after doing such a big journey out of your comfort zone.

MarlaSinger Mon 19-Jan-09 17:42:40

Well done - that's brilliant, motorways are bloody scary at first - I passed my test in August and only went on one recently and only a short distance. It's completely different to town driving.

SpongeBrainedHalfWit Mon 19-Jan-09 17:43:01

Well done Kathy smile

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 19-Jan-09 17:43:22

smile
Yes you feel like 'If I can drive to Leicester I can drive ANYWHERE!'
(which would be nice, as many places are preferable).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now