Talk

Advanced search

To think TV's are not evil.....

(92 Posts)
VinegarTits Wed 14-Jan-09 11:39:39

Why are some people so against dc watching a bit of TV?

Is it the work of the devil or summit?

Pinkjenny Wed 14-Jan-09 11:41:07

Well my relaxed attitude to it is clearly not the norm. Dd never watches it for very long, she's far too busy, but it's usually on in the background. Doesn't concern me. I mean if she was glued to the thing for hours, then maybe.

Picante Wed 14-Jan-09 11:41:11

TV has been my lifesaver over the past few weeks. I've been suffering from morning sickness and ds has watched HOURS every day. It's an absolute godsend.

cheesesarnie Wed 14-Jan-09 11:41:19

i think too much is bad.but a little can be educational and/or relaxing for a child.obviously it shouldnt be relied on as being the only educational/relaxing thing in a dc life.

sarah293 Wed 14-Jan-09 11:41:50

Message withdrawn

VinegarTits Wed 14-Jan-09 11:42:02

PinkJenny i am the same, ds can take it or leave it, its on in the back ground but he would rather be doing his jigsaw puzzles

laweaselmys Wed 14-Jan-09 11:42:12

I know not why. A lot - yes fine. A little is not going to kill them/make them hyperactive.

nickytwotimes Wed 14-Jan-09 11:42:15

It's a snobbery thing.
Nowt wrong with it, especially in winter.

CrackopentheBaileys Wed 14-Jan-09 11:43:01

omg I am so with you sister!

I think it's a bit of an old fashioned view, and today's programmes can be incredibly educational.

There seems to be a whole 'no tv's' 'no computers' 'no toys with flashing lights and sounds' movement that I simply can't understand.

Pinkjenny Wed 14-Jan-09 11:43:24

VinegarTits - however despite the fact she generally only glances at it occasionally, she gets very upset if I try to change channels! grin

beanieb Wed 14-Jan-09 11:43:37

I don't think disliking TV for young kids makes you a snob.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 14-Jan-09 11:43:42

TV's make great babysitters when you need to cook something and don't want an inquistiive 18 month old trying to crawl inside the hot oven.

Like pinkjenny my tv is nearly always on in the background but the dd's rarely watch it. ITNG normally catches dd2's attention and she will stop what she is doing to watch it.

nancy75 Wed 14-Jan-09 11:43:54

agree with riven, have always let dd watch tv if she wants, skes not that bothered by most of it, however if i said she couldnt watch it she would be desperate to have it on all the time!

CrackopentheBaileys Wed 14-Jan-09 11:43:57

nickytwotimes hit the nail on the head

compo Wed 14-Jan-09 11:44:04

if your child has been running around the park all morning and then watches an hour's tV after lunch then fair enough
if your child watches TV all morning INSTEAD of running aorund the park and then for an hour after lunch then that is obviously not good

nickytwotimes Wed 14-Jan-09 11:44:23

whom remembers this though?

ThePregnantHedgeWitch Wed 14-Jan-09 11:44:24

Message withdrawn

Picante Wed 14-Jan-09 11:44:24

Just yesterday DS learned the words 'boobytrap' and 'laser beams' from Backyardigans!

VinegarTits Wed 14-Jan-09 11:44:26

Exactly my thought Riven, we meet a couple in our local pub who had bought along their 2 yo, he was mesmerised by the TV, my ds was sitting playing with his puzzle and the father asked me if we have TV, i sadi yes and ds watches it, he told me they dont allow T but they couldnt get their ds to look away from the pub TV, he had obviously never seen one before!

onager Wed 14-Jan-09 11:44:36

Like with most things some TV is good for you. I never understood the 'TV is evil' thing.

MrsBadger Wed 14-Jan-09 11:44:47

this is from the tv-at-nursery thread, yes?

I am not against dd watching tv
it is not evil
we watch a little sometimes
but we keep a lid on it as the more she watches the more she wants to watch, to the exclusion of other things

so I like to be in charge of it, rather than nursery
besides, I am not paying nursery tumpty-hundred pounds a month for dd to watch tv...

Ebb Wed 14-Jan-09 11:45:45

Evil Edna was a tv and she was evil. She used to turn poor Arthur into alsorts......... grin

compo Wed 14-Jan-09 11:46:41

I don't get the having the TV all day as background. What's the point of it being on if it's not being watched?

Ebb Wed 14-Jan-09 11:46:45

Dammit Nicky! I was too slow!!!

ThePregnantHedgeWitch Wed 14-Jan-09 11:46:53

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now