Talk

Advanced search

To spend £42 on kids trainers?

(23 Posts)
Pignata Mon 05-Jan-09 23:04:36

DS has wanted a pair of Vans trainers for months. I have finally found some in his size but they are £42. However, he has a birthday coming up and there is nothing else he needs or wants.

He's 10 so I know it seems a bit much to spend on his trainers but he plays no sports or anything so his trainers last until he grows out of them and stay looking new for ages.

Is it still too much to spend on kids trainers or should I buy him them for his birthday?

nancy75 Mon 05-Jan-09 23:06:14

if you can aford them, and he will like them, then buy them

prettybutterfly Mon 05-Jan-09 23:06:30

I was going to say OI! YOU! YANBU! But... oh ok. If it's his birthday. I s'pose.

UnfortunatelyMe Mon 05-Jan-09 23:06:39

littlewoods has then in the sale if thats any help, id buy then for his B day

prettybutterfly Mon 05-Jan-09 23:07:16

Tsk. was going to say yabu not yanbu. Grr. Hate bloody no edit facility.

kormaisforlifenotjustchristmas Mon 05-Jan-09 23:07:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nemoandthefishes Mon 05-Jan-09 23:08:59

I think YANBU at 10 he should get a years wear out of them and if you can afford it its fine

blinks Mon 05-Jan-09 23:09:18

aren't you busy being threatened pignata?

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 05-Jan-09 23:09:24

<bought ds1 a pair of brand new addidas in a charity shop for £4>

Pignata Mon 05-Jan-09 23:11:13

blinks what do you mean by that?

load Mon 05-Jan-09 23:13:44

blinks ... You are Out of order!

MillyR Mon 05-Jan-09 23:14:46

My son has had a few pairs of Vans in the past (luckily they were in a sale; we bought a few pairs in different sizes all in 1 go). They last for ages and there is definitely £42 worth of wear in them.

YANBU

bellavita Mon 05-Jan-09 23:15:23

I think what blinks is trying to say is how can Pignata be so "normal" on this thread but have another thread going at the same which is not so nice.

PrammieMammy Mon 05-Jan-09 23:18:03

hey, you should have a look in tkmaxx if you have one near you! They had kiddies vans in last time i was in. I only looked at the toddler sizes but they might have had bigger ones too. But YANBU anyway.

odearyme Mon 05-Jan-09 23:18:19

I know exactly how Pignata can be "normal" When going through similar situations a couple of years ago, I often felt I couldn't post more mundane things in case it made the other stuff unbelievable.

Sometimes dealing with the other stuff distracts from terrible things

blinks Mon 05-Jan-09 23:18:34

exactly, bellavita... alot of people are very concerned by you over there.

Pignata Mon 05-Jan-09 23:20:38

I have just re-posted on the other thread. I originally came on the PC tonight to order the trainers and then had second thoughts. I had a quick look on mumsnet as I often do and realised people were asking about me on a past thread. I then got side-tracked from the trainers and started posting on here instead.

I apreciate the concern, really I do. Maybe I shouldn't have posted about this tonight.

blinks Mon 05-Jan-09 23:20:48

by = for

Mamazon Mon 05-Jan-09 23:22:14

because it is very easy to compartmentalise domestic abuse. you get so used to it that it seems normal to you.

she can be deeply worried by what has happened but at the same time has "real" worries.

i really don't think it at all fair to imply trollery!

blinks Mon 05-Jan-09 23:28:01

wasn't really implying trollery- just found it worrying and odd.

it adds to the impression that this is entrenched abuse that pignata has learned to kind of accept.

please don't accept this and bury your head in the sand.

oldraver Tue 06-Jan-09 00:23:14

There is a Vans discount shop at Bicester Village so assume they are at other designer outlet places. They are very well discounted

They will last for ages as seem virtually indestructable. I wore them everyday for work (as a machinist constantly flexing the foot) and I could never damage them where other makes would give up the ghost in a few months

Alambil Tue 06-Jan-09 00:31:25

Get them for him; it's his birthday, he'll get a lot of wear out of them and will love them

Hope you're ok

Tinker Tue 06-Jan-09 00:31:28

Always lots of Vans in TK Maxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now