Talk

Advanced search

to wish people spent more thought than money on presents

(18 Posts)
nct73 Thu 01-Jan-09 20:43:51

Been at gathering of parents (& all the kids) to celebrate the New Year as none of us get to go out NYE any more. Anyway it turned into a major bitchfest over presents received - mainly for the kids. Loads of stuff of inappropriate age either to old or too young. Big plastic or electric stuff was particularly unwelcome in our small cluttered homes - esp as know it was expensive. All miffed at those who asked & then esp the ones who promised certain stuff who then got something else innappropriate. Books & DVDs that they already own & have been read/watched by the giver with them. DD got 2 new copies of an ITNG book which has been her fav for over a year so has been read to her by all visitors but she is now growing out of plus double copies of 2 more ITNG baby board books which she is now bit old for and no PJs, dressing gowns or slippers which had been promised by DP's family & now cant find any in her size in sales.

tattycoram Thu 01-Jan-09 20:52:04

But they probably did put thought into those presents. The fact that your dcs already have those things means that the people who gave them did get it right, they had probably forgotten they already had them. I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose just to annoy you.

wheresthehamster Thu 01-Jan-09 20:53:56

You ungrateful lot grin

Just exchange money next year...

janeite Thu 01-Jan-09 20:54:40

You sound really ungrateful tbh.

PavlovtheRedNosedReindeer Thu 01-Jan-09 20:58:55

OH GOD stop moaning! shock. Your DC got presents, some were more appropriate than others, thats just how it goes sometimes, be grateful for having gifts lavished.

If your DC need pjs, you should not wait for them as a present, get them yourself!

JimsGirl Thu 01-Jan-09 20:59:53

crikey, how rude and ungrateful are you!! shock

faeriemoo Thu 01-Jan-09 21:00:09

Can you ask for receipts to exchange?

Or just donate them to a children's home. Your DD sounds like she already has plenty.

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Thu 01-Jan-09 21:01:24

can we just stop this incessant moaning about xmas presents already ??

move along now, nothing to see here.......

starbear Thu 01-Jan-09 21:10:52

tell everyone to get you a goat to give to a village. Go on try it and stop moaning.

ScottishMummy Thu 01-Jan-09 21:17:40

contact the heath visitor they will know grateful recipients.give it away rather than hoard it

herbietea Thu 01-Jan-09 21:25:06

Message withdrawn

noonki Thu 01-Jan-09 21:26:39

they knew she liked ITNG and got her stuff for it

that is thoughtful

you wait a few years and you will totally forget what is age appropriate too.

Just either donate them to charity or swap at shop.

wheresthehamster Thu 01-Jan-09 21:27:42

Perhaps you would have preferred Winkie's fleeces?

ILoveBrucie Thu 01-Jan-09 21:29:23

My dcs don't get any presents at all from my family, even ITNG books would be welcome - at least it would show that they cared an iota sad

goldFAQinsenceandmyrrh Thu 01-Jan-09 21:29:50

LOL hamster grin

as for age appropriate - I struggled to remember what was age appropriate for my DS2.......it's been 3yrs since DS1 was that age grin

Mimia Thu 01-Jan-09 21:39:45

I really cannot believe that all these ungrateful threads popping up. Christmas is not an exercise in getting what you can from relatives and friends, how on earth are they supposed to remember what your DC's have and haven't got? And more importantly why should they? Are they supposed to take some sort of itinerary?

Instead of gathering and having a major bitchfest, why did you not organise something constructive like a present swop? Or even explain to your DD that as she already has that book or whatever, how about she passed it on to someone who would like it?

Most of all, what kind of an example are you setting your DCs?

Takver Thu 01-Jan-09 21:45:46

What about a white elephant santa at your next NYE gathering?

Sycamoretree Thu 01-Jan-09 21:49:13

I can't add to the other posters. DD got two identical presents from her aunt and great aunt, but they were perfectly chosen so we just put a big smile and and say great, one for home, one for nana's house. DS got age inappropriate stuff - so what? He got plenty else. We can just regift or donate it.

The world does not revolve around our DC's, much as we would like to think it does. It's too easy in this day and age to look upon xmas as a time when you are going to get a load of stuff for yourself and your dc's that you need. Therefore you are feeling miffed you didn't get it. There is a lesson in perception here - don't bank on anything vital - make sure you have what you kids and yourself need covered, then a gift is what it's supposed to be. An unexpected and genuine surprise that either hits the spot or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now