Talk

Advanced search

to not know how to turn the iron on?

(33 Posts)
crybabybunting Thu 01-Jan-09 10:14:37

A friend of mine who has a DS aged 2yrs and a DD aged 6 weeks is finally coming to the point of view that ironing her children's bed sheets and baby gros etc is not necessary.

Is it just me or is it nuts to iron baby stuff? Or any stuff unless your life depends on it?

My two DCs have never had a single item of clothing ironed and never will.

Am I being unreasonable??

SparklyBaubleFeast Thu 01-Jan-09 10:16:18

slattern
wink

oxocube Thu 01-Jan-09 10:16:35

each to their own. Personally, I think your friend is nuts but we're all different smile

purepurple Thu 01-Jan-09 10:22:31

if it needs ironing then it gets ironed but sheets and babygros? She obviously hasn't got anythnig better to do! I remember as a child my mum ironing socks and underwear but that was because we didn't have a dryer or radiators for the washing

kslatts Thu 01-Jan-09 10:41:32

I iron everything that needs ironing, but never ironed sheets or babygros.

littleboyblue Thu 01-Jan-09 10:43:55

I don't iron vest or grows but do iron ds's 'proper' clothes.
I don't do bed sheets, towels, tea-towels or anything like that. Also don't iron my trousers past the knees as fat thighs sorts that out!
A friend of mine irons her dh's socks and boxers hmm

HollyCherry Thu 01-Jan-09 10:47:45

Bloody good for you!

MarlaSinger Thu 01-Jan-09 10:49:54

Ironing bed sheets? For babies? Crazy.

I don't iron anything unless absolutely needed. Life's too short.

PaddingtonBore Thu 01-Jan-09 10:54:49

I don't iron either. I deliberate choose clothes that I can hang up from the wash, and then wear straight away.

I did do DH a shirt yesterday as a special favour (he was running late) and it took me ages to find the steam thingy.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Thu 01-Jan-09 10:58:07

Message withdrawn

itsjustweird Thu 01-Jan-09 11:02:43

If I need to iron something, I bung it in the tumble with a damp tea towel........it does the trickgrin

SalLikesCoffee Thu 01-Jan-09 11:03:24

YANBU. I don't iron most baby things, and try to get away without most of our things too. My brother on the other hand, irons everything - his underwear included. I think he's unstable. wink

dilemma456 Thu 01-Jan-09 11:05:53

Message withdrawn

BouncingTurtle Thu 01-Jan-09 11:09:53

I don't iron any bedding,nightwear or underwear, and a lot things we have just need a shake and don't need ironing. I do iron shirts, t-shirts, some trousers and most of ds's proper clothes.

Am shock that some people iron socks! And towels! Don't people know that ironing makes them less absorbant?

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Thu 01-Jan-09 11:13:40

Message withdrawn

crybabybunting Thu 01-Jan-09 11:23:22

Ha ha that is good news I'm not alone!

DH irons his own shirts bless him. The iron packed in so I went and borrowed one for him from the neighbour, then when she came and asked for it back I accidentally gave her our faulty one as I didn't know which one was ours.

I should probably be embarrassed but ... my kids are clean and they eat well and I play with them instead of ironing their clothes! So I think that's ok.

Paperchase Thu 01-Jan-09 11:32:37

What is this 'ironing' of which you speak?

llareggub Thu 01-Jan-09 11:44:55

I hate all cleaning with a passion. But I love ironing. I find it very calming to stand there ironing while watching something mindless on television.

There, my guilty secret. I really can't join you on the ironing bashing. I iron as much as I can. And yes, I do get out of the house!

bearhug Thu 01-Jan-09 11:55:38

muslins are the only things I iron - they are just so nice when ironed! Apart from these I agree - life is too short!

WishItWouldSnow Thu 01-Jan-09 12:00:50

IME it's always time to go out and get a job or something more worthwile to do when I find myself ironing tea towels!!!

HappyLife Thu 01-Jan-09 21:55:31

The only thing I use our iron for is hama beads!

pispirispis Thu 01-Jan-09 22:01:30

I'm soooo glad no-one in our house wears a shirt! I've used my iron twice since I bought it two years ago! I suppose you have to iron school uniforms though, do you...?

Shitemum Thu 01-Jan-09 22:05:46

My DD1 was 4 before she saw me iron.

Tigurr Sat 03-Jan-09 01:18:02

LOL Shitemum.

One weekend, DH got the iron & ironing board out (think he had a work-client thing that evening).

DD piped up "oh is Grandma coming to visit?" as G'ma is the only person she's ever seen iron in our house!

These days, the iron is on the side in the kitchen but it's only out because DD is into those Hama bead things which need ironing. Normally it lives in the spare room wardrobe (I think!)

zazen Sat 03-Jan-09 01:54:00

Bunting, I don't know where my iron is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now