Advanced search

Neighbour drinking and driving - what should I do?

(43 Posts)
ScaredOfEverything Sat 27-Dec-08 19:45:29

Hi all, was hoping some advice.

I know there have been some other drinking and driving threads recently so hoping there will be someone with some good ideas.

My DH just went across the road to check all was ok with our neighbours because their garage door was open. He found our neighbour virtually in unconcious with drink and wedged into his car. He was so p*ssed he had driven into his garage and couldnt get out of the car. DH helped him, and he is back in the house now.

We have heard from another neighbour that he regularly drinks and drives but this is the first time we have seen it ourselves. Also, we are really shocked by quite HOW drunk he was. Im not saying drinking and driving is ever excusable, of course not, but being this drunk and driving shocks me to the core.

It seems he goes somewhere and comes back drunk so it is hard for us to prevent this in future by calling the police and catching him in the act. If we call the police is there a chance they will go round and scare him into not doing it anymore?

Im really angry. Any advice gratefully received. THank you.

ScaredOfEverything Sat 27-Dec-08 19:46:12

Just realised I havent said AIBU?! I guess AIBU to call the police and hoping they give him a good scare

ByThePowerOfBaileys Sat 27-Dec-08 19:47:07

I would call the police without giving names or numbers initially and tell them exactly what you have just said.

they may ask for details or they may say they have to catch him... either way you will know.

angry what a stupid man!

FrannyandZooey Sat 27-Dec-08 19:47:12


whoingodsnameami Sat 27-Dec-08 19:48:09

I expect they will take his number plate and randomly stop him when patrol cars see him out and about.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 27-Dec-08 19:48:23

If he is still in the car then phone the police as he can be done even while not driving IYSIM

AugustusGloop Sat 27-Dec-08 19:48:23

He doesnt need to be driving to be done for "drunk in charge of".
If you ring the coppers and tell them this they will store his reg for future number plate recognition stuff.
Why not ask the police to go and speak to him - maybe your local copper?

wotuhohohoinat Sat 27-Dec-08 19:48:37

I think you should call the police. One day you could be crossing the road when he drives in the road and is unable to control his car. The possible consequences don't bear thinking about.

TwoCuteFestiveFairys Sat 27-Dec-08 19:49:42

without a shadow of a doubt call the police and report him, its a shame that your DH helped him into the house, he should have left him there to freeze!!

LongDroopyBoobyLady Sat 27-Dec-08 19:50:20

Did you actually see him driving the car whilst drunk?

I don't think you are being unreasonable for reporting him if you saw him driving whilst drunk but the Police won't be able to do much about it without catching him in the act.

ScaredOfEverything Sat 27-Dec-08 19:50:35

I know. There are so many wee ones in our street angry

We live in teh congestion charge zone so there are loads of cameras. I wonder whether they could use those.

He is not in the car anymore unfortunately.

bigTillyMint Sat 27-Dec-08 19:51:11

My dad used to do this - he was an alcoholic.

He killed someone.

Call the police and give name and number.

ScaredOfEverything Sat 27-Dec-08 19:51:23

We didnt actually see him driving, but it was clear that he had driven into his garage which is right on the road. Else he wouldnt have been able to get in that position.

bellavita Sat 27-Dec-08 19:51:47

I think what the police will do is come out and if his car has been in use recently, they will be able to tell because the engine will not be clap cold (even if he says he has not been driving) and then breathalise him.

balismum Sat 27-Dec-08 19:52:40

call the police. YABU not to.

LongDroopyBoobyLady Sat 27-Dec-08 19:53:07

I think you should probably call the Police and let them know what has happened just to put him on their radar for next time.

NorthernLurkerwithastarontop Sat 27-Dec-08 19:53:42

Call the police right now!

Friends of ours are right now at the hospital bedside of their loved one - critically injured by a drunk driver on Boxing Day. It's not up to you what the police do - but the least you can do is call them!

fishie Sat 27-Dec-08 19:54:53

yes you must call, he can't be allowed to do that again.

WorzselMummage Sat 27-Dec-08 19:56:27

Definatly call the police !

ScaredOfEverything Sat 27-Dec-08 19:58:27

Oh goodness Northern that is awful.

My anxiety about calling the police now is that he will know it is us, and it may not lead to anything happening. Do you think I have anything to lose by waiting until tomorrow so is less obvious we were the ones taht called?

onager Sat 27-Dec-08 19:59:49

I'm usually against all these "shall I report someone" threads, but being too drunk to even get out of a car is pretty serious.

You sound like good neighbours since your DH helped him so it's not vindictive if you speak to the police.

Before you do though just be on the safe side and make sure it's not an illness or something that makes him look drunk. Doesn't sound like it in this case, but you've only got another neighbours word for it that it happens a lot.

TheSeriousSanta Sat 27-Dec-08 20:00:52

I'd call the police immediately.

Even if they aren't able to do anything NOW (which they may or may not be able to) they can store the details for later.

It will help with any case.

And how would you feel if you did nothing and he hurt or killed someone?

pamelat Sat 27-Dec-08 20:02:37

I would call crime stoppers and give the deails. Imagine if he killed someone.

YOu could ask crime stoppers (anonymous) how likely the police would be to act on it, if unlikely, then call the police directly.

If you find out what pub he normally goes to then they can sort out a random stop from there and it wont look obvious that its you.

NorthernLurkerwithastarontop Sat 27-Dec-08 20:05:10

Well if he's so drunk that he can't get out of the house tonight then no there's nothing to lose - except that you don't know that's the case do you? And he could easily drive tomorrow whilst still drunk and he could kill anybody - including your loved ones. Call now. If he's says anything to you then you can deny it - he'll never know. He won't mention it though - he will be ashamed and so he should be!

bellavita Sat 27-Dec-08 20:07:15

Sorry to hear about your friends lo NorthernLurker sad

ScaredOf - please phone the police now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: