Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be pissed of that my FIL has sat in my lounge all pm watching TV????

(12 Posts)
Divineintervention Fri 26-Dec-08 19:33:27

We don't get on (I accept this but he blames me) and he has not spoken to me and, worse, has sat watching tv all afternoon. My 5 & 6 yr old have done the same as I found myself telling them off for watching TV and then thought how can I when their adult relative is doing it????
My DH asked him to switch it off as the dcs are expected to play and he said he may as well go home (2 hr drive). angry

honeybehappy Fri 26-Dec-08 19:35:02

what do you want him to be doing?

Divineintervention Fri 26-Dec-08 19:39:00

Reading, playing, speaking to the children.
He has watched TV in a room on his own with the door closed, mainly watching sport so not child friendly.
To be fair whatever he does is no good as I really dislike him.... so lose lose really.

bigTillyMint Fri 26-Dec-08 19:41:15

My FIL watches TV non-stop, and channel hops all the timeangry

I hide the remote whenever he goes out of the roomgrin

izyboy Fri 26-Dec-08 19:42:33

My FIL is like this. After we have driven 3 hours to see them my FIL will do a cursory 'hello' and then go straight back to hours of sport (has sky box can record). He then calls DS 'aggressive' when the lad (3 at the time) got bored of trying to get GD to play and then made a fuss about wanting to watch Cbeebies. You have my sympathy v poor in my opinion.

FrannyandZooey Fri 26-Dec-08 19:42:43

if he says he would rather go home than interact with you for part of the day I would let him, tbh

choosyfloosy Fri 26-Dec-08 19:42:58

What a rubbish guest he is.

If he would really rather go home than not watch TV in someone else's house, well... 'Go on then, drive safely' seems like an appropriate response.

izyboy Fri 26-Dec-08 19:46:21

I also get pissed off at the pipe smoke, we come home with coughs after every visit. I try very hard to bite my tongue but I am thinking of some sharp one-liners in prep for tomorrow's visit. They are lazy sods. I personally couldn't care less but I see other GDs doting on their grandkids and it makes me feel sad for mine.

izyboy Fri 26-Dec-08 19:49:56

.... I notice he is visiting - well it is the same when our GD visits. I dont watch much telly so it doesnt bother me but he is just crap at 'play' so interaction when it does happen is a bit underwhelming. Oh well you can lead a horse to water....I agree 'on your bike GD'.

salsmum Mon 29-Dec-08 14:15:30

IZYBOY......there's a little thing in the plug called a fuse grin take fuse out of T.V. plug and he'll either play with DS or erm....go home grin x

MissisBoot Mon 29-Dec-08 14:18:59

Your house your rules surely - give him a count down and say that at 2.30 the tv is going off. Could you all sit down and play a game or something together? Cards?

LucyJones Mon 29-Dec-08 14:21:06

I don't think you can make him play with your children
however you can organise to do something, like go out for a walk, to the park etc and ask him to come
you don't have to stay in all day jst ebcause he is there do you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now