Talk

Advanced search

to expect someone whose baby has just puked everywhere to go home!

(26 Posts)
lindenlass Mon 22-Dec-08 18:14:21

Colds and flu I can cope with - it's good for children to get illnesses here and there - but vomitting bugs are just horrible, especially for large families, and especially around Christmas time. So why would someone at a coffee morning stay there for ages after her baby's been sick and she's said 'Oh, he's never, ever been sick like that before - must be a bug, I wonder where he's caught that from!'?????

I left myself in the end - we've just got rid of flu in our house and I'm not intending to invite vomitting in in it's place!

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Mon 22-Dec-08 18:16:18

the baby was sick just the once ?

YABU, babies are sick for lots of reasons, not necessarily a scary vomiting bug

nametaken Mon 22-Dec-08 18:17:25

YABU

lindenlass Mon 22-Dec-08 18:20:44

No, this baby was ill sick - he's 7m old, and never ever sick from just possetting! And besides, why risk it? Believe me, I know that babies can be sick for all sorts of reasons - I've had four of my own! And I can tell ill sick from possetting sick too. This baby was ill - but even if it wasn't obvious, I would have gone home if it were one of mine. Tell me someone doesn't think IABU!

Reallytired Mon 22-Dec-08 18:20:45

Depends on the age of the baby and if the baby is a sicky baby.

My son had reflux and was sick four to six times a day for the first six months of his life. He had an immature gastric valve, he didn't have any illness as such. Would you have banned me from your coffee morning?

However if the baby is rarely sick then I don't think you are being unreasonable. Especially as gastric bugs can be very dangerous for young babies.

lindenlass Mon 22-Dec-08 18:21:33

Mine have all been sicky babies - this wasn't 'sicky baby' sick sad

littleboyblue Mon 22-Dec-08 18:24:26

YABU. This baby could have had any kind of bug or illness at the moment and if he hadn't been sick, you'd have been none the wiser to the fact that he was ill. Can understand you not wanting family to get ill, but if we thought like that no one would leave their house during the winter

Smithagain Mon 22-Dec-08 18:24:56

Given what she said (never, ever been sick like that before) I agree with you. She should have taken him home. People are way too casual about sick bugs and inflicting them on someone else.

(Am still grumpy about the bug DD2 picked up a couple of weeks ago after her friend's mum cheerfully announce that nursery had "nearly sent her home because she was sick yesterday". Why on earth they did not send her home, I do not know.)

BalloonSlayer Mon 22-Dec-08 18:24:57

Reallytired the OP didn't suggest anything like you are saying.

Why does the OP writing: "she's said 'Oh, he's never, ever been sick like that before - must be a bug, I wonder where he's caught that from!'?????" read to you as the OP excluding a baby with relux who was "sick four to six times a day for the first six months of his life" ?

NAB3hundredChristmaslights Mon 22-Dec-08 18:25:33

YANBU but maybe mum didn't think it was that bad?

I had a sick mindee, both ends, (sorry TMI) sent child home and said he couldnt come back for 48 hours...........................so Mum took him to a coffee morning as 'she cant stand staying in all day'!!!!!

It beggers belief, and it is not the first one I have done something similar.

VanillaPumpkin Mon 22-Dec-08 18:33:07

I think YANBU. I hate it when parents are so blase about sickness bugs sad. The children may well have picked it up from being around him already but that is hardly the point. If a child is sick/ill with a bug then get them home asap.

pamelat Mon 22-Dec-08 19:02:25

Or it could have been a reaction to food?

If the baby was "properly" unwell, you would hope that mum would have realised and left.

ummadam Mon 22-Dec-08 19:29:18

My very non sicky son did this at the library story time. He was fine before and after.... I suspect it may have had something to do with his dad swinging him around immediately after his morning snack..... I thought about taking him home but he was so obviously fine I just cleaned him up and let him get on with it.

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Mon 22-Dec-08 19:40:31

Even if it was a sicky "bug" it is true that you are most infectious 2-3 days before your symptoms are apparent.

So you are only safe from bugs if you never leave the house. It is just as likely if you catch something that it was from the smiley baby sat on your other side.

outinthesticksmummy Mon 22-Dec-08 19:41:42

YANBU in my opinion!! We've just recovered from this winter vomitting bug after attending a christmas party where people knowingly took their ill babies, went through the twins first, then 3 yr old then dh then me, it was hell!!! Think i would have run for the door!!! mind you this was only last week so perhaps i'm being a bit paranoid. We currrently all have flu sad

spongebrainbigpants Mon 22-Dec-08 22:34:40

YANBU, my 6 mth old DS was very sick at my work Christmas lunch on Thursday and I couldn't wait to get out of there fast enough! blush

And, yes you can definitely tell the difference between a bit of baby sick and full on vomitting - and I am a new mum!

He threw up on two of my colleagues - I took him home cos (a) it was unpleasant for other people at the meal, (b) I didn't want him throwing up on anyone else and (c) he needed to be at home, in a quiet space having cuddles!

Hope none of your family gets it for Christmas - it's horrible sad.

feedthegoat Mon 22-Dec-08 22:42:02

My ds has the vomiting bug at the moment. I have already ruled him out of a birthday party on christmas eve because even if he is well it will not be within 48 hours of symptoms. Agree that coughs and colds are one thing but vomiting bugs are different. Besides would you go out with one yourself? Most people wouldn't want to so why would your dc.

abigproblem Mon 22-Dec-08 22:43:28

YANBU my DD did this once we cleaned up and left.

TotalChaos Mon 22-Dec-08 22:46:33

YANBU. It's the parent saying - must be a bug that makes you YANBU. As of course some babies are very sicky without there being an illness or infection.

Dottoressa Mon 22-Dec-08 22:46:45

YANBU with knobs on!!

I hope you escape unscathed. People who do this are a real pain. If it were one of mine who'd been sick, I'd leave for fear of passing it on. Grr.

Mincepie - I'm afraid it's not true that vomiting bugs are most contagious prior to symptoms. They're most contagious if you come into actual contact with the diarrhoea or vomit of an infected person (which, of course, happens with children who don't wash their hands properly, then handle toys, hold hand with other children and so on...).

oldraver Tue 23-Dec-08 23:14:08

YANBU.. I was aghast that a mum bought her ...too ill for school, with a hacking chesty cough so bad that he was almost sick... into play school each day for over a week and half.(school didnt want him back for the last 3 days of term).

She was happy for him to go and sit in the car when he got bored or was coughing too much, as she was gassing to other Mums while waiting to go into pre-school. So God knows why she couldn't of kept him away

Santaslittlehelpersmum Tue 23-Dec-08 23:25:17

Both my boys have reflux and so i know what you mean by sick and sick sick! i really dont get some people firstly why put other peoples kids at risk and secondly there is no thought for the baby i know how shit I feel when I am proper sick and the last thing I would want to do is be at a party etc poor thing

peanutbuttermarmitetoast Wed 24-Dec-08 08:53:41

I think it is always best to err on the side of caution. My 2 year old was very sick at a party recently, I was 99% certain that it was because she had choked on a crisp but incase it wasn't we went home and guess what, she wasn't sick again but I didn't want to take the risk that it was the start of a bug. Big difference between random sickness and reflux sickness.

Nemostwonderfultimeoftheyear Wed 24-Dec-08 08:57:51

am mixed on this one
DD1 had bad reflux so used to vomit loads...
dd2 for the past 2 months has had so much catarrah on her chest she has thrown up at least every couple of days and she is 23mths. She threw up this morning but isnt ill just snotty.
However if the mum made the statement he must have a bug then yes I would probably expect them to go home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now