Talk

Advanced search

to expect to be working with adults instead of children

(24 Posts)
clarabellabella Wed 17-Dec-08 22:30:32

First off: I am not a teacher, so I am actually supposed to be working with adults, not children (I work in the financial services sector). Basically, tonight was our work do and we had decided to do something fun (karaoke), but various people whinged "oh, I don't want to do that, it's lame, I hate it" "I'm not doing that, are you being ridiculous!" "let me list all the places I'd rather be, like home, or dead, than doing karaoke" but then came along anyway, and took over the whole evening. As in, you could not get the mike away from them all evening, and they kept on deleting other people's my choices, just so that they could do solos or else sang, *out of key* when other people were --I was-- supposed to be singing.
TBH, I was actually really looking forward to it, because I genuinely enjoy karaoke, wanted to do it for my b'day, but booked too late. AIBU?

Oh, and the crowning turd on the manure pile (to quote Blackadder) was when I told someone about my grievances (with as little swearing as possible), they said "Oh, she's just like that. She's even like that at the best of times" about one of the most whingiest and annoying people. Surely she should know better? She's a fucking adult FFS!? (Can I just re-iterate, I LOVE karaoke, so not getting do any of something I really enjoy totally got on my tits)

DoubleBluff Wed 17-Dec-08 22:31:45

what?

Lauriefairyonthetreeeatscake Wed 17-Dec-08 22:32:56

have you been drinking? grin

clarabellabella Wed 17-Dec-08 22:33:07

Basic message: people whinged about going, then took over the whole evening, behaving like primadonnas (sorry for rant)

clarabellabella Wed 17-Dec-08 22:33:34

Possibly. Some wine. A little. Since 12:30

clarabellabella Wed 17-Dec-08 22:33:37

Possibly. Some wine. A little. Since 12:30

hannahlouhoo Wed 17-Dec-08 22:33:50

drunk clara? dont get this?!

wheresthehamster Wed 17-Dec-08 22:33:55

??

Are you jealous of all the posts on the birthay party thread and feeling left out? hmm

2AdventSevenfoldShoes Wed 17-Dec-08 22:37:07

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

clarabellabella Wed 17-Dec-08 22:38:49

I missed the birthday party thread, so it's not related to that.

thumbElf Wed 17-Dec-08 22:38:54

little bit moany but I can see your point, tbh.
Then again, I frequently get the feeling that most workplaces are just
continuations of the school playground.

valleysprincess Wed 17-Dec-08 22:40:32

Clarabellabella? You are very strange.

clarabellabella Wed 17-Dec-08 22:43:57

It's just that something I was lookign forward to was ruined by other people, who originally couldn't give a toss. Though, one of the people has been annoying me a lot recently, so I'm hyper-sensitive about things that she does

ScottishMummy Wed 17-Dec-08 22:53:32

ok here is something else to set your hyper-sensitivity off scale.your thread is nutty

OhLITTLEFISHofBethlehem Wed 17-Dec-08 22:56:47

To quote you.....

"behaving like primadonnas"

Pot, kettle, black! grin

Tryharder Wed 17-Dec-08 23:00:23

At least you had a work do. Last year, I tried organised a Xmas do meal out(curry followed by drinks). Our workplace is quite small (about 15 of us) but it ended up with only 2 of us wanting to go so we cancelled sad

Some were whinging 'cos they didn't like curry, others insisted on curry 'cos they only eat halal, others didn't drink, others said they wanted to go for a drink only...

Bah humbug.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 17-Dec-08 23:05:17

People who take karaoke seriously are quite funny though.

ScottishMummy Wed 17-Dec-08 23:09:27

i only take it seriously because i is ace

TheFallenMadonna Wed 17-Dec-08 23:11:07

Yes. People who think they are ace are the funniest of all wink

TheFallenMadonna Wed 17-Dec-08 23:12:19

Really though - you can't mix the serious karaokers and people who are having a larf. Will end in tears. Or huffs.

ScottishMummy Wed 17-Dec-08 23:13:17

shucks i will gie up the day job catch a plane to la-la-land result of my big karoke break wink

VinegarTitsTheSeasonToBeJolly Wed 17-Dec-08 23:16:29

I understand your op perfectly

your peeved because people maoned about going to karaoke, then they turned up, hogged the mike and sang like x-factor rejects, right?

Whats not to understand? does that mean i am as nutty as the op grin

ScottishMummy Wed 17-Dec-08 23:18:38

naw she takes the nuttiness to a new level.you are a mere nutty come lately

Panta Wed 17-Dec-08 23:28:08

and we wasted precious cyber-space? Over this??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now