Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to wonder if perhaps only christians should celebrate christmas?

(101 Posts)
gingertabbywithsnowypaws Tue 16-Dec-08 18:39:36

what do you think.

i am COE btw

cornsilk Tue 16-Dec-08 18:40:15

do you think only christians should?

kormaisforlifenotjustchristmas Tue 16-Dec-08 18:40:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ToysAreLikeDogs Tue 16-Dec-08 18:40:40

Can you clarify what you mean?

compo Tue 16-Dec-08 18:41:09

it orginates from a pagan festival though

Lauriefairyonthetreeeatscake Tue 16-Dec-08 18:41:44

erm....no, I don't agree. Jesus not born at Christmas and pagans celebrated winterfestival long before.

IMO everyone deserves a winter celebration, anything to break up the monotony of winter

cory Tue 16-Dec-08 18:42:18

I happen to be a Christian. But I was celebrating Christmas before then. A lot of the customs and rituals predate Christianity, particularly in Sweden where I grew up- and where Christianity arrived rather late.

NotDoingTheHousework Tue 16-Dec-08 18:42:33

Message withdrawn

KerryMum Tue 16-Dec-08 18:44:54

I'm agnostic and still celebrate it.

I do it purely for the commercial aspect.

gingertabbywithsnowypaws Tue 16-Dec-08 18:46:02

no i dont because, i think it can welcome people into the church and teach children about religion etc.

PeachyBidsYouNadoligLlawen Tue 16-Dec-08 18:46:05

Well from a Chrsitian perspective perhaps

but a non-Christian isnt seeing it in that way is he / she?

Yabra

(yab rather awkward) wink

cornsilk Tue 16-Dec-08 18:46:56

Father Christmas isn't a religious figure anyway. I know he originates from St Nicholas but he's morphed into something very different.

MrsMattie Tue 16-Dec-08 18:47:11

I am atheist and celebrate it partly due to tradition (my family growing up were Catholics). and partly as a sort of pagan festival, really - I take the tre/decs/food/gifts bit of it and just dont really bother about Jesus's birthday smile. Ok, I do bother a bit, as DH is a Catholic. And I do love the atmosphere and ritual of Midnight Mass.

sticksantaupyourchimney Tue 16-Dec-08 18:48:25

Do you want a fight? 'Christmas' as a Christian festival is a completely made-up confection ie nicked from a mixture of the Celtic/Norse/Roman midwinter festivals.
And anyway, WTF has it got to do with you whether or not other people celebrate? How does it actually affect your celebrations?

I know that plenty of perfectly nice, likeable, sensible people just happen to have religious faiths, but there do seem to be an awful lot more utterly bucketheaded Christians around these days.

tumpyfairygodmother Tue 16-Dec-08 18:49:20

thats a bit miserable grin We are not christian but have always "celebrated" christmas with a family meal and some gifts.

Gorionine Tue 16-Dec-08 18:49:20

Was it called Christmas though when Pagand were celebrating it ? I think The OP might be refering to Christmas as the birth of Jesus, In which case I think she is right. (I am not a Christian BTW).

When you sasy you celebrat it do you mean the gift side only or the birth of Jesus Kerrymum?

CoteDAzur Tue 16-Dec-08 18:50:27

YANBU because Christmas is not about "celebrating the birth of Christ", at least in our day and age. It has become much more - holidays, presents, lights everywhere, families getting together, etc.

edam Tue 16-Dec-08 18:50:34

It was a pagan festival LONG before it was adopted by the Christians. Build a bloody big bonfire to encourage the sun to come back and all that.

Call it Yuletide, call it Saturnalia, call it Christmas - everyone deserves a mid-winter festival!

I'd be prepared to put a small bet on Father Christmas developing from pagan rituals as well as St Nick, too.

Ivykaty44 Tue 16-Dec-08 18:51:59

I celebrate Yule time - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule as it was taken in and all swallowed into YABU it isn't just a christian festivle

edam Tue 16-Dec-08 18:52:06

Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians, aren't they? But don't celebrate Christmas. Clearly Christians don't have a monopoly on this...

Yanda Tue 16-Dec-08 18:53:01

YABVU, as others have said Christmas isn't really a Christian celebration. I don't think that it can therefore welcome people into Christianity unless they already have leanings to that religion.

poinsettydog Tue 16-Dec-08 18:53:03

ginge, no. That is a silly idea.

cory Tue 16-Dec-08 18:53:50

In Swedish it is still called Jul and not Christmas. Does that mean English non-Christians must not celebrate it but Swedish non-Christians may? What it happens to be called in different languages doesn't make it into anything different, does it?

Most Christians include pagan ceremonies in their celebrations whether they know it or not. Perhaps all non-bona-fide pagans should be banned from the mistletoe?

joyfuleyes Tue 16-Dec-08 18:55:12

we don't celebrate Christmas but enjoy a midwinter feast with decorations, gifts, singing & alcohol

BakewellTarts Tue 16-Dec-08 18:56:45

Everyone certainly needs a midwinter celebration. My DB and DSIL live in NZ and have a midsummer celebration to get them through their winter.

We celebrate as atheists but focus on the celebration of halfway through winter / family gathering approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now