Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To have had a go at 2 old bats in the supermarket?

(53 Posts)
sb6699 Mon 15-Dec-08 14:19:36

Just back from supermarket with dd's 1&2 (age 4 and 2).

While I was standing looking at a shelf dd2 was running round my legs singing. These two old bats walk by with their faces contorted saying in a loud voice "that is so awful" - wtf.

Rather than ignoring them I turned round and said "is the noise from a 2 year old child singing really that awful". Their reply was at 2 years old I should be telling her to be quiet and that the supermarket is not a playground!. My response to that was basically to tell her if that was her opinion she should think of staying at home with doors and windows locked and cotton wool in her ears etc, etc.

Fair enough she was getting rather loud and I was about to ask her to pipe down but is it really that bad to hear a child --trying to-- sing?

I am so angry

So was IBU?

roundcornvirgin Mon 15-Dec-08 14:21:04

What was she singing?

crumpet Mon 15-Dec-08 14:21:28

Well, if you thought it was loud enough to want her to pipe down then yes I think yabu.

bogwobbit Mon 15-Dec-08 14:24:52

Yab ( a bit)u. You obviously thought she was too loud so it's only to be expected that other people might too.
It was a bit rude of her to comment but equally rude of you to respond. Live and let live and all that

sb6699 Mon 15-Dec-08 14:25:05

LOl rouncorn - I have no idea she can't quite talk yet!

I think if she was being destructive, tantruming and throwing things off the shelves, I could have got their point - but singing! She was loud enough that you would have heard her if you were in the same aisle but probably not if you were any further away.

roundcornvirgin Mon 15-Dec-08 14:25:27

If she was singing something like boyzone then yabu. 'Old bats' tend to have different and sometimes unreasonable ideas about how chn should behave, but being rude back is generally not the answer.

mrsruffallo Mon 15-Dec-08 14:25:47

Surely it is better to laugh or ignore such comments rather than get into a slanging match with an elderly lady

devoutsceptic Mon 15-Dec-08 14:26:42

She was rude. I'd have been pissed off too. I absolutely hate that kind of passive aggressive behaviour, ie pretending to talk to a friend, but really having a go at you/your kid - makes me see red.

loobeylou Mon 15-Dec-08 14:27:26

I would have been tempted to say to DD "say Happy Christmas to the nice ladies X" and done a sweet grin and said "isn't it lovely to hear children being so happy"

sb6699 Mon 15-Dec-08 14:27:40

I don't think I've phrased it too well. I wouldn't really class them as "elderly" - probably their mid-60's.

Sparkletastic Mon 15-Dec-08 14:28:16

YANBU - don't blame you for being provoked by their lack of manners. Being elderly does not equal being rude and intolerant.

roundcornvirgin Mon 15-Dec-08 14:28:43

Oh I like loobeylou's idea! That would have floored them!

VinegarTitsTheSeasonToBeJolly Mon 15-Dec-08 14:29:16

I would have just ignored them in the first place, there was no need to have a go at them, just let it go over your head

Ohforfoxsake Mon 15-Dec-08 14:30:39

Yes YABU.

You should have joined in, and perhaps waltzed around the sprouts while you were at it. grin

miserable buggers.

bigTillyMint Mon 15-Dec-08 14:31:01

Old bats are SOOOO out of touch with the real world. I think you were quite restrainedgrin

poshwellies Mon 15-Dec-08 14:32:15

Why do elderly people feel the need to be rude? Just because you've hit 75,it doesn't give you the right to publicly remark,tut and mutter under your breath at others,why should people put up with it?

I would of told her to mind her own business.

sb6699 Mon 15-Dec-08 14:33:21

Liked Loobey's idea as well - unfortunately DD1 piped up "why are those ladies being mean about my baby sister?" That seemed to quieten them slightly.

At that, I had to walk away PMSL grin

roundcornvirgin Mon 15-Dec-08 14:33:49

Good for dd!

Lulumama Mon 15-Dec-08 14:34:03

surely you were just as rude to respond

i don;t get this thing of having a go back,surely just walking passed, head held high, rather than getting into a slanging match is more dignified and a better example to your DD?

loobeylou Mon 15-Dec-08 14:34:25

well done DD1 !

poshwellies Mon 15-Dec-08 14:34:42

Out of the mouths of babes eh?

Ha!

sb6699 Mon 15-Dec-08 14:36:38

Now I am calm(er), yes I should probably have ignored them but they were making such a fuss people were starting to turn around.

Although the very elderly couple standing next to us invited DD's round to sing carols to folk who would appreciate them!

devoutsceptic Mon 15-Dec-08 14:37:23

I might have said, 'Sing loudly for the poor old ladies darling!' with a savage smile. Two can do the passive aggressive thing!

SnowOfHands Mon 15-Dec-08 14:41:01

I'd be very careful in future. DH (police officer) was very late home a while ago because half an hour before the end of his shift he had to attend a punch up in Sainsbo's. Two pensioners brawling over some carrots. They're dangerous.

sb6699 Mon 15-Dec-08 14:41:51

SOH - it was Sainsburys we were in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now