Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To complain about this girl?

(35 Posts)
honeybehappy Tue 04-Nov-08 10:31:07

I came out of the doctors yesterday and as i was turning to go on the path a bike crashed into my buggy, it was lucky i was holding on to the buggy tightly as we ended up facing the other way and the girl on the bike still couldn't stop for another 6 feet.

It was 5 o'clock so it was dark and the stupid cow had no lights and was going so bloody fast dd2(16 months) started screaming and the girl didnt even say sorry or ask how dd was.

I am so bloody angry, she was on her paper round so today i am going to complain to the shop i know they probably won't care or do anything but hopefully it will make her think twice about riding that fast on the path.

Dd has a large bruise on her leg and told me it sore this morning.

So AIBU to tell the shop?

compo Tue 04-Nov-08 10:32:03

how old is the girl?

compo Tue 04-Nov-08 10:32:48

I wouldn't complain about her tbh I would mention to the shop that it isn't safe doing a paper round in the dark on a bike with no lights though

honeybehappy Tue 04-Nov-08 10:34:37

she looked about 14-15

honeybehappy Tue 04-Nov-08 10:36:27

I'm just glad dd1 stayed at home because she would of hit her aswell.

SammyK Tue 04-Nov-08 10:39:08

YANBU,

this happened to ds at the same age, my SIL had him and felt really shaken up by it, totally turned buggy over and onto bike!

I would go in and make the point more about lights, it's just as dangerous for her, and she is still a child don't forget. Are you sure papergirl was from this shop though?? Make sure before you go in.

solidgoldbrass Tue 04-Nov-08 10:40:44

I think telling the shop is not unreasonable. It is of course possible that the girl was riding fast because she knew she had no lights and wanted to get home before it got too dark (paper rounds do not pay much and she perhaps can't afford a bike light). It is the shop's job to check, I think, that their paper-round staff are not putting themselves or others at risk like this/

nailpolish Tue 04-Nov-08 10:42:06

i wouldnt "complain"
but advise the shop that it is dangerous for he and pedestrians
maybe her parents refuse to buy her some lights, maybe its not her fault
she should have stopped, yes, but sheis 14 and you dont alway sknow what the right thing is to do at that age

honeybehappy Tue 04-Nov-08 10:44:34

I'm pretty sure i know the shop she does it for, i'm going to go in anyway.

It's better than doing nothing and it's better than doing what i was going to do which was push her off her bike wink

honeybehappy Tue 04-Nov-08 10:46:17

nailpolish ofcourse it was her fault she chose to ride that fast on a path where people walk.

beanieb Tue 04-Nov-08 10:52:14

Yes you should. As a teenager I had a paper round and cycled on the pavement sometimes until I crashed into an elderly man coming out of his house.

As an adult (Well pretty much since then) I have been quite militant in my attitude towards cycling and I believe that people should use the road not the pavement.

Actually - the llights thing worried me more. The shop really shouldn't send out kids without lights, not to mention the parents!

I think any parent who gets their child a bike but failes to get them lights is an idiot.

giddly Tue 04-Nov-08 11:00:48

I certainly think you should complain (assuming you're sure you know where she works). If she's old enough to be employed she's old enough to act responsibly. A girl was recently killed after being hit by a bike - her age doesn't make it any safer for pedestrians.
And if she can't afford / parents won't buy bike lights she can walk or not do the job.

nailpolish Tue 04-Nov-08 11:05:34

she is only 14

beanieb Tue 04-Nov-08 11:06:47

what does only 14 matter? her parents should get her light.

rolledhedgehog Tue 04-Nov-08 11:08:19

Yes you should complain. I hate anyone other than my little children riding on the pavements.

nailpolish Tue 04-Nov-08 11:08:32

what i mean is, maybe she wants to get lights but her parents wont buy them
i remember when i was 14 and had a paper round
you get grief for not doing it quick enough
you worry about taking too long
you dont think about safety properly at that age
she should have stopped but she was maybe worried about the scary woman complaining and losing her job

nailpolish Tue 04-Nov-08 11:09:24

and im being serious
i think you should go to the shop and tell them about it, the girl should be aware of this but she should get another chance

beanieb Tue 04-Nov-08 11:10:39

you use the money you earn to buy lights! BINGO!

nailpolish Tue 04-Nov-08 11:11:07

its not as simple as that is it

honeybehappy Tue 04-Nov-08 11:11:19

lights wouldn't really have made a difference in this situation though it was the fact that she was riding so fast on the path and obviously not paying attention.

giddly Tue 04-Nov-08 11:12:46

Well is she's not thinking about safety, someone should point it out.
I don't buy this "only 14" stuff. I think by that age they need to start taking some responsibility for themselves. A few generations ago they'd be out of education and working full time - not saying that's right, obviously, but don't see the point of infantilising teens either (old git emoticon).

citronella Tue 04-Nov-08 11:16:07

At 14 you are old enough to know that riding a bike fast on the pavement in the dark can be dangerous. You are also old enough to know to apologise.
If parents allow their child to do a paper round they are also responsible for making sure that child can do it as safely as possible.
YANBU

MorningTownRide Tue 04-Nov-08 11:19:30

YA sooo NBU - It is illegal to ride a bike on the footway.

beanieb Tue 04-Nov-08 11:25:43

"its not as simple as that is it " why not?

2shoeshissbangwhoosh Tue 04-Nov-08 11:28:00

I would have a word with the owner of the shop. in the hope that he would speak to the girl. I wouldn't complain, just rise it as a concern for the safety of the paper boys/girls.

14/15 are not that clued up on safety. although she must have been to ride on the pavement rather than the road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now