Talk

Advanced search

to be fucking seething over my dad critasizing what we spend our money on, when he has smoked and drunk for years

(28 Posts)
maggottinfestedbodybag Sun 02-Nov-08 23:08:22

fucking clueless xxxxxxxxxx

he thinks it ok to say oh thats expensive, oh thats a bit ott isn't it.

it our fucking money we earnt it.

you smoked heavy for 50 years you stupid div you cant really advise anyone on whats a waste of money you fake morals person....

maggottinfestedbodybag Sun 02-Nov-08 23:14:30

actually what a good way to describe the way somene wastes loads of money smoking.

seeing it all go up in smoke
money to burn?
anymore?

SlartyBartFast Sun 02-Nov-08 23:15:20

feelign better afteryour rant?

maggottinfestedbodybag Sun 02-Nov-08 23:17:45

not yet angry

snoopdog Sun 02-Nov-08 23:18:40

was he criticizing or just asking/saying this or that is expensive?

maggottinfestedbodybag Sun 02-Nov-08 23:21:01

he was criticizing.

how f'ing dare he

i am going to put him straight

snoopdog Sun 02-Nov-08 23:21:07

i think this sort of rant is relative

prettybutterfly Sun 02-Nov-08 23:21:52

Smokers genuinely have no idea how much they are spending, because it's in dribs and drabs compared to a lump sum on a gift etc. (Believe me, I know!) It's probably the same with drinking ... not sure what your dad spends though.

Yanbu, of course, but there's no point fuming about it! Think of a few calm and firm ways to reroute the conversation and move on. Deep breaths!

stitch Sun 02-Nov-08 23:26:59

thats not a nice way to speak about your father.

Quattrocento Sun 02-Nov-08 23:38:06

You have to roll with the punches from parents, I think. It might well be motivated by genuine concern to make sure that you are not overspending. Parents worry about stuff like that.

SlartyBartFast Sun 02-Nov-08 23:38:49

don't forget, he used to wipe your bum... and sometimes they forget

ThePregnantHedgeWitch Mon 03-Nov-08 09:31:27

Message withdrawn

maggottinfestedbodybag Mon 03-Nov-08 09:34:34

er yes i do thanks

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 03-Nov-08 09:38:36

It is only his place to comment if you are asking him to bail you out financially or he sees that you are struggling and is worried about you.

Starbear Mon 03-Nov-08 09:40:10

maggot, My Dad criticized me for drinking too much tea, not having a baby, not beening married. My dad smoked, drank heavily and use to have affairs and treat my like muck. Sorry, I just use to laugh. But he was right I can't sleep if I drink tea after 6pm, I'm happier married with a kid. sadly he is no longer around to say I told you so. I hope he looking down with a smile.

doggiesayswoof Mon 03-Nov-08 09:43:40

Think you might have some ishoos with your dad there maggot?

Maybe he is worried you are getting into debt and just not expressing himself very well. If I was you I would say "it's fine, we can afford it" and leave it at that

If you start pointing the finger at his lifestyle you are doing exactly the same as he is doing.

doggiesayswoof Mon 03-Nov-08 09:44:29

I'm wondering why it bothers you so much.

DustyTvHasSizzlingSparklerssss Mon 03-Nov-08 09:46:30

YABU, he is probably just trying to be helpful but not coming across how he wants to.

My mum sometimes does this to me, not in a nasty, controlling kind of way, but in a worried can you really afford it kind of way. I am grateful to her for doing it. Yes it sometimes grates on me, but she is doing it for the best.
Also the amount of times my mum has helped me (personaly) finacially (always paid back) then imo she has every right.
Again my mum has steped up and helped DH and I pay some bill, DH has just started a new job so we have had a small shortfall this month. I am so grateful to her and my dad for thier help.

Saturn74 Mon 03-Nov-08 09:46:39

Smile and nod.
<<closes 'How to Deal with Annoying Relatives' book>>

DustyTvHasSizzlingSparklerssss Mon 03-Nov-08 09:46:54

Their not thier blush

maggottinfestedbodybag Mon 03-Nov-08 09:50:23

ok we have just book a holiday to barbados just before christmas.
when we tll me we off on holiday, he goes BARBADOS!! how much is that costing!??

he knows we can afford it.

doggiesayswoof Mon 03-Nov-08 09:52:54

I take it he has never been to Barbados?

Laugh it off.

Starbear Mon 03-Nov-08 09:53:08

Oh I wish we could go to Barbados. Just smile and enjoy. You lucky thing

SlartyBartFast Mon 03-Nov-08 09:53:23

take him with you wink

ThePregnantHedgeWitch Mon 03-Nov-08 09:57:38

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now