Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Not sure where to put this. DPs family.

(9 Posts)
RagingHormone Fri 31-Oct-08 19:39:37

A young member of DPs family died and they were very close. It's her anniversary in a couple of days. I love her family to bits but she died a few months before I met DP and it's quite a big deal in the town and I don't like to seem like I'm trying to get in on things.

Nothing's been mentioned to me about her anniversary but they've told DP that they're all meeting up to the cemetary and doing something special so obviously to go.

DP is working so he can't go but he wants me to go to represent him and he wants me to take our baby. It's really important to him. We have a very good relationship and I get on well with his family and see them a lot.

But I don't know if it's inappropriate for me to go, especially without him? How will I react when they cry? What do I say? Should I go?

Sparkletastic Fri 31-Oct-08 19:41:32

Ask DP to let his family know that he'd like you and your LO to represent him. If they are fine with it then go ahead. It is a sign of respect and if they take it as such then you will be making a worthwhile gesture IMO.

lulumama Fri 31-Oct-08 19:42:57

if you are close to his family and making a life with DP, you should go to represent him

don;t try to plan how you will react, go with the flow and say the right sympathetic things...

take some flowers to the grave perhaps?

cocoleBOO Fri 31-Oct-08 19:43:07

If you're comfortable go, if you get along with his family you shouldn't feel akward (sp). You don't need to say or do anything when they cry. I'm sure they will appreciate you being there.

RagingHormone Fri 31-Oct-08 19:45:39

She also had a baby who is a little bit older than our son so I take our DS to the grave each week and we take some flowers as we go to the cem for a few other people anyway, so why miss her? And I'd like DS to know who she is. So it's not like we've never been.

I've never really been around anything like this before so I'm worried I'll get it all wrong. Lulumama- I will try to go with the flow.

2point4kids Fri 31-Oct-08 19:45:42

You should go if your DP wants you to go. I expect he will tell his familythat you are going and that it is on his request.
You will also have your baby to look after, so wont be twidling your hands awkwardl when the others are upset iyswim.

RagingHormone Fri 31-Oct-08 19:47:23

2point- very good point, I won't be standing looking nervous and playing with my hair or nails if I have te baby to deal with.

Ronaldinhio Fri 31-Oct-08 19:59:30

also i doubt that they will even consider your motives and rather be glad that you are there

yanbu just sensitive (rightly)

RagingHormone Fri 31-Oct-08 20:25:53

Her mum just rang and asked me to go which is nice, so I'm going to go for it. Wish me luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now