Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To take my kids out tonight - not trickle treating, just out?

(25 Posts)
SmugColditz Fri 31-Oct-08 08:23:06

I hate being trickle treated. Hate hate hate. I can't bear being nagged, and this just seems to be legitimised nagging.

So, can I take them out?

saltire Fri 31-Oct-08 08:48:43

I hate it too. I am looking to see what is on at the cinema so I can get out of it!
have sent you a CAT BTW

Hulababy Fri 31-Oct-08 08:50:16

DD is at a Hallowee/birthday party. I don't do trick or treat generally, but don't mind the whole party bit.

orangehead Fri 31-Oct-08 08:50:54

I usually go out too

yarooo Fri 31-Oct-08 08:52:16

trickle treat? eh?

BalloonSlayer Fri 31-Oct-08 08:52:39

I was about to start a thread myself asking "AIBU to refuse to take the DCs trick or treating."

They certainly think I am.

I said a couple of weeks ago that I was not taking them for a number of reasons: hate Halloween, there aren't many householders round here who would welcome tolerate a visit, baby is too young to drag along, etc. There were tears but they accepted it -ish.

This morning they have been making costumes and I have been reluctantly helping. Then I reminded them that we are NOT going out and it's all kicked off again.

I may take them to McD's in costume I suppose. But I feel like the meanest mum ever.

So YANBU in my book.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 31-Oct-08 09:02:05

do you serious need our permission wink.
I just don't open the door - no one comes round anyway so I won't miss someone I want to see.

littlelamb Fri 31-Oct-08 09:09:47

I hate it too. Luckily I think we are the only family on our road with children so it's never been a problem. Might disconnect the dooorbell just to makesure though wink I am taking dd to the Halloween walk around cathedral yard tonight, we go every year and its really good fun (starting at Exeter Cathedral at 7pm if anyone's interested- costumes optional grin)

Bubbaluv Fri 31-Oct-08 09:10:16

Trickle Treat!?? grin That is the cutest malapropism I've heard for a while!

mrsmaidamess Fri 31-Oct-08 09:13:34

My ds calls it trickle treating too.

VictorianSqualor Fri 31-Oct-08 09:18:32

We have a note on our door saying no trickle treating after 6pm because the baby is in bed.

I hate trickle treating and made some half-hearted excuse as to why my children couldn't go with their friend.

VictorianSqualor Fri 31-Oct-08 09:19:28

Anyone who wants the poster print this off

yarooo Fri 31-Oct-08 09:20:30

i have never heard it called trickle treatiung before - why so many on here?

Bubbaluv Fri 31-Oct-08 09:24:21

Do you all SERIOUSLY think it's called Trickle Treating? shock

chequersandchess Fri 31-Oct-08 09:25:22

Our doorbell is broken, we won't hear them anyway grin

VictorianSqualor Fri 31-Oct-08 09:28:58

Yes, we do all think it's called Trickle Treating......
hmm

Bubbaluv Fri 31-Oct-08 09:32:01

It is Trick OR Treating!!!
i.e. You either give a treat or you get a trick played on you. That's the whole point!!
It is a very cute mistake though- am AMAZED it is so prevelant here though!

AbbaFan Fri 31-Oct-08 09:37:54

lol @ trickle treating.

VictorianSqualor Fri 31-Oct-08 09:39:20

Bubbaluv, I was being sarcastic.
Of course we know it's trick or treating. How else would I have found a 'trick or treating' poster?

Bubbaluv Fri 31-Oct-08 09:43:12

Sorry VS, for all I know someone could have sent you the link. You did type Trickle! smile I just think it sounds so much nicer too!

Pixel Fri 31-Oct-08 17:44:30

I don't let mine go trick or treating either which dd thinks is very unfair because all her friends are going. Our local cat welfare place is doing an 'event' though so dcs are getting dressed up and then we are walking down there to donate some food to the moggies. Not wildly exciting I don't suppose but they get to go for a creepy walk in the dark - very very dark as it happens as we've had no street lights for the past week.

elkiedee Fri 31-Oct-08 17:46:43

Colditz, hope you have/had a good evening out.

SmugColditz Fri 31-Oct-08 19:26:56

You know what we did?

We went to the pub. And they were (by chance) having achildren's halloween party, with sandwiches and sweets, and my children have had a lovely time. Ds2 is now in bed. Ds1 is nearly there, and I only bought myself drink. Cheap nightout!

Ds1 was distraught at no Trickle Treating (yes I do know that's not the real words) so I let them dress up, painted their faces as tigers, and took them out.

SmugColditz Fri 31-Oct-08 19:28:41

And Thank you Elkiedee - I am supposed to be taking a friend to the party but (and this sums her up really envy) she sent ,me a text saying "Will pop in at midnight but can't drink as am on a plane at four am - climbing in spain!"

elkiedee Fri 31-Oct-08 21:45:22

Great stuff! Sounds unusual for a pub.

We went to buy "treats" at Tesco, met out first trick or treaters on the doorstep on the way in just after 7 pm, 2nd bunch at 9.15 pm. Am hoping there aren't more though, it seems a bit late for the young ones and I don't want them to wake ds.

Maybe I'll get to scoff the rest of the fun size Mars and Twix bars, she says hopefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now