Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off with people using parent and baby parking when got no kids

(54 Posts)
Wigglesworth Thu 30-Oct-08 14:38:41

This really winds me up. I was at Tesco this morning with 14 week old DS and couldn't find any parent and baby spaces free so had to park in normal bay. I noticed a white works van, a ford street ka (2 seater with no child car seat in it) parked in P and B spots. I had to lock the car and rush round trying to find a trolley with car seat stand on it and then wheel back to the car at the back of the car park.
When I was coming out after shopping I saw a stupid old fart pulling out of a P and B space in their shitty old micra with shock horror no child in the car. I also saw a woman and her daughter who must have been at least 10 yrs old pulling into one of those spaces. They could have easily parked in one of the normal spaces, they were slightly obese, the walk would have done them good. Inconsiderate wankers.

naturalblonde Thu 30-Oct-08 14:41:11

Popcorn anyone?

Dragonbutter Thu 30-Oct-08 14:42:41

so when you were in tesco's your car had no car seat in it either!!!!!!!!!!!!!
surprised you didn't get your car keyed.

Theladyevenstar Thu 30-Oct-08 14:44:05

Wiggles, if the woman had a child with her then she was within her rights to park there. You can't always tell the age of a child by their size.

kormAaaarrrggghhhchameleon Thu 30-Oct-08 14:44:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hercules1 Thu 30-Oct-08 14:45:53

I really think people need to take a chill pill about these car spaces.

Theladyevenstar Thu 30-Oct-08 14:49:56

\Like i said on another thread earlier today what the hell did drivers who were mums do when they shopped at supermarkets and there were NO p&t bays?????? did everyone starve?

Wigglesworth Thu 30-Oct-08 14:50:59

Dragon butter, I had a car seat base in my car and I have baby on board sticker etc. The street ka had no seat, no base no sticker. I guess I am alone on this one then eh!

misdee Thu 30-Oct-08 14:52:41

didnt we do this yesterday?

Theladyevenstar Thu 30-Oct-08 14:52:53

you know having a baby doesn't mean you forget how to walk across a car park. If you are that worried shop online or use a baby carrier there are plenty about.

Wigglesworth Thu 30-Oct-08 14:52:57

Forget I mentioned it, probs having a bad day.

trixiethepixie Thu 30-Oct-08 14:53:02

Here we go again...

Dragonbutter Thu 30-Oct-08 14:54:23

oh you had a sticker!
i do apologise.

Wigglesworth Thu 30-Oct-08 14:54:45

The lack of spaces and walking further doesn't bother me, it's people being rude and inconsiderate in parking there when they clearly have no reason too.

hambo Thu 30-Oct-08 15:00:28

It is pretty hard shopping with a 14 week old baby (or any baby) and it does make it easier if you can park nearby, I think. I do get annoyed by people who park in the M&B spaces without a baby.

My wee guy is nearly two and shopping is much easier now so I am happy to park anywhere, but when he was tiny it was SO GOOD to have a space near the door.

BouncingTurtleSkulls Thu 30-Oct-08 15:00:37

If you'd walked past my car, you wouldn't know I had a baby - no baby on board stickers, no fluffy toys on the parcel shelf etc., and the car seat base is on the front seat, and is not easily visable unless you peer in.

I do understand where you are coming from, but as has been pointed out ad infinitum, M&B spaces are a priviledge not a right.

I generally park on the end of a row so that there won't be anyone parked next to my passanger side.

Sparkletastic Thu 30-Oct-08 15:02:00

.....................................tumbleweed......................

grin

misdee Thu 30-Oct-08 15:04:54

how is it hard to shop with a young baby? ui really dont get that?

its hard shopping with an 8yr old who asks 'can i have this, i want that' or a 6yr old who wanders off in a daze.

or dh who is drawn to the cd and dvd section by a magnetic force.

Wigglesworth Thu 30-Oct-08 15:06:39

Ok, Ok the ford ka may have a slight chance of belonging to a parent with a child. It's just irritating that's all, I know I am not queen of the world and the spaces are not a right, I just find it rude. I wouldn't have done this when I didn't have a baby.

RagingHormone Thu 30-Oct-08 15:07:01

I don't think she's on about whether or not people have car seats or stickers, I think she just means some people are rude and don't consider other people. I find it tends to be old men on their own who park in P&B spaces if it's going to be anyone without a child. And it is rude and self centred.

It's not really something I get worked up over though in all honesty. Now people who don't hold a door open for me when I have a buggy, that irritates me because it's extra specially rude.

Think people are playing devils advocate a bit on this subject in general on MN.

But overall, more annoying things happen on a day to day basis.

Dragonbutter Thu 30-Oct-08 15:09:18

yes PMT spaces would be more useful, with a direct route to the chocolate and wine aisles.

wigglesworth, this is a topic which comes up very very regularly. opinion is mixed, and always will be. personally i'm tired of the topic. if you're having a bad day, try not to let the little things get to you.
hope you're ok.

Wigglesworth Thu 30-Oct-08 15:09:23

Thankyou raging hormone, you get what I am on about, it's just plain ignorant.

wheresthehamster Thu 30-Oct-08 15:09:56

Yeah - I think these places are more trouble than they're worth. Everyone gets so het up.

If parents still want to retain them, suggest to the store they are moved far away from the entrance (but still next to the store - I know how parents like the security of the pavement), then they will be less mis-used. All the baby-type trolleys can be parked nearby. No problem.

Wigglesworth Thu 30-Oct-08 15:11:10

No worries dragon butter, didn't know people were always on about it. I like your chocs and wine aisle idea....if carlsberg made supermarkets mmmmm.

DustyTv Thu 30-Oct-08 15:11:14

lol misdee my DH is the same, everytime we go he always has to go the the DVD and CD section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now