Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to send rude message to people in racist groups on facebook

(15 Posts)
rightorwrong Wed 29-Oct-08 20:15:21

Since the racist group fiasco of the other day I have been getting increasingly upset with the number of Racist groups on facebook. Unfortuately there are a few.

At first I contacted Facebook numerous times to report the groups (as have 100's of others)

I then contacted 7 schools with pupils who have joined these groups.And gave the names of these kids.

As well as the MOD to report people who pertain to be in the forces who are in these groups.

and the Hate Crime unit

then last night I got a bit narked with the lack of response of the schools/MOD/facebook and set up a 'fake' facebook person and sent rude messages to some people on these groups. I only sent a few, to older members. I wasn't threatening but said things like,

'Racist pathetic twat' and 'learn your history you ignorant racist' (to a group called

'Get P*cki scum off our streets. Our Grandfathers died for this country' hmm

I am hiding behind a name on here and on facebook, aibu as I am a scaredycat (two groups are from my area).

It probably is a complete waste of time, I'm not exactly sending enlightened messages, they won't go... ohhh she's right you know I better not be racist any more, and I know two wrongs don't make a right but at the time it made me feel just a little bit better.

MN give it to me straight AIBU?

feelingbitbetter Wed 29-Oct-08 20:19:57

Well done you! YANBU. You're right, probably futile, but never mind. It made you feel better.

llareggub Wed 29-Oct-08 20:21:10

Yes. YABU.

You are sinking to their level and is some twisted way they will probably get a kick out of it.

Can't you stick to reporting them? That's admirable, I think.

littleducks Wed 29-Oct-08 20:21:52

not sure if you are stooping to their level or not tbh (sorry) do you think they care?

what did the schools say, i am very interested inthat

luckylady74 Wed 29-Oct-08 20:24:01

NYANBU
overload their message box.
link to factual sites that tell the truth about who died for this country.
name calling isn't sinking to their level - it would take a lot more work to sink to their level.

llareggub Wed 29-Oct-08 20:31:36

Yes, but you can hardly claim the moral high ground by sending abusive messages, can you?

I suggest you channel your energies into something more productive, like joining an anti-racism group. You obviously care passionately about eliminating discrimination.

rightorwrong Wed 29-Oct-08 20:34:07

Littleducks- So far only one school has got back to me and the headteacher

'Thank you for this information. We a re currently on half term but I shall
be contacting the parents of all pupils concerned and alerting them to this
racist material and insisting that it it is removed immediately as it
implicates the school in racist materials.

Once again thank you for bringing this to my attention

Regards'

to which I replied

'Thank you for your prompt reply, especially during half-term. The group was shut
down by Facebook but has been re-opened by the 'commander', so may be
re-activated regularly.'

There is a possibility that other pupils are on the group but have not put their
names down on their profile.
I would suggest that you contact the Hate-crime unit and see if they offer or
know of any anti-racist educational packages as unfortuately Stockport does
seem to have a problem with Racism. Having lived many years in Levenshulme (on
the edge of Stockport)I have witnessed incidents myself. You are in a position
to help educate children to be more tolerate.'

SmallShips Wed 29-Oct-08 20:37:13

These morons will be enjoying the attention.

Start a anti moron group or something. Don't start fighting with them.

I read the messages on the wall of that group that kicked all this off and REALLY wanted to say something, but just reported it instead and recruited my friends to the "get offensive and racist groups off facebook".

rightorwrong Wed 29-Oct-08 20:37:56

llagrebub - you are probably right, they obviously want to rile people.

grristle Wed 29-Oct-08 20:59:11

YANBU I rang the council about the one in stockport.

It's awful the way they dont give a toss who sees them.

noonki Wed 29-Oct-08 21:05:32

YANBU - that whole thing upset me too - though I bet someone on here can come up with something better to say.

rightorwrong Wed 29-Oct-08 21:07:43

Well I still can't decide.

felt good doing the forces though!

Rindercella Wed 29-Oct-08 22:06:32

YANBU. I think your actions are admirable, especially reporting individuals to the relevant authorities. I am not sure if calling them racist pathetic twats will make a difference, but I bet it makes you feel better (it does me).

It actually horrifies me that there are still people out there with these attitudes.

ewwwmy2shoesarefullofblood Wed 29-Oct-08 22:21:59

yabu because you are stooping to their level

pingping Thu 30-Oct-08 11:55:28

RightorWrong yanbu but be careful because you too will be reported and if you use threats Facebook can actually locate you and where the computer is logged in regardless of the fake page.
It is pointless through as there are 1000's of racist groups peodo groups and general disgusting groups on Facebook.

An Alex hate group from BB turned into a racial hate group with over 6000 memebers eventually we managed to take over the admin and control and block the racists but that didn't stop them joining as different people and being very racist towards Alex and black people on the group. My friends little daughter who is mixed race recieved numerous messages calling her a N#gger etc it was horrible she ended up leaving FB because of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now