Talk

Advanced search

to perform mouth-to-mouth-feeding in the early stages of weaning...?

(64 Posts)
nybom Tue 28-Oct-08 11:04:13

just feels natural... apparently kissing is a relict of mouth-to-mouth feeding, and many remote cultures/tribes/peoples still do it. i did it with DS1 who's now 4 and i've just started weaning DS2 (5 months) on (chewed) bananas. also BF DS1 until he was 3 (but that's another topic altogether), and he's never had stomach bug/ear infection/flue in his life. he's also very independent and confident, so i don't see any harm. but i do appreciate it might seem odd to others, or doesn't it...? blush

themildmanneredaxemurderer Tue 28-Oct-08 11:05:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cafebistro Tue 28-Oct-08 11:06:26

Mmmm I think Id stick to pureeing/mashing and finger food

doggiesayswoof Tue 28-Oct-08 11:07:32

Probably wouldn't do it myself.

But I think it's common, especially with blw if you need to get the food to the right texture.

Go for it and be ready for some funny looks

mrsmaidamess Tue 28-Oct-08 11:07:37

Not sure how you'd manage this in the cafe in Debenhams.

Upwind Tue 28-Oct-08 11:07:47

Interesting - I don't see any harm and am wondering if there might be some benefits...

ElviraInanEcup Tue 28-Oct-08 11:08:11

Message withdrawn

jeee Tue 28-Oct-08 11:08:45

Aren't there all sorts of nasties in your mouth... you know, the human bite is more poisonous than a snake bite, that kind of thing?

geekgirl Tue 28-Oct-08 11:09:13

supposedly you can transmit tooth decay by sharing cutlery and sucking dummies 'clean', I guess this isn't any more hygienichmm.

I find the idea gross too, even though I've always sucked snot from my babies' noses etc. Bu hey, whatever works for you.smile

BalloonSlayer Tue 28-Oct-08 11:10:17

Are you my mother?

She is always telling us about "what gorillas do in the wild" or what cavemen used to do, and applying it to our relationship with our babies.

Mouth to mouth feeding is one of her special lectures.

Must go before DS2 loses his grip on my armpit hair

mrsmaidamess Tue 28-Oct-08 11:10:19

Hang on, rewind...

You sucked the snot from your babys nose?

Do you eat his bogeys now? grin

ElviraInanEcup Tue 28-Oct-08 11:11:34

Message withdrawn

BalloonSlayer Tue 28-Oct-08 11:11:46

Why do you need to chew bananas first?

Don't they turn to slop with one blow of the fork?

geekgirl Tue 28-Oct-08 11:12:18

uhm no I'd spit it out into a tissue. And once they weren't little babies anymore I just let them get on with their snottiness.grin

mrsmaidamess Tue 28-Oct-08 11:13:34

I used to bite my babys finger nails. But thats not quite the same. I LONG to squeeze my dd's spots...but she won't let me. Its all primitive forms of grooming eh?

Doesn't help OP with her regurgitation dilemma however.

BalloonSlayer Tue 28-Oct-08 11:13:49

I have heard of the snot thing too.

I was told by a parent who did it that if your child was struggling to breathe you'd do it happily.

I believe this, although I have just heaved while typing.

pinkspottywellies Tue 28-Oct-08 11:14:27

I saw someone do the snot sucking thing on a train once and spit it out the window!

mrsmaidamess Tue 28-Oct-08 11:15:05

Yes, I'm sure if my child had a mouth full of sick I would not hesitate to perform mouth to mouth on them. But give them my chewed up food? Nah.

ElviraInanEcup Tue 28-Oct-08 11:16:26

Message withdrawn

LaMonsterWeaselwolf Tue 28-Oct-08 11:17:38

Well, I would find it a bit odd, and it's not something I'd do myself. But hey, if it works.

mrsmaidamess Tue 28-Oct-08 11:18:50

I think balloonslayer is busy peeling banans with her big toes

nybom Tue 28-Oct-08 11:19:36

i DON'T do it in public,grin i haven't even told/done it in front of my friends...

i also wonder if it might have some benefits: like extra enzymes (after all babies' digestive systmes take a while to develop) or some immune boosting stuff (like breastmilk does). and come to think of it, 30 years ago BF was not really en vogues was it? (i'm NOT suggesting everybody feeds-mouth-to-mouth, the comparison just sprang to my mind...)

baffledandupset Tue 28-Oct-08 11:20:32

I also sucked snot out of my baby's noses.

Apparently this is the norm in many parts of the world.

And yes - I stopped once they weren't little babies!

Can't see it's any more disgusting than having the man you love come in your mouth (or should that be 'cum' grin).

Can't see the problem with kiss feeding, unless you have gingivitis or heliobacter......

mrsmaidamess Tue 28-Oct-08 11:21:10

Don't even get me started on come in the mouth.

jeee Tue 28-Oct-08 11:21:18

Can I just ask why everyone seems to think that BF was not supported in the 70s. My mum BF all 3 of us, as she was heavily advised to by GP, midwives and HVs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now