Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to tell neighbours children to get their own ingredients?

(24 Posts)
Ripeberry Mon 27-Oct-08 13:01:28

Was just making my DDs lunches, when a couple of girls from down the road came to the door.
They are from two famillies. The conversation went like this "Oh hi, do you have some caster sugar"? said one girl, i replied "No, i've only got granulated", then the other pipes up "Do you have some cupcakes"?, me "NO, you had all of my last ones a couple of months back", then the same girl says "Can we have the bag of sugar then please?".
Sorry but at that point i lost it a bit and just said "It's not late at night, your mum was down the shops yesterday, you are telling me that between your two famillies you can't even get sugar?" then i just told them to go away and ask somebody else.
They are always over here, asking for loads of things, don't mind giving things if it's late in the evening BUT not when there's a shop 5 mins down the road!
And i was really peeved with the second girl as she spends most of her time being cheeky to me anyway and then has the gall to even come to my doorstep.
Sorry about the rant, but they are such freeloaders its umbelievable.

Ripeberry Mon 27-Oct-08 13:02:28

Unbelievable even!

TheHerdNerd Mon 27-Oct-08 13:02:40

Sounds bloody annoying.

Ripeberry Mon 27-Oct-08 13:04:43

I'm usually quite a nice person and i'm even becoming a childminder soon. But these two always seem to get REALLY annoying when its my time of the month! Just coincidence maybe?

TheWomanWhoAteTraffic Mon 27-Oct-08 13:06:20

Maybe they have the money from their mum who sent them to the shop but they'd rather spend iton sweets?

MadamDeathstare Mon 27-Oct-08 13:12:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScareyBitchFeast Mon 27-Oct-08 13:16:38

i had a neighbour who would send her daughter's round constantly, asking for an onion, a bit of squash. even her dh at one point, asking for milk!
ok - we werent close to the shops.
but yanbu imo

Liffey Mon 27-Oct-08 13:19:29

That's mad! Nobody's ever asked me for anything, and we're not near the shops either.

The only people who go around asking for things are 'Itinerants'. Settled people wouldn't dream of it!!

CharleeInChains Mon 27-Oct-08 13:20:47

Sounds annoying, i don't think your unreasonable.

I used to have one family who would send there daughter over about once a day asking for some sugar/tea/milk/bread/money! shock Its gets anooying very quickly.

AMumInScotland Mon 27-Oct-08 13:21:13

If there's a shop 5 minutes down the road, and they are not forbidden from going that far by anxious parents, then they should be going to the shop for ingredients instead of coming to you. Just say no, consistently.

CharleeInChains Mon 27-Oct-08 13:23:59

I wouldn't even say 'no i haven't got this but i have this instead' i would just say 'no sorry i haven't any spare' and leave it at that.

MadamDeathstare Mon 27-Oct-08 20:46:57

Ripeberry Mon 27-Oct-08 22:47:16

Madam, that is a classic! Knowing my luck they'll decide to give me flour, eggs all down my door on Friday night. Pity i can't make that much of a mess with sugar! grin

pastapestoandPUMPKINGUTSfor6 Mon 27-Oct-08 23:03:05

I once had to borrow a fiver off my neighbour I was mortified [first time in 2 years ] so much so that when I gave it back i got her a bottle of wine and a box of posh biscuits as a thanks
YANBU though that must be annoying

nappyaddict Mon 27-Oct-08 23:06:35

i'm always borrowing sugar, eggs, cake tins from my neighbour blush

onthewarpath Tue 28-Oct-08 08:43:33

I might have missesd it but how old are these girls? Maybe a word with their parents? If parents are the ones sending them it would be unfair to get ennoyed with girls.., Just a thoughhmm

onthewarpath Tue 28-Oct-08 08:44:38

I might have missesd it but how old are these girls? Maybe a word with their parents? If parents are the ones sending them it would be unfair to get ennoyed with girls.., Just a thoughthmm

dilemma456 Tue 28-Oct-08 09:03:08

Message withdrawn

Lauriefairycake Tue 28-Oct-08 09:05:57

god, I wonder if I look really scary, no one's ever asked me for anything hmm

onthewarpath Tue 28-Oct-08 09:19:51

Wow dilemme456. Good to see that you do not consider asking neighbours for too much(only milk, tin foil, bin bags, take away menus and cooking ingredientsgrin)
Maybe the girls parents did spill the sugar while trying to help their daughter baking cakes...hmm!
Seriously, unless I have run short of it myself I would always give to a neighbour who needs it and I am pretty confident that they would do it for me too. Maybe I live in a extreamly nice neighbourhood. I think life is nicer when people are there for each other for small things and bigger things.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Tue 28-Oct-08 09:32:18

I have had this, and the occasional time is fine, but every week.......argh!

we do however have one lad (I say lad, he i now in his early 20's, so old enough I feel to cope alone), who is round here almost daily asking favours of DH. Even DH is getting riled, but we both continue doing it as the lad in question has come from not greats parents, and we think he has made DH into a knd of surrigat (sp??) father.

It did take the piss tho when he borrowed his car, and then didn;t return it for 2 wks as could not afford to put petrol in it to drive it back to us. He even stopped answering his phone[hanry].

and still my DH helps him when he can.

hey ho......

sorry, that turned into my rant thereblush.

YANBU

Ripeberry Tue 28-Oct-08 11:07:14

The girls were 13yrs old and 9yrs old. I'm usually OK about lending them things, but that one girl just can't ask nicely (older one). If it was two of the younger kids i would have lent some sugar.

onthewarpath Tue 28-Oct-08 13:02:28

Maybe you should have a word with 13yrs old one then. If she is not polite she needs to be put back to her place, especially if asking for favours. Is the mother someone you know and get on well with? something mignt be worth trying on this front too.

MadamDeathstare Tue 28-Oct-08 18:05:06

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now