Talk

Advanced search

to want & expect the family downstairs to be re-housed?

(16 Posts)
flamingnora Mon 27-Oct-08 12:33:29

We will have lived in my one bed flat in London (my 1st purchase) for 3 yars in Feb (when I will be moving by hook or by crook as we now have a baby & there's only so much I can take in the name of financial prudence!). The family below are council tenants and a total nightmare. They were a family of 3 when I 1st moved in and soon after became a family of 4. They are loud in the extreme and have a constant flow of loud visitors BUT the real problem is the mouse infestation they have which I alerted the council to well over a year ago and is now of biblical proportions. This is directly caused by the over-crowding (and, let's face it, awful hygeine downstairs - food left lying around etc). I have had to call environmental health out last week as the smell of decomposing mouse corpses in my flat is utterly stomach churning. I have written to the council to ask that, as the flat is statutorily overcrowded, this family are re-housed & they have just shrugged their shoulders & said that the family has the right to seek a transfer (which they won't do - they don't want to pay any more money for a bigger place). I can't believe we are having to live above a public health hazard, that i am going to have to spend money I don't have in sealing off my whole flat to ensure mice can't get in and that the family that cause all the misery get to live exactly as they want. I am so upset & angry. If anyone can talk me down from off the ledge that would be wonderful!

lazarou Mon 27-Oct-08 12:36:14

So, you will be selling up come feb? IS that because of some clause that means you have to surrender your soul to the mortgage company if you sell within 3 years? That's the deal we had with our flat.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Oct-08 12:37:27

the council will never move them if they don't request it.

AND, even if they did, in London, they're in for a long wait, maybe even forever.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Oct-08 12:37:28

the council will never move them if they don't request it.

AND, even if they did, in London, they're in for a long wait, maybe even forever.

spookycharlotte121 Mon 27-Oct-08 12:38:36

is theirs a 1 bed flat too? I thought the council had to provide adiquate roooms etc?

expatinscotland Mon 27-Oct-08 12:39:47

'I thought the council had to provide adiquate roooms etc?'

In theory..

In most councils, it's impossible because they simply don't have the housing stock available for everyone who is overcrowded.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Oct-08 12:39:48

'I thought the council had to provide adiquate roooms etc?'

In theory..

In most councils, it's impossible because they simply don't have the housing stock available for everyone who is overcrowded.

expatinscotland Mon 27-Oct-08 12:40:16

sorry for double posts. this site's messing with my browser.

HellboundNinkynork Mon 27-Oct-08 12:47:14

Someone on my old AN group, (not MN) has FOUR children in a 2-bed London flat. She gambled on getting an offer with each child she produced. It still hasn't happened and the kids are really suffering.

mumoverseas Mon 27-Oct-08 12:56:04

sounds a horrible situation flamingnora but just a word of warning. I'm pretty sure that when you sell a property now you have to disclose any disputes/problems you may have with neighbours so even thought it sounds terrible, it might be best not to rock the boat too much if you are planning on selling very soon.

flamingnora Mon 27-Oct-08 13:05:37

Thanks mumoverseas - although that has made me feel truly sick! If I hadn't contacted the council about the mice the neighbours wouldn't have done so and then I absolutely dread to think of where we'd be!
They are in a one bed flat and the council does not even seem to think that is a problem in itself! Oh god, I feel like if I don't get rid of this smell (and problem) I won't even be able to rent this place out - let alone sell it! And lazarou, I do have a redemption penalty to pay if I sell before Feb - though I would be lucky to do that wouldn't I?! Oh lord - could it get any worse?!

kitbit Mon 27-Oct-08 13:11:25

Can you escalate it within environmental health through the mouse problem? are any of the agencies involved doing anything criminally wrong or neglectful that mean you could involve the police to hurry things up? What about Citizens Advice?

lazarou Mon 27-Oct-08 13:11:44

I agree with mumoverseas, keep your head down, wait til feb and stick it on market. How about those housebuying people who guarantee to buy your home? I know they take a big lump sum but only you could say if your financial situation could allow you to take that risk.

mumoverseas Mon 27-Oct-08 13:13:07

sorry flamingnora, didn't mean to worry you but maybe you should check it out. I've owned the same house for 15 years and have never sold but pretty sure that in all the piles of paperwork you have to fill in there is something about neighbour disputes. Maybe post on legal to double check this? Get loads of plug in airfresheners and do loads of baking when you have viewings! Hopefully that will disguise the smell!

expatinscotland Mon 27-Oct-08 13:20:35

'They are in a one bed flat and the council does not even seem to think that is a problem in itself!'

They wouldn't.

Many councils consider teh living room as suitable sleeping space.

Plenty of families with 4 or even more kids in 2-bed flats and families of 4 or more in 1-bed flats.

There's a lack of suitable stock for families.

flamingnora Mon 27-Oct-08 13:31:54

will get on to the legal thread for some damage limitation! This is going to take a serious amount of baking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now