Talk

Advanced search

to be enraged that DH has put all my herbs and spices in beautiful little glass jars but hasn't labelled them?

(14 Posts)
MamaG Mon 27-Oct-08 11:30:02

He raised an eyebrow and said "just smell them" when I raged that I didn't know what anything was.

He was a Head Chef for years

I have a terrible sense of smell

I put dill in spag bol the toher night <cries>

MamaG Mon 27-Oct-08 11:30:43

AND I need to use nutmeg in a recipe today

I don't know which is hte nutmeg

i have 4 orangey coloured jars angry

Lauriefairycake Mon 27-Oct-08 11:32:13

dab finger in it - nutmeg tastes all spicy, nothing like turmeric or any of the others which may be orange - and it will be slightly brown

Couldn't you just stick a finger in and taste them? But YANBU pretty silly thing to do.

pingping Mon 27-Oct-08 11:32:53

Can u not just taste it? YANBU that is very annoying

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Mon 27-Oct-08 11:34:14

if he was head chef, then surely he knows what each one is, and can therefore label them up for you.

and in the meantime, stamp on his toes for being a dick!!!

wink

MamaG Mon 27-Oct-08 11:34:46

<sniff>
OK I'll taste it. Ialso have ginger, but I'll know that taste won't I?!

RustyDaviesBear Mon 27-Oct-08 11:36:46

I have my herbs in glass jars - no labels, but I write the name on the bottom of the jar & then keep them in alphabetical order - you soon get used to where they are, so you don't have to keep lifting them up to see the bottom of the jar.

If he doesn't want to spoil the look of his pretty glass jars, get him to identify them for you & write on the bottom with CD pen or tippex pen.

meglet Mon 27-Oct-08 11:39:10

YANBU. He needs to start labelling them pronto.

Smelling them isn't much good if you have a cold.

MamaG Mon 27-Oct-08 11:40:29

oh yes thats a good idea rusty, I'll get him onto it tonight

thumblesswitch Mon 27-Oct-08 11:41:22

YANBU, that is such a gittish thing to do and so superior - he needs a swift kick up the arse to label them all and stop being a nob.

SolosWhompingWillow Mon 27-Oct-08 11:42:31

Get him to check and label them!

Heifer Mon 27-Oct-08 12:37:40

well, if it smells like nutmegs, tis negmeg, if it smells like ginger tis ginger...

now if you grew your own herbs in the garden you would know what they were! (assuming you can tell a mint plant from a bay tree)... grin

Now p*sstaking aside, get him to label them or he could end up having to eat some very interesting meals.... grin

hope you are feeling good by the way, resting and all that?

MamaG Mon 27-Oct-08 15:34:36

I'm not 100% of smell/taste of nutmeg grin

Will make him dig it out tonight and label em all

Feeling fine heif, posted book to you today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now