Talk

Advanced search

to have had a row with my sister over her dog!!

(14 Posts)
macdoodle Sun 26-Oct-08 19:45:14

My sister and her husband were staying for the weekend (they live about 3 hrs away)....and for some reason brought their dog (now they dont usually they have excellent neighbours who usually feed and walk her) - they came late Fri night and left sun after lunch!
Despite knowing that I am not a dog person, I have a crawling baby, and their dog chews things, barks, moults and is generally a pain in the arse
Anyway I have been restrained all weekend while their dog ate my cats food, chased my poor cat away, pooed in my garden, put dogs hair EVERYWHERE....until after slaving to make a lovely cooked dinner, we are all sat eating and the dog shoves it nose right onto the table between my plate and BIL's, so as he was doing nothing, I shoved its nose away with my elbow....and my sister loses it slams her hand on the table and tells/shouts at me not to hit her dog hmm and I would be cross if she kicked or elbowed my DD1 (who is 7) shock....
Well (a) I did not kick or elbow it - I pushed its nose away from my plate (b) a dog is not the same as a child (c) I think it is incredibly rude and unhygienic to have an animal at the table.....and we ended up having a real ding dong and everone eating the rest of their meal in stony silence
Now actually my sister and I are very close, we get on exceptionally well, and rarely fall out, they have gone home and she has sent me a curt text saying they are home.....so AIBU, should I apologise or was she????

ilove Sun 26-Oct-08 19:47:35

I cannot stand badly behaved dog owners...my inlaws are just like that with their dog and I no longer care what they think, when it is here it lives by my rules not theirs. YANBU, SHE is!

twinsetandpearls Sun 26-Oct-08 19:48:45

I love my dog but only take him anywhere if I clear it first. I would also not take him anywhere where there was a crawling baby or someone who does not like dogs.

I would also not compare a child to a dog. Does she have children?

But as you are close I would phone her and say sorry and hope she says the same,

cheshirekitty Sun 26-Oct-08 19:50:08

Your house, your rules. I would never have taken my dog to someones house without asking first.

Dog should have been put in the garden whilst you had your lunch.

YANBU. But do not hold a grudge and let bygones be bygones. Your relationship with your sister is more important than this argument.

twinsetandpearls Sun 26-Oct-08 19:52:59

Yes you could have eaten your lunch knowing he was digging up your lawn and shitting in your borders. grin

macdoodle Sun 26-Oct-08 19:54:21

Would never hold a grudge I love my sister and BIL
But was already annoyed there is hair everwhere, had to keep taking baby out of the way...and they wouldnt put dog in garden hmm
Just do not feel like apologising as am still cleaning house and children...she knows I dont like her dog - last time she brought it, it was menstrauting, bled everywhere, baby was 9 weeks and the day they left she ended up in hospital in intensive care with septicaemia , now I dont KNOW it was the dog but was very suspicious and she knows I feel that way

twinsetandpearls Sun 26-Oct-08 19:56:00

Well don;t apologise then but phone and say it would be daft to fall out over a dog and make arrangements to meet again, without the dog.

lazarou Sun 26-Oct-08 19:56:55

Dogs have periods?!

macdoodle Sun 26-Oct-08 19:57:38

LOL she is a bitch grin

lazarou Sun 26-Oct-08 19:58:23

What, your sister?!

alphabetsoup Sun 26-Oct-08 19:58:26

You must be at the end of your tether; maybe wait a day or two before contacting her. I'd be really pissed off if i were you.

OLIVIASMAMA Sun 26-Oct-08 20:00:36

Nah - I love my dog but I love my dinner more smileand weekends away without my very much loved dog. Nothing worse than over sensitive dog owners, but don't let it come between you.

LOL by the way at TS&P

ilovemyflipflops Sun 26-Oct-08 20:09:10

YANBU, i think she should have had the decency to ask you if she could bring the dog in the first place. I would have pushed the dogs nose away from my plate too i think it's rude an hygenic to have them at the table too (and i have a dog) She is ridiculous comparing what you did to her elbowing your dd.. your sister is being totally selfish and thoughtless to your family. She should apologise to you imo.

twinsetandpearls Sun 26-Oct-08 20:13:36

I agree about not allowing dogs at the table, most disgusting. She should apologise but I am soft so in your place I would phone and make the first move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now