Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to want my 1 year old to sit on my lap just once!!!

(11 Posts)
goldilocksandmylittlebear Sun 26-Oct-08 19:39:12

I feel horrible moaning about my 1 year old, he is so lovely but his figiting is driving me MAD!! He gets so upset if he can't go off and crawl in the middle of a shop for example. He hates sitting on my lap, unless its to read the same book over and over again and this week he has refused to eat ANYTHING other than bread!

How come he is in charge! Will I ever be able to play with him on my lap???

Please tell me the bread thing is a stage? He goes soooooo mad I give in and get him some as I think its teething but my husband thinks we will end up on TV with a child who only eats bread!

PhantomOfTheChocolateCake Sun 26-Oct-08 19:40:52

Sorry. YABU. They are all like this. There's too much for them to explore. They only tend to sit still if they want something or are ill. It does get better though.

Sycupatree Sun 26-Oct-08 19:42:04

I don't know about the bread, but I can say he sounds like a typical 1 year old. My DS is definitely more inclined to sit on my lap than my DD ever was, but on the whole, I can only bribe him to sit still if I'm constantly pushing some morsel of food repeatedly into his mouth!

FeelingLucky Sun 26-Oct-08 19:47:48

YABU
He probably needs all the energy he's getting from his high carb diet to fidget grin

And wouldn't you prefer a DC who was curious and wanted to explore the world than one who was placid and boring?

nickytwoooohtimes Sun 26-Oct-08 19:49:56

Tis normal and desirable to have a curious, active baby.

I agree though - it would be so nice to get a lovely cuddle!
Take heart though, ds is 2.3 now and will have a wee snuggle for 5 minutes or so.

goldilocksandmylittlebear Sun 26-Oct-08 19:51:18

Thanks chocolatecake and sycupatree, I'll rule out flights for a while!

I thought the whole bread thing was about wanting to feed himself all the time but even with finger foods he throws the lot on the floor cries so much he goes red, then stops when the bread arrives! Its only been like this for a week or so, I hope its just a phase! I think the stage between finger feeding and getting the hang of a spoon is going to be hard work. hmm

goldilocksandmylittlebear Sun 26-Oct-08 19:53:33

"And wouldn't you prefer a DC who was curious and wanted to explore the world than one who was placid and boring? "

sometimes!!!

Thanks nicky, I have insisted on the final feed as he falls asleep and I get a long cuddle!!

Sycupatree Sun 26-Oct-08 19:57:54

Is he teething? My DS, who normally eats brilliantly - whatever I put in front of him, will like nothing better than to suck on a cream cheese sandwich when he's teeth are giving him grief.

But he will sit on my knee for a nice long snuggle when In The Night Garden or Teletubbies are on! You need to employ judicious use of Cbeebies or Nick Jr!

Can I just point out that I am normally sycamoretree - this is my rank Halloween name. grin

goldilocksandmylittlebear Sun 26-Oct-08 20:01:07

Liking the rank Halloween name!

I think your right, he has eaten well, not stayed still to eat it mind you, but eaten most of what's in front of him up till now.

How do you get them eating from a spoon? I have one and he does, but soon enough he feeds himself with his hand!

Sycupatree Sun 26-Oct-08 20:10:08

I'm still spoon feeding DS on stuff like sheps pie, spaghetti etc, he feeds himself by hand if it's more dry food like chopped up pots, broccoli, sausage etc.

There's no way he could actually feed himself successfully with a spoon yet - I think DD was probably around this age when she mastered this (but can't swear to it - it's my vague memory)but she pretty much did everything quicker, crawling, walking, talking, drinking from sippy cup etc.

I let him wave a spoon around at most meals, and he has a go at sticking it in the bowl so sometimes gets a lick or taste of something off his own spoon, but nothing substantial. He often sticks the wrong bloody end of it in grin

I reckon it'll be a while before he masters it, but the more they can wave one around, the more they can practice.

MrsMattie Sun 26-Oct-08 20:12:54

Loads of babies are like this. My son (now almost 4 yrs old) never, ever had a stage where he liked sitting on my lap. He went straight from being one f those newborns who has to be carried around/jiggled all the time, to being an exceptionally early crawler who wanted to explore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now