Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect some rest when I am ill?

(56 Posts)
InNeedOfSleep Sun 26-Oct-08 15:31:01

This is not an attack on my partner (who is working today) or small child (who is pretty much always high as a kite) but it's one of the hardest things about being a parent. I feel deathly and just want to sleep. But can't. And don't want to be ill for whole half term!

Twiga Sun 26-Oct-08 15:35:23

[hugs] and much sympathy. You're right about it being one of the toughest things as a parent, never off duty unfortunately. Hold onto the fact it's not long til four/five which if bedtime is anything like it is in our house, you'll soon be on the final two hour count down through tea, bathtime etc. Get well soon x

Twiga Sun 26-Oct-08 15:36:35

blush didn't mean to make a link to nowhere just give you a {{hug}} smile

Liffey Sun 26-Oct-08 15:51:55

no, but I haven't been ill since 2002....

I have this weird fantasy about going to hospital for minor surgery, I don't know, can't think what. But anyway, it's not life-threatening, but I have to stay two nights, and I bring books and a magazine...

soultaken Sun 26-Oct-08 15:57:27

LOL Liffey, my fantasy is to be sentenced to prison for 3 months, which I spend sleeping, lying on my bed reading a book, eating 3 meals a day someone else cooks and going to the gym for one hour a day. smile

To the OP - YANBU - being a mother is a horrible job.

Liffey, I sometimes feel the same! I thought it was just me.

I have been really ill since Weds, The DC broke up Tues and DH in Aus until for another week yet. (He is then back 2 days, away 3, back 4 and away 7)

The DC have watched an awful lot of TV whilst I've snoozed on the sofa all week.

InNeed I do hope you feel better soon, I think I am on the mend - I have the energy to type!

NoblesseOblige Sun 26-Oct-08 16:00:39

this is why beebies was invented. much sympathy.

MadamDeathstare Sun 26-Oct-08 16:02:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GreenMonkies Sun 26-Oct-08 16:03:48

of course YABU, as a mother you are no longer entitled to any days off sick. It's in the small print, didn't you read it?? wink

I do sympathise, I have just had a hideous tummy bug on top of a nasty cold, and DP was working nights, so sleeping til lunch time and then off to work at about 4.30pm, leaving me to feed, bath and put the girls to bed by myself.

I just wanted to curl up (near the toilet) and die, but sadly that wasn't an option. Not fun.

Hope you feel better soon.

LOL @ the cat sick!

geekgirl Sun 26-Oct-08 16:08:43

LOL to discover I'm not the only one harbouring hospitalisation fantasies grin! I almost got admitted to hospital a couple of years ago with an gland infection of some sort - was gutted when the oral antibiotics worked at home and I didn't get the two days of peace and quiet I'd been hoping for.

nooOOOoonki Sun 26-Oct-08 16:18:28

I remember being in a and e when pregnant with DS2 - nothing serious - deep finger cut needing on stitch - DS1 was 17 months I was hugely pregnant and I got FOUR hours to myself twas heaven, smile

now I have ME, so every frigging day I am ill and no bugger gives me a day off, my bosses are so inconsiderate, maybe they will improve with age, or else I shall have to get the union in. grin

InNeedOfSleep Sun 26-Oct-08 16:20:07

Gee thanks gals, feel better for laughing at the cat sick and prison/ hospital fantasies! grin Gonna sink into a hot bath now and let my little angel fulfil her organising mummy needs around me in the bathroom (you know, rearranging shampoo bottles and the like) so it's not as relaxing as a soak with a book and hot toddy but I'm not off duty til at least 7.30 so best not, eh?

I've now got to go and collect my darlings from their Granny's house where they have been since lunchtime, my rest is up.

I have just about recovered from driving them there earlier, I just hope she exhusted them raking leaves (or some other child slavery) whislt she had them so I can just put them to bed on their return and sleeeeep!

Have a relaxing bath InNeed.

needsomeonetotalkto Sun 26-Oct-08 17:25:54

I find this the toughest part of parenting. YANBU. Hope you feel batter soon.smile

TheProvincialLady Sun 26-Oct-08 17:33:34

Oh dear poor you, it is awful isn't it?

I remember having to sit up and express for my DS (who was only fed EBM from a bottle as he wouldn't latch on) whilst simultaenously throwing up into a bucket and also whilst half unconscious from the general anaesthetic when I had to go to hospital. No one tells you about that before you get pregnant!

Hope you are better soonsmile

AphroditeInHerNightie Sun 26-Oct-08 17:42:16

You poor thing, I really feel for you. I've had this low grade virus thing for the past few weeks that just drains me of energy and tolerance. The kids have absolutely no concept of the fact that Mummy is sick and knackered and continue with their usual shenanigans. Doesn't help that DH is at work and I'v no-one else to take them.
In fact, in sone respects, they are worse than normal as I haven't had the strength to take them out or engage them in some way so they expend their built-up energy boredom and frustration in running around the house like crazed maniacs, arguing and jumping on a very annoyed mummy lying on the sofa. There's only so many DVDs I can fob them off with before they get twitchy.
Then of course, I get frustrated and angry, start shouting, then feel guilty for taking it out on them, and the downward spiral continues.
DH gets in the neck, too - if he's sick then he gets time off work to spend languishing in bed. Sometimes I really resent that.
Got no solutions for you except to say you YA really, really, really NBU and my heart goes out to you. Hope you're better soon x

GAAHHH <hijack> (as it doesn't warrant it's own thread but need to moan)

I intimated earlier that driving to MIL's tired me out, the price I had to pay for a few hours off though.

By the time I drove to collect them I was exhausted and my arms felt like lead.

AS I turned (in the pitch dark) right across such a narrow lane (so you cannot swing left to get the angle correct) into my MIL's ridiculously narrow gateposts in my very large car I had the drivers side from back door all the way to the bumper on the post.

Sob, Sob, Sob. It is only 6 mths old as well. I've been turning into that drive for nearly 20 years in various sized cars. They are stupid gates/posts and she never closes them so I can't see the point. I know it only happened because I am ill.

I know it isn't the end of the world but GAAHHHH!

mumof2andabit Sun 26-Oct-08 19:41:29

I feel your pain. Dh was at work dc's awake and ever so lively. Morning sickness hit. On my run to the bathroom I was followed by ds 'come and play with me, why not, why not, why not, what you doing mummy?'.

beeny Sun 26-Oct-08 19:45:29

So sorry marmaduke.I have decided to become prolific shoplifter so i can be sent to prison for a shorttime.I am pregnant and ill with a 2 year old who has had an infection.dh not well.

Earthymama Sun 26-Oct-08 19:46:24

Oh bless you, it's just horrid when you are so poorly and some awful happens. Can you ask ANYONE for some help tomorrow, because a day in bed will start you on the road to recovery.

If not just make a den out of chairs and blankets near the sofa, tune into whatever they love to watch (from the den)and give them snacks to keep them quiet, it won't hurt them occasionally.

Disney channel has movies for Halloween tomorrow, though they may be too old or not into that.

fruitstick Sun 26-Oct-08 19:53:37

I had ia cold earlier in the week and had to either work or look after DS. And am pregnant so couldn't have anything apart from some poxy paracetemol and Vicks vaporub.

My husband has been in bed all weekend with the same cold. There has been much groaning and whining.

Shoplifting sounds like a great idea. I'm off to Whistles.

alphabetsoup Sun 26-Oct-08 19:54:23

aaghh...it's the worst thing about being a mother !

I'm with Aphrodite...to be fair my dh is reasonably good at soldiering on (but then aren't we all?) but when he's ill by god don't we know it. he just takes to (our)bed - not the spare room - announcing he's got manflu/ vom bug whatever...and just takes time out.

Wish i could do likewise !

thatsnotmymonster Sun 26-Oct-08 19:55:07

rofl at fantasising about being sent to prison grin.

YANBU AT ALL- the times when I have been ill I have actually wished I had appreciated being ill BEFORE DC!!!! Oh what bliss to lie in bed with cosy duvet and hot water bottle, a book and maybe a slice of toast and a hot cuppa, to be able to vomit your guts up and then have a relaxing bath, put clean pj's on and go back to bed to recuperate- aaaaaahh.

The reality with dc's is rather different- running to bathroom to throw up then back to finding them something decent to eat etc etc.

nappyzonehasastroppytoddler Sun 26-Oct-08 19:59:40

I totally sympathise - ship them off to bed early and curl up.

I suffered tonsilitus last year about 5 times in succession and so desperate for sleep refered myself for a tonsilectomy which i was really looking fwd to for the full nights sleep and rest up - got my letter which said i had to be released next day at 7am so not even a sleep in there! i cancelled the op blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now