Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think this is a bit much?

(67 Posts)
TeenyTinyTorya Sat 25-Oct-08 21:28:46

I was in a shop yesterday where the shopkeeper commented on a little toddler eating crisps. Her mum then said that she gives her dd a packet of crisps in every shop, otherwise she can't concentrate on her shopping. She then complained that the kid never eats her dinner. I was a bit hmm as her dd was about 2.

Please do not flame me or jump on me squealing "judge not unless you are a perfect mother". I'm just interested to know the ratio of people who think this is ok versus those who disapprove. grin

TeenyTinyTorya Sat 25-Oct-08 21:29:15

I did say shop a lot in that OP, didn't I? hmm

differentWitch Sat 25-Oct-08 21:29:47

I hate it when people eat in shops anyway, especially if there are clothes on sale.

SqueakyPop Sat 25-Oct-08 21:29:57

Shame to have her dd in nosebag of crisps.

SharkyandGeorge Sat 25-Oct-08 21:30:54

Crisps for a toddler, ok.

Crisps in every shop not so ok, surely she can think of something else to keep her DD entertained - a book to look at maybe?

ToThrottleABlackBird Sat 25-Oct-08 21:31:14

Maybe she meant 'everytime she went shopping' I know we have to give dd something to eat whilst food shopping and she is only 14months.

KatieDD Sat 25-Oct-08 21:31:15

Honestly the older you get the less you care about other peoples strange eating habits, life is way too short.
I hope you were buying yourself something nice in the shop.

Cupofteaplease Sat 25-Oct-08 21:31:37

Sometimes, when people comment on my parenting (as the shopkeeper did in the OP), I say any old waffle as I feel flustered or embarrassed. IM humble O, it is highly unlikely that the little girl eats crisps in every single shop.

MurderousMarla Sat 25-Oct-08 21:31:51

Shopkeeper?

beansmum Sat 25-Oct-08 21:31:56

Maybe she doesn't shop very often. I probably wouldn't give a 2yo crisps but I wouldn't disapprove of someone else doing it, I probably wouldn't even notice.

differentWitch Sat 25-Oct-08 21:33:45

It's entirely possible that every shop is right- I have seen multi-packs of crisps being opened as they walk in the door with 1 child and only half the pack left going out- so that's 3 packs in one sitting.

nooOOOoonki Sat 25-Oct-08 21:33:55

I think a whole pack of crisps is too much for a toddler, poor kid will be another obesity stat in 5 years time.

Tippychick Sat 25-Oct-08 21:34:07

I give my 2yo food to get round the shops, sure. I'm not trying on frocks, I'm a Lp and she has to come with me to the supermarket. Sometimes she gets narky. I feed her
Don't see the problem?

CapricaSpoox Sat 25-Oct-08 21:35:32

depends what "in every shop" means. If it's once a week, no problem, if she's in 3 shops a day that's a bit excessive! grin
Shouldn't need to be a packet of crisps every time though should it?

It is very difficult going shopping with a toddler though, there are times you'd just do anything to get something done innit. even now at 5 yo i hate even just popping to the shops with dd because i get "can i have this?" every 3 seconds. i tend to pop to the shop on the way to work these days, and order most stuff online.

TeenyTinyTorya Sat 25-Oct-08 21:46:26

Every shop is what she said, not every shopping day, and the shopkeeper wasn't commenting on her parenting, she was laughing at the little girl because she was playing with the crisp packet.

I didn't buy anything nice unfortunately Katie, I haven't got any money lol!

I'm interested at the comments about it being hard to shop with a toddler - mine loves going out, and has a "friend" in every shop who he always talks to - we live in a small town and he's quite a character grin

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses wink

Tippychick Sat 25-Oct-08 21:52:10

You're lucky TTT, my DD has a very low boredom threshold and going everywhere by bus means we have to shop most days to be able to carry it home. So I do regularly give her a banana, crisps sometimes, breadsticks etc to get home in one piece. Better that than shouty mummy I feel.

I do have a line I won't cross re shoplifting though, I will open bags of fruit or crisps but I won't give her anything that has to be weighed. Does that mean I'm let off? wink

CapricaSpoox Sat 25-Oct-08 21:54:58

Come to think of it, having said it is difficult going shopping with a toddler, my dd was great when she was a toddler, she loved shopping and was v good in terms of not running off, etc, besides i could use the buggy if i wanted. It's now she's 5 it's a drag! grin

TeenyTinyTorya Sat 25-Oct-08 21:56:38

Oh buses are a nightmare! I can't get ds to sit still on one if I have to fold down the pushchair, but moving around on the bus makes him throw up. I'm very grateful that my town is within walking distance.

I can't talk about the shoplifting, as my mum took me out of Woolworths when I was 18mths old only to find that my pushchair was full of small toys that I had been nicking as we went along blush

meandmyjoe Sat 25-Oct-08 22:13:08

I have to give my ds something to eat when we go shopping to keep him occupied and not wanting to get out and run around (he's 14 months) we give him apple slices or crackers though so not quite as unhealthy. I have no problem with her giving her toddler crisps but I agree with throttle, maybe she meant one bag per trip as one bag per shop weems like a lot for a little child to manage and the salt content must be too high.

sunnygirl1412 Sat 25-Oct-08 22:42:46

I got really annoyed in the supermarket once, when I saw a mother take bananas from the fruit and veg section and give one to her daughter before paying for it. It wasn't in a barcoded bag, but was weighed at the checkout, btw.

The till staff were equally aghast when I told them - and I confess that I did confront her about it - and she told me that she'd paid for it because the skin went back in the bag - and got stroppy when I asked her how the scales had weighed the banana that was in her dd's stomach!

I never got into the giving snacks in the supermarket thing, but I can understand how some parents do - I think I was just lucky that my kids didn't kick off too much. If giving your child a snack in Tesco's helps you get the weekly shop done without losing what remains of your sanity, then do it. Just make it something you've taken in with you, or something from a barcoded packet so that you pay for it at the end.

wessexghoul Sat 25-Oct-08 22:44:09

Well, it isn't something I'd do.

Which makes it totally bloody unreasonable, I'd say wink.

Ronaldinhio Sat 25-Oct-08 22:48:52

mumsnet is full of excellent tips I had never considered the bag of crisps route until now..........

CapricaSpoox Sat 25-Oct-08 22:58:32

TeenyTiny - my dd was the same on buses (she still feels sick on a long bus ride), when she was little she used to want to get out of the buggy but if she stayed in she'd fall asleep quickly. Once when I gave in & let her out (like you said, hard bloody work wriggling around etc, and my stomach not the best on the road either), the bus had to do an emergency stop & i nearly cracked her head open on the handle bar thingy in front so never again.

I had to sit out of her sight because it was a nightmare if i was in view, (cue lots of screaming) and one time she was whinging as they do, about to fall asleep any minute, and a nosy old bag just before she got off the bus started on at me about how i wasn't fit to be a mother and that i should be looking after my daughter. angrysad i didn't even have a chance to defend myself. we'd had a really great day as well, doing loads of fun things together. I was mortified, i was convinced the rest of the bus (who heard it all) were thinking the same thing.

Flum Sat 25-Oct-08 23:03:36

Yeah kids eating in the street is such poor manners anyway. Can't bear seeing toddlers in pushchairs covered in raisins and crumbs and ricecakes.

Feed them then go out.

In our family the only thing that you can eat in the street is an icecream. Its the same rule my mum had.

Loads of my friends seem to shove food at their toddlers constantly, everytime they twitch or bleat about something!

Flum Sat 25-Oct-08 23:05:00

Don't object as much to on a bus. Its the mess they drop around behind them.

Having said that I would not shop with hungry kids - nightmare. I can't shop hungry either. My DH calls it shopping with a loaded gun as you just buy rubbish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now