Talk

Advanced search

In not to expect mouthwash to clog up pipes in bathroom

(7 Posts)
mowbraygirl Fri 24-Oct-08 17:17:04

I am new here so hope I have not put this in wrong thread. We had new bathroom installed 10 years ago fine till 18 months ago and suddenly water from basin was draining very slowly. Called in our local plumber as we tried everything and what ever was blcoking it wouldn't shift. He had to put in new pipe the old one absolutely clogged up was like concrete. Now it has happened again worse than ever. I am very careful about what goes down sink so was puzzled till I thought about a wellknown mouthwash that my DH was using till about a month ago. I was always complaining that it left a greasy film in the basin and to remove required a spray and clean. DH went onto the internet and found other people had had the same problem and had contacted manufacturer but so far no reply. The advert for it says see the results in the basin after you have used it and in my pipes as well. I wouldn't mind but it didn't do much for DH teeth in fact discoloured a couple. Has anyone else came across this problem?

vjg13 Fri 24-Oct-08 17:19:13

Do you have to mix this mouthwash and is it 2 layers?

GentleGarotter Fri 24-Oct-08 17:23:50

It sounds like your drains and pipes are blocked - mouth rinse should not cause a problem with pipes.

This can be a bit dangerous but pour neat caustic soda down the sinks wait an hour then pour boiling water down them. Try and stand well back when you do this and wear rubber gloves.

If you try this a couple of times and the sink still seems blocked then you might well have to get drain cleaning people in.

Furball Fri 24-Oct-08 17:27:50

Our sink in our old house (which was a new build and we were first in) blocked up and dh blamed my mouthwash he said it stank of it in the pipes! It is the one that VJG13 mentions and yes it leaves results in the sink.

we had the same trouble with this mouthwash! we used a pipe clearer that forces air through the pipes (but we forgot to plug up the bathtub and there was a geiser of black crud!)

wonderstuff Fri 24-Oct-08 17:31:33

DH uses said mouthwash and we have slow draining at the mo, i wonder...?

mowbraygirl Sat 25-Oct-08 10:11:33

The plumber has been he had to use caustic soda and a very powerful plunger and managed to clear it. Could not believe what came out was just like white plaster must have been mouthwash mixed with soap. As he does a lot of call outs to basin blockages he will ask the customers if they use the said mouthwash. Yes it is the one that is in two layers and you shake it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now