Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To write to a local Head teacher about vandalism by his pupils at a play area.

(9 Posts)
Bathsheba Fri 24-Oct-08 12:08:03

We have a local play area near a secondary school - the amount of vandalism and graffiti has greatly increased since the start of the summer term.

On occasions when I have been at the park over either a school lunch time or break time I have been amazed at the behaviour of Academy pupils in a play area designed for Preschoolers.

I have witnessed swings being thrown over the crossbar during a break time (a sharp word from ourselves had that rectified before the pupil left, however we were stunned by the sheer mindlessness of doing the action in the first place when there were children and adults in attendance). There has also been a fire set on the equipment, as well as the huge increase in obscene graffiti which has already been mentioned – all of which has happened since the school returned in August. I’m sure if the head teacher saw it he would recognise some of the names scrawled all over the equipment.

In the current economic climate, the City Council cannot be expected to spend its much depleted funds on clearing up vandalism caused by secondary school pupils – however I don’t want my 4 year old and 2 year old to be playing on equipment declaring various pupils to be either paedophiles or homosexuals – or simply anywhere that starts that Leah and Danielle have been there.

Is it unreasonable to write to the head teacher to ask that any culprits who are identified (they have written their names all over it - Aeden especially likes his name) are made to clean up their mess and return this childs' play area to the community resource for young children that it should be.

LynetteScavo Fri 24-Oct-08 12:15:20

YANBU to bring it to the attention of the head. I doubt the pupils should even be there at break/lunch time.

MamaG Fri 24-Oct-08 12:19:36

No, YANBU

nolongeraworriedmummy Fri 24-Oct-08 12:24:11

YANBU, I complained about something similar, the school kept bollocking them and eventually the council started to inform school that they would be liable for damage if it continued.

pingping Fri 24-Oct-08 12:40:26

YANBU but I would go to your local council and complain there and let them deal with it.

I know my council offers a reward for any information on Vandels

misshardbroom Fri 24-Oct-08 13:00:55

YANBU.

In a similar vein, where do we stand on teenage boys wearing the uniform of a particular school cycling along pavements where you're trying to walk your reception age child & 2 preschoolers to primary school?

childrenofthecornsilk Fri 24-Oct-08 13:03:10

Are they in uniform? If so then definitely report them.

loobeylou Fri 24-Oct-08 13:09:12

OP - def not BU at all, the Head will not want a bad reputation for the school and will be pleased you reported it to his attention. Had a similar prob with grafitti in public loos over the summer, DD age 7 reading all the rude stuff out loud!!

re: cycling on the pavement, is the boy rude/dangerously fast/aggressive? How old is he? How busy is the road there?

Bathsheba Fri 24-Oct-08 13:09:21

Hi

Thanks everyone - yes, the pupils are definately from that school - in uniform and out in school break times before returning to the school when the bell rings - and the amount of graffitti that appears is noticeably less when the school is on holidays.

I've written a letter and I'll send the council parks dept a copy of it too so they are aware of the situation.

MissHardBroom - I'd also write to the school on that - surely they can put something in the daily notices, or have it brought up in the "citizenship" classes they must now all teach...!

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now