Talk

Advanced search

To think I should be able to have a council house?

(384 Posts)
frustratedmumof3 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:18:47

Ho hum - must stop my addiction to MN as will not have time from next week so my cunning plan is to piss off as many people as possible so I will be frightened to come on here hmm.

So, my local council are building lots of lovely new council or housing association (don't care what they are) homes in my area with brand spanking new kitchens, bathrooms, lovely new carpets etc, etc and I am thinking why should the so-called vulnerable members of society (who are most probably going to wreck the places) be higher on the housing list than us.

We rent privately (since we sold our house 2 years ago as could not afford the mortgage) and I don't see that we will ever be able to afford another house. We pay well over a grand for a 3 bed (3DCs) and have the insecurity of potentially having to move every 6 months at the owners whim which is the worst thing (have already moved 3 times since started renting).

It really makes me mad that quite a few of DCs friends have council houses where they pay only 350 per month and probably earn similar wages to us (the ones that work that is). What makes them deserve one more than us? I know damn well that we will not get one of the new homes as there are about 5000 people in the queue before us and they will probably go to single parents, immigrants and and generally useless members of society who do not work and have no intention of doing so. We pay our taxes and would appreciate any help we were given (as we need it now) but will get sweet FA. Makes me want to scream!! This thread may be unusual as I am not dissing council house tenants as I desperately want to be one (in a new build anyway).

needmorecoffee Wed 22-Oct-08 20:20:56

they are more needy than you. Thats how they are alloacted.
Fancy a house going to a useless member of society like a disabled person or single mum hmm
Get yourself on the list and wait.

DecayingDisaster Wed 22-Oct-08 20:21:45

Join the queue. eventually 9hopefully) you will get to the top and by then they'll have built a load more spanking shiney new houses just for you.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 22-Oct-08 20:22:13

Message withdrawn

AnarchyAunt Wed 22-Oct-08 20:23:11

Message withdrawn

Twelvelegs Wed 22-Oct-08 20:23:12

Put yourself on the list and wreck a house when you get one too!!

needmorecoffee Wed 22-Oct-08 20:23:23

my mum was a single parent and got a council house. She's an old lady now in a council bungalow. Shall we heave her out onto the street?

FrockHorror Wed 22-Oct-08 20:23:29

hmm

traceybath Wed 22-Oct-08 20:23:51

Think your plan will work and you will be too scared to come back on MN.

Seriously no saying you'd get a shiney new house - could end up with a grotty house in a horrible area.

Get on the list though if thats what you want.

Overmydeadbody Wed 22-Oct-08 20:24:38

I'd like clarification too, so will join the queue with stewiegriffins mum.

Have you thought of putting your names down on the register though? It's quite simple really.

BoysAreLikeZombies Wed 22-Oct-08 20:24:48

You so are dissing existing council tenants.

'So-called vulnerable members of society'.

Sheesh.

OTOH, why not just fuck off this week instead of next? Just a thought.

thisisyesterday Wed 22-Oct-08 20:25:55

frustratedmum, if you can afford to pay £1k a month on rent then how on earth can you not afford a mortgage?

I am in a relatively expensive area of the uk and pay £875 a month on a 3 bed house.

PsychoAxeMurdererMum Wed 22-Oct-08 20:26:24

yup, you are gonna piss people off with that post I reckon.

useless members of society.........who are you to say that??? how do you not know whether they have come from an abusive marriage where they were almost killed???

me23 Wed 22-Oct-08 20:26:34

you are an idiot! Piss off with your jealousy, I hope you never get a council house or new build as you will be giving them a bad name.
I'm a housing association tennant btw, I was a single mum, but not useless at all oh and suprisingly I work and pay taxes. hmm

Overmydeadbody Wed 22-Oct-08 20:26:39

<sits on hands>

WigWamBam Wed 22-Oct-08 20:26:50

Nice.

hmm

<decides not to waste breath and steps away from thread>

WorzselMummage Wed 22-Oct-08 20:27:12

I dont think that is what she was saying atall hmm

A lot of council tennents are complete wastrels who don't deserve one brick of the house they have been given.. or a penny they are then 'given' to pay for it.. .of course that doesnt include the disabled or single parents who CANT work.

Yanbu unreasonable atall to hope that as someone who helps themselves you might get a little help along the way.

We waited for years on the council list and eventually managed to get a tiny mortgage on a shared ownership house, we'd have been waiting forever otherwise.

i feel your frustration.

Very strange and nasty OP. hmm Single parents and immigrants and generally useless members of society?

AnarchyAunt Wed 22-Oct-08 20:27:59

Sorry but I can't grace this with anything better.

ScottishMummy Wed 22-Oct-08 20:28:12

me thinkey FMO3 just looking for a scrap being deliberately provocative.or she is a numnut

expatinscotland Wed 22-Oct-08 20:28:43

why don't you put yourself on the list then?

we are on the list even though we don't have a hope in hell of being housed until our landlord returns from abroad and formally gets us out.

we'll never be able to afford our own property so got ourselves on the queue.

even though we are housed now at least they know we're on the list and can just adjust our points when necessary.

SharkyandGeorge Wed 22-Oct-08 20:29:07

But you have a house as you rent privately so you are not in priority need unlike many people on the list who will be. There is housing benefit or local housing allowance to help you out if you don't earn enough to cover your rent.

There is a huge shortage of council housing in my area, mainly because everyone has brought their house through the right to buy scheme, they have started building more but I doubt there will ever be enough for everyone who wants/needs ones so has to be given in order of priority and as you are housed in a place big enough for your family you will probably be in for a long wait.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 22-Oct-08 20:29:15

Message withdrawn

FAQ Wed 22-Oct-08 20:29:47

<<<<<<<tries to follow the example of other MNers but hasn't got the same self-restraint>>>>>>>

who the fuck do you think you are??

<<<<<<<<<<<<rest of message deleted by FAQ rather than wasting MNHQ's time doing it for her>>>>>>>>

expatinscotland Wed 22-Oct-08 20:29:55

but i don't understand. if you think people who are council tenants are all wastrels, why do you want to live near them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now