Talk

Advanced search

to make DH hold PFB for her next set of jabs?

(14 Posts)
Talia1 Wed 22-Oct-08 13:31:36

He made me hold her for the first lot and has admitted to being a wuss. Will it just scar him altogether to hold his daughter while someone sticks a needle in her?

conkertree Wed 22-Oct-08 13:33:23

if he doesnt like needles - i wouldnt bother. my dh cant stand needles, and i dont mind them, so reckoned ds would be much calmer if i held him than dh - and he was. Cried for about 10 seconds then was fine and smiled at the hv on the way out.

if you dont like needles though, the opposite would work too.

wilbur Wed 22-Oct-08 13:33:24

rofl

I have done all jab duties for 3 dcs because if I didn't dh would either (a) "forget" to go, or (b) pass out and drop said children on the floor. he is rubbish.

I think you should make your dh do it next time, but be handy with the smelling salts.

hifi Wed 22-Oct-08 14:29:56

i made dh do it as im too busy blubbing.

I did all ours, apart from DD's last jab which I didn't feel was necessary, she was still freaked by the last lot... i told DH if he felt strongly about her going, he could take her.

Oddly enough, she hasn't had it!

TeeBee Wed 22-Oct-08 14:37:04

Personally, I don't want anyone to do them but me. It hurts and they need comfort afterwards. I want to be there to do that for them.

Took my DS2 for his pre-school jabs last week and someone's granny had taken them. The little girl came out crying clutching her arm. The granny was laughing her head off, saying 'what are you crying for?' and obviously playing to the crowd. Stupid cow.

Talia1 Wed 22-Oct-08 14:38:07

It's the way that he comforted her by saying "Did nasty Mummy stick nasty needles in you?" that makes me want him to do it next time.

He has no issue with needles as such, just pain in general.

Seeline Wed 22-Oct-08 14:38:10

DH volunteered to do the second lot with DS (now 7) He never volunteered again, either with DS or DD - wonder why? TBH it's never been a major problem for me as the nurses at my practice seem to be brialliant at doing them and the kids hardly seem to notice - even pre-school boosters when they knew what was happening.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 22-Oct-08 14:39:30

Are you breastfeeding? If so then YABU as you could feed her for comfort whereas your dh can't.

handbagqueen Wed 22-Oct-08 14:41:09

DH did have to take PFB DD - who screamed the place down and continues to scream and sob for 30 mins after. I took DD2 who cried for 5 seconds as the needle went in. Not sure if its the parent or child that caused the extemes of reaction.

LIZS Wed 22-Oct-08 14:41:10

You both go to the jabs ? I don't think dh went to any of either of ours.

wb Wed 22-Oct-08 14:42:04

With ds1 (pfb) I did the first round w. my mum for moral support. Needle went in, pfb started crying, my mum burst into tears!

Dh got to do the rest of his vaccines, whilst I waited at home wringing my hands and nursing phantom pains in my legs.

W. ds2 (nsc) we were expecting him to need major surgery by the time vaccinations came round. Compared to that, I had no problems about taking him for an injection. sad ~Now that that has turned out to be a false alarm I am back to being a wuss again.

YANBU (but I suspect I am).

cory Wed 22-Oct-08 18:21:29

Depends on your dh. My dad actually passes out at the sight of blood and needles so would be pretty hopeless. Db would probably be pretty useless for same reason.

Dh on the other hand would be as good at comforting as I would be, so would be fine.

MamaHobgoblin Wed 22-Oct-08 21:16:09

If he's phobic I'd be merciful and hold her yourself. I have needlephobia and we agreed that dh would do the holding of our pfb because I didn't want my fear rubbing off on him. I still went in though - couldn't bear to stay outside either! Daft really, when they forget it in 30 seconds. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now