Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think other mother should pay towards new tennis racket?

(10 Posts)

dd just started tennis lessons. She and another girl swap rackets dd says. Other girl prefers dd's.
Yesterday the other girl sat on the head of the racket and pulled the handle making it bend and effectively making it unplayable.
It was a pretty cheap Dunlop racket that I bought 2 years ago but I wasn't expecting to have to buy another one for a while.

Should I tell the mother what happened and suggest that she pay a tenner towards the new racquet or do I just say nothing and tell dd not to swap again?

aggh meant racquet not racket

CountessDracula Tue 21-Oct-08 17:43:36

the latter

blueskyandsunshine Tue 21-Oct-08 17:44:00

I would buy a new one but tell the mother what happened and don't ask for money. Before you say anything, are you sure it was the other girl that did it? If you are sure tell her you've told your dd no swapping and could she please tell her dd that too.

I'm sure she'd be mortified, it's a shame but I think you need to say something but not expect her to stump up. She might anyway, out of embarrassment, but you do need to say something if only to make sure it doesn't happen again.

DrNortherner Tue 21-Oct-08 17:44:40

I wouldn't say anything

GylesBandwidth Tue 21-Oct-08 17:46:55

Let it go.
Tell DD not to swap again.

morningpaper Tue 21-Oct-08 17:48:41

don't mention it

she will think you are mad

invite her to play instead (the child, not the mother)

BitOfFun Tue 21-Oct-08 17:48:54

Get a new one, and send her the bill.

blueskyandsunshine Tue 21-Oct-08 17:54:53

no she won't think you're mad if you say it the right way I reckon

just say -- I've had to tell dd not to swap rackets, can you say it to yours too etc etc

otherwise your dd might find it hard to say no next time, I mean I don't know how confident she is but it's not always easy is it?

I think I may be too much of a wimp to ask her for money anyway. dd said that the teacher had seen her do it and said 'hey, don't do that to your racquet or your mum will have to buy a new one. The girl laughed and said 'it's not mine, it's hers' and then said to dd 'I broke your racquet, ha, ha.' in a giggly sort of way.

dd is not confident at all so there's no way she'd confront her about it. She just said 'I know' but she did say afterwards that she wouldn't swap again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now